70's Orange pics only OR 80 !

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by jojo, Oct 20, 2018.

1. jojo

jojo Senior Member

I've been wanting one of these for years ! Pics only OR 80. I had a 74 OR 120, but I really like this one better. VERY versatile , takes pedals well. Has great cleans and can get pretty knarly too ! Got an excellent deal on it and couldn't pass it up.
    [​IMG]

2. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

Nice find! I love the looks of those old Orange amps. It's my type of amp.....simple and very effective.

Classicplayer

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. Gridlock

Gridlock Senior Member

Very cool amp.

My amp collection is missing an Orange. I have a Marshall, Mesa, and Fender. I’ve owned five Oranges, my favorite was an old version Rocker 30 combo. Like to have that back.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    jojo likes this.
  4. jojo

jojo Senior Member

Thanks guys !

QUOTE="Gridlock, post: 8879550, member: 60418"]Very cool amp.

My amp collection is missing an Orange. I have a Marshall, Mesa, and Fender. I’ve owned five oranges, my favorite was a old version Rocker 30 combo. Like to have that back.[/QUOTE] .

I've had a bunch of Orange amps over the years. The one I regret getting rid of was my old rocker 30 head. Actually I've been wanting another one since I have enough higher wattage amps but I couldn't pass this up.

Gridlock likes this.
  5. Caoimhin

Caoimhin Senior Member

How is the gain on OR80/120? I've always stuck with modern Orange amps because I like to have a lot of gain without using pedals.

Off Topic: Does anyone think we'll see a new 100w tube amp for Oranges 50th this year?

jojo and Classicplayer like this.
  6. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

Good point re: “gain without using pedals”. I prefer the Rock and “clean” tones on my Orange amp without pedals. I guess I'm old school and boring, but these modern Orange amps (I use a Dark Terror) have so many colors in their gain structure, I just cannot see papering them over with dirt from a pedal, which in many cases is producing and adding to an already great sound.

Classicplayer

artis_xe likes this.
  7. jojo

jojo Senior Member

It’s very “classic rock “ sounding mainly. (also does doom and stoner rock tones, esp w pedals) The OR 120 was super clean until volume was dimed , then it had a good rock tone but was beyond loud . I’m in really, really loud bands but it was too loud unless you use a pedal. The OR 80 gets dirty at lower volumes . I always choose dirt and fuzz pedals that don’t take away from the amps natural tones but adds fuzz/gain or distortion.