'69 SG, deal or no deal?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by GooCart, Dec 17, 2008.

1. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Hi,
    I'm interested in this early '69 SG. One piece neck, all original, except for the pups, they are some 80's Gibson pups. It's been some micro switches on it and the holes are covered and drop filled. It's seriously faded and checked all over and IMHO it's just scream mojo.
    The price is $4000.
    What do you think, deal or no deal?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. diceman

diceman V.I.P. Member

Hmmm..... I'd lean towards "deal." Any way to talk them down $500-ish?

I'm not an SG guy - but that thing is chocked full of Mojo! My '69 Les Paul is an amazing guitar - I think they were still making some great Axes in early '69.

Let us know if you get it!

3. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

I'm no SG guy either, but the mojo talks to me and I think I'd dominate the stage playing highway to hell:dude:

But it's a little to much money, especially just before Christmas. We'll see.

4. mapleflame

mapleflame Senior Member

Way Too much. At that price should have original Pickups. Also those toggle holes should take another good amount off. A good indicator of price on these models is going on Ebay and see the completed listings. That will give you a great Idea of where the current market is for the ones that are selling.

5. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

OK, thanks mapleflame. I'll try to beat down the price, if not I'll let her go.

6. wes

wes Junior Member

Way too much. I bought one in nearly mint condition on e-bay for $2800.00 WITH no holes & original pup's. LOOK BEFORE YOU LEAP. No way it's worth that kind of money. My buddy has one and it is MINT and had it appraised by a professional guitar appraiser and has it insured for $3100.00.(CANADIAN DOLLARS)!
    Wes

7. slashfan1

slashfan1 Senior Member

if i was u i bought a gibson lp standard Also nice fos highway to hell
    and if u want an sg buy a standard or a MINT CONDISH VINTAGE SG!

8. VoodooHighway

VoodooHighway Senior Member

9. Joeydego

Joeydego your mom is a nice lady V.I.P. Member

great vibe here, but thats an aweful lot of money. For a full G less, you can get a reissue and ding it up yourself.

10. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

Yes, but OLD WOOD at the right price is awesome.

11. El Toro

El Toro V.I.P. Member

Too much! Way too much!

12. averagehacker

averagehacker Banned

It's worth £1500 tops. Work the exchange rate yourself I can't keep up with it any more.

13. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

What????

14. HEY!YOU!

HEY!YOU! Banned

Way too much. Plus I hate the huge heel on the 69.

15. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I couldn't drop more than $2k on it as it sits. If it comes with original case maybe a couple hundred more.

BB

16. Texas07R8

Texas07R8 Senior Member

That heel looks like a 70 model, my 69 has that nice taper on it and also what bothers me about that mint one that sold for $4k on ebay was the bridge saddles, they were metal, 69 SGs had white plastic saddles like the one for sale now has as does mine.

Also, on the guitar that is for sale, the volume and tone caps are not period correct. They used witch hats like the SG that sold on ebay and I think they used them through 70 or 71. Notice the heel on the one for sale, that's what my 69 heel looks like and it looks nothing like the one sold on ebay (the one on ebay looks like a later model an early 70's heel). It's also missing the ring around the selector switch, mine has a black ring with gold lettering. My SG is no doubt an early 69 model (SN 544429) as my pots date to 6850. One other thing that's a little different than my early 69 is the headstock joint has the V taper down to the neck that's quite visible in the pics, mine doesn't have that it blends in very softly to the neck, the one for sale looks to be a very late 69 model that has a harder taper from the headstock to the back of the neck. I know that no every 69 SG is exactly the same but those two particular guitars shown here look radically different.

I don't get why SGs aren't bringing in more money, these are rare guitars (60's models I mean). The Vintage Price Guide book has a price for 2009 of $8K for a 69 SG Std. with one piece neck in excellent condition and $65K in low original condition. For Christ's sake, these are original Gibson 60's VINTAGE stuff and they're not selling for much more than a high end modern Historic, something wrong there. Me thinks they are currently underpriced.

Here's my 69 SG Std.
    [​IMG]

17. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

IMHO it looks really beat compared to mine, which saw a lot of use and abuse 69-72, and compared to others I've seen for that price and with a vintage case.

Attached Files: