89 MIJ Fender Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by ptate, May 11, 2007.

1. ptate

ptate V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Got one of these as a bag of bits that had been thrown together with a knackered, plywood body!?!?! (the original body had been mashed!).

Threw the ply away, then bought an '89 MIJ body (Nice lump of Alder in red) and put it back together.

Well, I hated it. After a lot of messing about, the action wouldn't go down, the "twang" from the singles didn't so anything for me, so I chucked it in a bag and left it rotting in the corner.

Then, last week..............I dig it out (for my every-so-often play; I do it with all my axes), clean up the sound on my amp (I "gained it" previously) and......BANG.......loved it.....SRV/Floyd/Frusciante tones a plenty........Played it for hours, then went back to my '70 GT/'90 Standard thrashing.

Didn't get the action too low, but it didn't seem to matter. I was amazed at the soul in her tone. I did replaced the pups some time ago with a new set of Fender Hendrix's, but ........Yeehaw.

So I now have a metal guitar (my '90 ebony Standard), rock/blues machines (both my '70 Deluxes) and a blues/Floyd/Frusciante maker (my Strat)....As well as the remainder of my "collection".

Anyway, to the point....Anyone else got an MIJ and what do you think?

I'll post pics later.

:thumb:

2. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I haven't got one now but I did have a foto flame one a while back. It was a great playing and sounding guitar. My only issues with it were relating to the metric parts which were pretty inferior to the American parts and of course difficult to interchange.
    foto flame1.jpg
    It was like this one

3. ptate

ptate V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Cheers Spence.

Here she is.

I've had no problems with the parts as yet, but.........

[​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

4. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

That's nice Pete. A proper nitro guard would look well on that wouldn't it.
    My mate Dave Dearnaley can supply you with a real nitro guard, pre-aged at a very reasonable price.

5. M.T. Pockets

M.T. Pockets V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

One of the best Strats I've ever played was a MIJ 54 Reissue.
    It was my number one for many years and served as back up when I got my 88 American Standard Hardtail.

She sat on the stand patiently waiting for me to break a string on the ASt, or for her moment of glory in the spotlight when we played Little Wing.

I bought the guitar from a bandmate in 92 who passed away a couple of years back.
    Well, in addition to my 88, I've got an 01 62 Vintage Reissue Strat now and really don't need Little Wing, but she has too much sentimental value to ever sell her. I gave Little Wing to my Godson Brandon Johnson. He's my drummer's son. Seems he picked up some musical abilities hangin' out in the band room all these years.

Brandon just turned 15.

[​IMG]

Give him a listen

Tom Burch - Moonpie's Music Page - MUSIC

6. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Got a MIJ Squire Strat, found locally in a pawnshop , Felt its mojo soon as I picked it up and plucked at it, Needed new bridge pieces , I didnt even plug it in, It was a Friday and folks were walkin in with cash, I didnt want somebody else gettin this magic MIJ , and wangled a deal for 150 out the door cash , Found the middle pickup not working but got that temp replaced, till I can get it re wound Replaced the bridge pieces with the newer Am Std type that are more palm friendly, straightened the neck , its now strung 10- 60s and its great, Local used guitar shop got 3 MIJ's in, and had one in already, He tried mine against all the rest and agreed that mine was far and away the best of the lot over all , I have a habit of naming my guitars that I really love, my Strat is " Suzie Creamcheese " from a VERY old Zappa song , I really like American Std Strats alot but I think this one is better than the Am Stds I have had , I gotta get Suzie's picks on here

7. jimmydeuce

jimmydeuce Senior Member

I've got a foto flame strat just like the one pictured except I got rid of the MOP guard for an aged one (more cream than green). Great sounding Strat.

8. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

If you're having a hard time with the action, you could try putting a shim in the neck pocket and adjusting the angle. No thicker than a credit card is usually necessary, and it can make all the difference!