'85 LP Custom Info

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by Jupa, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Jupa

Jupa Senior Member

Was directed from the main forum here. Didn't realize Norlin ended in '86! Anyway:

Walked into GC on a whim earlier, and an '85 LP Custom caught my eye since I've been looking to get a new custom for a while. They were about to close and it was on the top rung so I said I'd come back tomorrow. It was priced in the low $2000s but had a Bigsby on it at some point (not currently) and had the tuners replaced. I asked if everything else was original and the manager said 'yeah,' though I'm not sure how much he really knew. It had gold tophat knobs which looked cool, but I'm not sure those are original.

It's not the Ferrari Red model, it looked more like a dark Wine Red and did have a black pickguard. Should these pickups be Shaws? Is there anything else I should specifically know about this run/year?

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Yep, should be Shaws.
    Specs stayed about the same practically until just recently with regard to the body.....9-hole weight relief, mahogany/maple top mahogany neck.
    Electrics could be some low rated pots....maybe 300k/100k.

But the price is a bit high methinks for that era and non-original parts.

Jupa likes this.
  3. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Knobs should be black and I think most likely Speed knobs.

4. Becker34

Becker34 Senior Member

My '85 LPC that I've had since '86 has speed knobs. Should have Shaws with the little "patent applied for" stickers on the pickup rings if original and not worn off:
    [​IMG]
    No volute. Not sure which pots are in it, mine is original as far as I can tell. If you can make out the numbers, have at it:
    [​IMG]

Jupa likes this.
  5. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

Sounds interesting. It would help if you could post a few photos after your visit. Originality and non-headstock breakage are the key factors in determining price.

Did the Bigsby leave holes or scars otherwise? If so the low 2000s seems too high - even if hardware and pups are original.

6. Trogly

Trogly Premium Member

I just reviewed an '85 Custom in Ferrari Red. As stated earlier - Mahogany Neck and weight relieved body (though still generally heavy guitars) with maple top and ebony fretboard. 60s to medium feeling neck profiles and should still have tim shaw pickups if original. They may or may not still have a date stamp on the back of them

Changed tuners aren't too big of a deal if they fit the same foot print as the original tuners - it's when there are exposed holes left open when the value goes down a bit. Bigsby holes on the front take more off the price of a guitar than you'd think. Depending on where in the low 2s we are talking about and if it still has the shaws would determine if it is a good buy or not. It sounds like it is priced about right for a wine red from this era being sold by a dealer.

7. Becker34

Becker34 Senior Member

Yuuup. My non-weight relieved '80 Standard is noticeably lighter than my LPC. Couldn't tell ya the difference though, I've never weighed either guitar.

8. Trogly

Trogly Premium Member

For reference, the weight relieved '85 Custom in my video weighs 10lbs 10oz. A solid bodied '78 Standard I've previously had weighed 10lbs 2oz

Becker34 likes this.
  9. Jupa

Jupa Senior Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I checked it out earlier today.

Up close, the thing was quite a bit more beat than I realized (quite a number of noticeable dings). Add that to the fact that GC offered me a joke amount for the item I was going to trade in, and I decided to pass. I got to play it; it was very good, but not amazing. There are two holes from the Bigsby, and there are holes from the previous tuners too. I still want another custom, but this wasn't the one. Onward!

10. Progrocker111

Progrocker111 Senior Member

Generally in 80s they used perhaps the heaviest mahogany ever... Even in late 80s.