81 Les Paul Custom, Help With Value?

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by The Ballzz, Sep 5, 2017.

1. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Oh sh!t, I think I'm in trouble! :run: While sitting here sipping my scotch, I've not been able to put this guitar down (except for refills, of course) long enough to even change the old crusty strings. :beer:It needs very little in the setup department and it's pretty obvious this was owned by a player! I've not even yet plugged it in (except at the pawn shop to confirm functionality), as I kinda know what these pups will probably sound like. On the other hand, the more I play it, the more I think that I owe this guitar and the former owner who obviously poured so many years of lovin' into it and has likely passed, the respect and homage to at least get it back to the top level of "his" glory and rock it a bit! It may actually be kinda stellar, as it is! :cool2: Then, once I've put it through it's paces, I can decide how far to go into it and whether or not to even sell it. I think this is gonna be a hard one to let go!:eek: This was supposed to be a planned flip! The wife is gonna cut my nutzz off. Oh well, she's already got 'em in a vice! :rolleyes: I'm trying to convince her that buying and selling guitars can be profitable, while being able to keep the "CHOICE" pieces, but the problem is, that if they're actually nice, I fall in love and wanna keep 'em!:naughty: GAS is a real disease!

Just Sayin'
    Gene

1981 LPC and Kris Ford like this.
  2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I somehow knew it would "grab" ya...they have a way of doing that..and those pickups are meant to punish a NMV Marshall' pre-amp. I bet that guitar had a heavy metal, or even Southern Rock past. :D

3. Britbender

Britbender Senior Member

Nice !!

Super D. in the bridge and yer done ;)

Kris Ford likes this.
  4. 1981 LPC

1981 LPC Senior Member

1500 is a great price. Looks schweet too.

But man... 12 pounds... that seems heavy to lug around. Mine is 10 lbs. and that already feels up there. How does is feel on your shoulder?

5. Who

Who are you? Who who who who.... Premium Member

Tell your wife the $$$ was better spent here, than sitting in a bank. You stand to make more money than if it had sat in the bank for a dozen years.

Meanwhile, you have a guitar.

Even if the banks fail, and the market for old Les Pauls disappears, you still have a cool guitar. How can you go wrong?
    ------------------------------------------

Side note. I know a guy who emptied his 401K, and bought the first generation GTs.

He stuck in in a garage. It has outperformed his 401K.

At the time he said..... worst case, when I'm old, I'll be living in a seriously cool car!

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

It was considerably less than $1500, :naughty: ergo the impetus for flipping!

So far the weight just makes the guitar feel "substantial" but I'll have a better idea after a full rehearsal on Friday! :hmm:

Thanks Folks,
    Gene

Who likes this.
  7. HardCore Troubadour

HardCore Troubadour Senior Member

if it's too heavy....you are too old.

Kris Ford and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  8. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

It is heavy! And yes, I'm too old to be in a rock band, but fook 'em all!

You Got Mail!

Gene

HardCore Troubadour and Who like this.
  9. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

FYI, I have this Norlin, a 1980 Norlin LP Firebrand (best guitar I've ever owned), a 1981 LP Firebrand that got rfinished in black and is a "so-so" guitar and also one of the earlier "post Norlin" 1988 dot neck Studio that is a sheer workhorse! Too many others to mention here, but I plan to post pics of the whole "Famn Damily" one of these days!
    Thanks All,
    Gene

Kris Ford and Who like this.
  10. HardCore Troubadour

yeah man....my 78 "The paul" is just great.....I have $400 in it....100% stock including T-tops!

it is a take anywhere, play anything, guitar.

Kris Ford likes this.
  11. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Having played many "The Pauls" over the years, I must say that, IMHO, I prefer the sound of the all mahogany Firebrand over the walnut of The Paul. Fantastic format though. It basically works out to being a Les Paul Special/Junior thats been upgraded to ebony fingerboard (I love & lust for ebony), humbuckers and three piece mahogany neck! Simply a MONSTROUS guitar, that as you say is a "take anywhere, play anything, guitar." Mine has divots and scalloping between the frets, no finish left on the neck & little elsewhere and will soon be due for a re-fret with stainless! Oh, and a set of PAFs from 58! Tonal "ooey-gooey" goodness! It has inspired my whole style of playing, incorporating barely controlled harmonic feedback up and down the whole neck, that I lovingly refer to as "Screechin' & Squawkin'!" And no pedal/foot/stomp/thingies needed, except a wah-wah, of course! :naughty: Traditionally through a good Marshall, but more recently Tweed Deluxein' it!
    Thanx For Understanding A Maniac!
    Gene

Kris Ford likes this.
  12. HardCore Troubadour

They made The Paul in Standard and Deluxe models....Walnut and Hog, respectively.

13. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Iron Blimp's estimate of $2500 applies in my area as well. The desirable color and physical integrity would be the two big plusses; buyers are used to swapped PUs, so while that's a negative, it's not really major. Weight? Another negative... don't ask, don't tell. Virtually any Custom that's not seriously flawed is $2500 around here.

14. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

I'm out of touch with the US market. But I'm surprised it's worth much over $1,500 without the original pickups. And 12lbs. That's a lot for a regular player.

My buddy has a wine red '81, quite dinged up, and with a jumbo refret, but otherwise stock. I wonder what that'd be worth now. His must be under 10lbs. Very nice light Custom.

15. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Ferro Picta Carota

I just sold this '93 for $2,000 I think that's about right for yours as well.

[​IMG]