68' Reissue LP Custom Figured Red Tiger Question

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by AlexGibs, Sep 12, 2017.

1. AlexGibs

AlexGibs Junior Member

Hello everyone,

I am interested in a used 68' Reissue that is selling for a great price but the thing might be pretty rare because I am not able to find any informations on it except for one old ebay sell with just one picture.

The guy told me the color is called Red Tiger? It's indeed red and figured on the top, and it has black back and sides. Is that a limited run or something?

The serial number is 090768 and on the certificate it's written "68 Custom F." It's seems pretty legit.

Is anyone aware of something about this model? Should I grab it right away?

Here are some pictures of the LP itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone! :jam:

2. mudface

mudface Senior Member

The "F" is for flame,.................Rare?............not really. There has been a few made every year since '68 reissue has been produced.
    This one looks spectacular, if the price is right, i would grab it.

RAG7890 likes this.
  3. AlexGibs

AlexGibs Junior Member

Yes sure the top is gorgeous! But I was talking about this particular finish, it doesn't seem to be seen that often. Someone has one here?

And what about the serial number that is engraved in the wood instead of stamped like the other CS models?

4. PierM

PierM Premium Member

5. AlexGibs

AlexGibs Junior Member

I have already seen that page. This and the old ebay link are the only sources I've been able to find. But thank you PierM! ;)

Maybe an owner of that particular model could tell me something about it? :)

6. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Not sure what you want to know about it. It's just a 68 base (whatever this means for the custom shop these days) with a tiger top.

mudface likes this.
  7. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

I second and third some of the responses here. It's a beauty for sure, but other than that, not rare and not anything out of the ordinary spec wise. The serial number is as it should be on a Custom like this, and the "F" on the certificate is for "Flame".

You are asking "should I grab it right away?", but you aren't saying how much you can grab it FOR. I'd say $2300-$2600 would be your range. At $2300, I'd probably "grab it right away". At $2600, I'd offer him $2300 and go from there. I certainly wouldn't pay any more than $2600, but YMMV.

RAG7890 and mudface like this.
  8. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

It is a pretty guitar, for sure.

To answer your questions:
    The serial number is stamped because it is a '68 RI, the others with the stamped serial number are not '68 RI's and just CS models.
    The color is a newer color and kind of rare-ish at this point, but in time we will see more of it.
    Just buy it already! :dude:

9. AlexGibs

AlexGibs Junior Member

The guy wants 2000€ for it which is a little bit less than 2400$. In Europe, Gibson prices are becoming crazy... and it's pretty rare to see one Custom Shop LP going for that price.

About the neck on that one, it's written 50 style rounded neck. Someone knows how big it is? I have a 2009 R8 with the big chunky neckon it and wanted to know how necks are on '68 Reissues.

Thanks! :)

10. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Cool finish but that hardware killed it for me after seeing the pic for five seconds. Sorry, but buying it just because it's rare is rather silly. Would you buy a Ferrari only because it's pink when most others are red? Rare doesn't always translate to desirable. Having said that, that is a very good price for a flame top 68RI. I wouldn't sell my black one for that much.

RAG7890 likes this.
  11. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

The neck on the 68 will be very similar to the r8 maybe just a bit fuller in the hands. So if you like the fatter 50's neck you'll get along fine with the 68 I'd bet

freebyrd 69 likes this.
  12. AlexGibs

AlexGibs Junior Member

To tell you the truth, the custom I want for a very long time is the classic one in Alpine White.
    So, I am not interested in buying the '68 because it's rare, but because it's a custom shop guitar, so no swiss cheese, long neck tenon and an overall better built quality. These past years, I have seen things on "basic Custom" that are incredible to see on a 3000€ guitar... Enough of that, that is not the subject here. :hmm:

Didn't know they were bigger necks than R8/R7. Those are already so big... :laugh2:

13. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

I had a 68RI and it had a chunky neck similar to the newer R8's. My suggestion would be to get the weight before buying. Mine was a boat anchor at 10.5 pounds. It was advertised at 9.5 pounds but I think the UPS man force feeds Les Paul's because I've never received one yet that didn't gain weight during shipping.

BBD and mudface like this.
  14. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Nice flame figure but horrible red colour and gold hardware - no.

15. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

OP, I don't know where some of these responses are coming from. LOL. If YOU like the guitar, that seems like a very fair price. I am assuming you have to purchase it without being able to handle it first? If that's the case, and you are picky about necks, be careful. If it doesn't matter much, buy it, if YOU like it. Customs are sometimes on the heavy side, but, who cares. Never mattered to me.

Again, necks can't be gauged too well over the internet. You have to have them in hand.

FennRx likes this.
  16. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

Buy it. If you love it, great! If not, flip it for profit and buy your alpine white.

I'm not seeing a downside here.

freebyrd 69 and RAG7890 like this.
  17. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Member

Never heard of or seen a "red tiger" finish color from Gibson.

Looks like a flame top 1968RI from 2009... in trans red finish. These I have seen before. $3000USD tops.

18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Seen this finish many times over the years, both Flame & Quilt.

IMHO far from rare.

Also harder to sell because most do not want a Red Lester. They want GT's, Bursts & Black Customs.

The price is lower for a reason.

:cheers2:

mudface likes this.
  19. AlexGibs

AlexGibs Junior Member

Thank you all for your answers. Decided to not take it, too heavy in weight for my little back.

The search for the custom goes on!

20. Redfish

Redfish Senior Member

I love that color. Mine was neon clownburst. What does it weigh?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017