70's les paul black beauty custom..hmmmmm idk?

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by judson, Sep 14, 2018.

1. judson

judson Senior Member

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338014323&icep_item=202433110298

was tempted to drive a few hours to inspect this but would like to know what the experts think....

i have decided to save the drive but i dont know if this is real or what ..

pickups look wrong and paint job looks like it was done with a brush, i asked seller for some numbers off the pots and they said i could drive up and inspect it...

maybe i am wrong and its a steal :dunno:

DarrellV likes this.
  2. judson

judson Senior Member

sooooo what?....nobody buys guitars off ebay anymore?

DarrellV likes this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

Looks good to me Juds! Do you have it yet??

The pickups look to be changed to EMG or something, no pole pieces.... Unless they are from an L-6s Super Humbuckers.

Or these! 70's Bill Lawrence true Blues...
    [​IMG]
    The body and cutout, bridge, 3 pieces showing on the head stock and made in USA under the serial look pretty legit...

Oh, and the volute!

judson likes this.
  4. DarrellV

judson and mudface like this.
  5. mudface

mudface Senior Member

Certainly a early seventies with the original fretless wonder frets... ABR...

Bill Lawrence pickups original?
    I think not...

But every else looks pretty damn tasty.

Worth a close inspection for sure.

judson likes this.
  6. judson

judson Senior Member

thanks guys...

once it hit $2k i started to forget it as i am not too sure if it legit...

it looks a bit rough which never scares me what scares me is paying $3k for a doctored up epiphone or import of sort...

so you think its legit...maybe i should make the drive

see the cutout where the binding usually is fat, looks like someone painted over it? was hoping for a 1970 as i got a few early 70's but no black custom...yet

the recent one in the MLP classifieds went for $3k which looked better than this i think

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    DarrellV and Oldskoolrob like this.
  7. DarrellV

Hard to fake legit Norlin funkiness! Muddy owns several from that period, that's why I called him in.

As you know, pickups are no big deal, but if those are legit BL they were made in the 70's so they are still period correct and a Gibson part...

Just up to you if you like the sound of them. And they are unique!

judson likes this.
  8. judson

judson Senior Member

i was going to drive up and try to buy it outright when it first hit and i saw it was a pawn shop but i am sure now they will let the auction roll...

dammm...i was hoping it was not correct and it wasnt legit...:laugh2:

not only do i have to drive up and look but

....once i touch it i have this feeling my wallet is gonna get hurt really bad and if they let me take a screwdriver to it and my jewlers eyepiece it probably all over if it checks out

maybe it is worth the drive :hmm:

here was the one that sold recently at MLP...

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/vi...paul-custom-black-beauty.415903/#post-8830917

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    mudface likes this.
  9. DarrellV

Well, does HE know its 'correct'? Those pickups are a good point make as not original and give you some haggle room.

I merely said they were from the same period and a Gibson part IF they are BL, and IF they came with it...

Neither of this has been proven.

10. judson

judson Senior Member

correct

the ebay bid already exceeds what i wanted to try and steal it for, i would not have much leverage in getting him to my opinion of value.

i also question if the sprayed over serial number is also hiding a neck repair

i am discounting the pups are of no value since i have no clue what they might be without digging into the guitar...so my value is going to be the value of a husk unless i get in the car and drive to see it.....

let me see how the weekend unfolds, i might take a drive

11. judson

judson Senior Member

last bid was $2045 plus shipping

interesting as someone bid $2,475.88 a day or so ago, then retracted it

the one guy that kept bidding , 40 times out of 63 bids placed, ended up with it

might have been some games being played there...got me to walk away when it was $2,505.25......glad i passed but maybe was a steal,

there will be others

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018