8 states just motioned to declare sovereignty

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by paul250, Feb 5, 2009.

1. paul250

paul250 Member

In case you didn't hear about it on the mainstream media
    (which you haven't because they want to keep us asleep), numerous states are currently declaring sovereignty, including:

Washington:
    HJM 4009 - 2009-10

New Hampshire:
    HCR 0006

Arizona:
    http://www.azleg.gov/Formatdocumentasp?inDoc=/legtext/49leg/1r/bills/hcr2024p.htm

Montana:
    http://data.opi.mt.gov/bills/2009/billhtml/HB0246.htm

Michigan
    http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(21...-2010/Journal/House/pdf/2009-HJ-01-22-002.pdf

Missouri:
    Missouri House of Representatives.HTM

Oklahoma:
    State legislator Charles Key Tenth Amendment Resolution « AxXiom for Liberty

Hawaii:
    HAWAII - INDEPENDENT & SOVEREIGN

Thought you guys in the US might want to see these, i thought it would make huge news!

BOBBO likes this.
  2. gravmy0

gravmy0 Senior Member

I don't quite understand...

What degree of independence are these States trying to achieve?

3. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

The Tenth Amendment, which makes explicit the idea that the federal government is limited only to the powers granted in the Constitution is generally recognized to be a truism. In United States v. Sprague (1931) the Supreme Court noted that the amendment "added nothing to the [Constitution] as originally ratified."

From time to time states and local governments have attempted to assert exemption from various federal regulations, especially in the areas of labor and environmental controls, using the Tenth Amendment as a basis for their claim. An often-repeated quote, from United States v. Darby, 312 U.S. 100, 124 (1941), reads as follows:

The amendment states but a truism that all is retained which has not been surrendered. There is nothing in the history of its adoption to suggest that it was more than declaratory of the relationship between the national and state governments as it had been established by the Constitution before the amendment or that its purpose was other than to allay fears that the new national government might seek to exercise powers not granted, and that the states might not be able to exercise fully their reserved powers.

4. gibiphone

gibiphone Senior Member

The poor 10th, the most abused and trampled upon amendment to the Constitution.

The Tenth Amendment, which makes explicit the idea that the federal government is limited only to the powers granted in the Constitution. . .

When did this ever stop the Federal Government in its boundless growth? For example, how could the Federal Government Constitutionally justify the 18th Amendment which banned the manufacture, sale, and transportation of alcohol?

5. The_Sentry

The_Sentry Senior Member

Wow.....let's see if they're willing to follow up on that.

If they're serious, then they'd make serious efforts to get rid of all federally run organizations in those states....including the closure of the military bases.

If they go that far...I'll believe their convictions towards seceeding.

6. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

The 18th amendment was ratified by the states. The Constutition has an amendment process and the conditions were met. No justification needed.

7. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

Bills are introduced to this effect during most legislative sessions. Do they ever come to a vote? Do they ever pass? What would it mean if these sort of resolutions were passed?

The title of this thread is misleading and inaccurate. As it is written, it doesn't make sense. How exactly does a state "motion"? Kooks repeatedly introducing symbolic bills in state legislatures is not news.

8. gibiphone

gibiphone Senior Member

You are correct, this was not the best example I could have come up with off the top of my head.

Of course it was ratified by 3/4 of the states as all amendments to the Constitution must be, after it was presented to the states by the House of Representatives and the Senate.

But to keep on a similar subject, an example of the trampling of the 10th Amendment would be the federally mandated drinking age of 21. Since when is that Federal rather than State, or even county business?

9. zplapplap

zplapplap Senior Member

This is a good example of bullying by Congress. Of course, Congress didn't act beyond their mandated powers here either. They simply used the power of the purse to deny federal highway funds to states that refused to change the drinking age to 21. The drinking age issue remains in control of the state legislatures. Any state could revert back to 18... if they can afford it :laugh2:

I agree with the larger point you are making regarding the federal government (though I am not a states-rights guy when it comes to civil liberties). I think the best examples of your point about the trampling of the 10th amendment generally involve the Interstate Commerce Clause as a means of intrusion.

10. gibiphone

gibiphone Senior Member

Yep, when your charter is pretty much customs, immigration, national defense, foreign alliances/treaties, posts, interstate commerce oversight etc, etc, you really use that interstate commerce clause to ride roughshod over the individual states. The badgering by Congress in areas, without its jurisdiction (21 year old drinking, 55 MPH speed limit, motorcycle helmet law etc), using the purse strings as a prod particularly as it applied to federal highway funds, is far beyond the scope of power outlined in the Constitution for the Federal Government. The big 10th again. In the case of federally mandated motorcycle helmet laws, good for the populace in forcing the elected reps to rethink and overcome the DOT desired Federal dictate, despite the threat by the Feds to withhold highway funds. :D

The whole Interstate Commerce Clause has been misused so often that its once mighty redwood stature should now have been reduced to a toothpick, eh?

But if I were to be so loose and free with my compliance with Federal Tax laws. . .jail time!!!

11. twinrider1

twinrider1 Senior Member

Paul250,
    Did you read the bills at the links provided?

12. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

Saw this bumper sticker this morning on the way to work. Plunked on the bumper of a beat up old Ford pickup truck:

Big Red and White Confederate Flag, next to it "Don't Blame Me I Voted For Jeff Davis"

got to love my new home state.

13. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Town and counties are always trying to secede. It happens all the time but rarely happens. Killington vermont has been trying to become part of New Hampshire and a little town near me is trying to break away from the county.

14. paul250

paul250 Member

i only posted this as i thought it was interesting news, and yes i did read the links before i posted it, i have no opinion on it just thought it was interesting!

15. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Yes I agree. I was not trying to belittle. I find it very interesting and it is an effective tactic that these local goverments use to put a spotlight on issues that usuall go unnoticed by the national media. It is all mostly symbolic as a way to protest unmet needs of that particular municipality or state.

16. bfcg

bfcg Senior Member

Yes
    Already with the don't blame me stickers. narrow mindedness is what got this country in trouble.

17. twinrider1

twinrider1 Senior Member

Claiming sovereignty does not mean they are seceding from the Union. That is not their intent.

18. IndianScout

IndianScout V.I.P. Member

I already live in a sovereign land inside the US,

19. The baron of norsworthy

The baron of norsworthy Senior Member

Guys

I read link but does anyone know what the states can do to inforce it??

However I live in the UK but I see know concrete argument in the text!!

20. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

i think thats wonderful.let the car companies give their loans back to the federal government and get it from the Sovereign State of Michigan...