'68 SG... please suggest aftermarket case

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Curious George, Oct 13, 2016.

1. Curious George

Curious George Senior Member

Looking for an aftermarket case so that i feel comfortable toting my '68 around without a latch giving way, handle falling off etc.

Looking for someone with actual experience if possible. Not sure who the '68 SG devotees on the forum might be.

PS- Before folks chime in, I tried an SKB and no go... body fits fine, but the neck doesn't rest right...so looking for someone that has a 68 and gone through the same thing.

Thx!

2. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Someone's selling a custom shop sg case on the classified section. The case for my historic 64 standard fits my 64 junior perfectly. I'll be on the lookout for inner myself when I get some extra cash

If you wanna spend a bit more, get a chainsaw case. The ones with black interior are specifically for sgs, iirc.

3. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

^^^I have the CS case for sale. It fits my '64 Jr. great, but I can't say for sure how it would do with the different headstock angle and neck joint of the late '60s. I no longer have my '69/'70 SG to try in it. Sorry. Maybe someone who knows for sure can shed some light.

4. drugprowlingwolf

drugprowlingwolf Senior Member

Nice catch. I didn't know Gibson changed the neck angle that early.

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Yeah, similar experience for me, but it was an early '69 SG Junior in a Tony Iommi sig case..the neck stuck up, and I didn't even have to close the latches to know that it wasn't a proper fit..

Those era SGs must have a deeper neck cradle...otherwise when you clamp it shut, it's flexing the neck..no thanks!!

Maybe a new stock one could be modified and recovered?

6. BWOTW

BWOTW Senior Member

I used to have a '69 Special in a 90's brown Gibson SG case. Don't have it anymore to check it but, as far as I can recall, the fit was great, no pressure on the neck that I can remember.

For what is worth, I have a '80 Greco SG that doesn't fit a 100% on a stock Gibson case (neck rest is not great and the tuners on the right side touch the padding on the sides too much) but it's perfect on a Gator SG case, the usual brown/pink one

7. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Those did fit, but believe they had a pad in the lower bout section, which could also be an option...to bring the body up..

8. Curious George

Thanks Kris!... Yup... exactly my experience. Buddy brought his '61 over with an SKB case... i could fit a finger under the neck, however when i put the '68 sg into the case, prob 3/4" under the neck (didn't measure, but it was definitely a larger gap)... indicating either steeper angle or the case needed to be modified in the heel area.

Has to be someone who has solved for this!!! I pinged Solo Dallas, but his inbox is full, so has to be some other SG experts hiding here somewhere.

9. Curious George

Hmmm... should have went to Arlington and poked around for an answer!

10. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Member

If there is a Guitar Center close to you, order the Gator brown SG case.
    They have a very generous return policy so you can get your money back if the fit isn't perfect.

11. Curious George

Thanks LV... i tried a modern SKB case, and it kind of works if i put rags under the body lol.

I believe that the rounded corner marigold case used for 68 LPs will work. I have seen a few 68/69's in that case, and know that this case was an option for '68LPs given the information on the LSLP website.

12. SGeoff

SGeoff Premium Member

I have a 68 in its original marigold interior case, and I'll tell ya, the fit is not even that great on that! The sg does not travel these days, so I dont care. But if you wanted a protective case to carry it in, you should probably go to Sam Ash or GC and try a bunch until you find one that fits correctly

13. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

CAN'T STRESS THIS ENOUGH!!!

TRY before you BUY!:D

14. Curious George

Given the guitar doesn't leave the house, I actually went back to the loosey goosey 70's cheapo case that came with it... brown tolex and red interior... looks like it was maybe an sg special case or similar. it offers just about nothing as protection, however i also know it isn't stressing the neck.

I did put rags in an skb case to flatten the plane and relieve any stress on the neck, however it freaked me out every time I closed the case... so back to free floating inside a case that would be questionable for a hello kitty guitar lol.

Honestly i think a momo or something like it (zip up case) might be the best bet... something that isn't using the neck as fulcrum between the headstock and body... I'm no physics major, however something tells me that nothing good can come from that design. Just putting it to rest until I can visit a vintage show and nose around a bit to see if anyone has cracked the code on this one.

Oh... and fwiw... love the 68 SG!!! love the look/feel/sound.

15. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Good luck with your search.
    If you go with a marigold case be sure to try it with your SG. I have a marigold case for my '62, and it puts stress on the nut, and the E-A-D tuners. They do look cool though.

P.S. I had a '68 SG Special I bought new in '69,and it rocked. I regret letting that one go.

16. Curious George

61LPSG... Love that custom in your avatar!!!

17. 61LPSG

61LPSG Senior Member

Thanks George,
    I've had it since '72...has a headstock repair but I don't care. It sounds sweet.
    In my previous post I said the case rubbed the E A D tuners, but I meant to say G B E tuners ...brain fart.

Have you found a suitable case yet?:hmm:

18. Curious George

No suitable case yet... just using the old junky case... as long as i am not transporting it, it keeps the dust off.

More i think about it, more i like the idea of a momo case or similar... wont stress the neck, has padding for the headstock... and i am not dragging it around to gigs so chicken dinner that might be a winner.

When you look at these cases, you wonder how any of them survived!!!

19. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

The idea being, ya get the right one Straight off and forget the return policy hopefully.

Lay your guitar out on the table etc. flat, with the headstock hanging over the side
    Just enough to allow the body to lay flat. Put a straight edge on the fretboard, and take a measurement to see how Deep your case has to be in regard to the headstock angle, so you can make an informed decession, based on fact of what you need.

Now mind you, this isn't perfect, as the guitar does not usually lay flat in the case due to neck angle. More like the"neck"itself lays flatter, depending on case design.
    Still, it will give you some idea of the depth needed for proper clearence for your headstock .

Now you have some ammo. Ask questions, or read specs, if you are doing this online. It should be simple to get it right if you know your requirements.

Pretty simple. Should take 30 seconds to take a measurement, to know what your talk'n about.

Good luck