68 Les Paul Custom Antique Pelham Blue

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by hector, Aug 2, 2012.

1. hector

hector Senior Member

In 2007, Gibson made a '68 reissue Les Paul Custom in Antique Pelham Blue, which actually looks more green than blue. Also, the body is chambered. This is my dream guitar. A green, chambered, custom. I'd give up half my guitar collection to own this beauty. It's the only guitar that makes me drool. Does anybody know where I might find one of these slices of heaven? Please pm me, if you have any info.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Thunder Dump

Thunder Dump Silver Supporter

3. soundxplorer

soundxplorer Senior Member

4. hector

hector Senior Member

They are close, but no dice. I don't think the current one that you mentioned is chambered. Also, the Pelham Blue appears matte or faded, and looks "more blue" (see pics above). My understanding is that the gloss lacquer finish over the Pelham blue paint on the 2007 is what makes it "green". Finally '68 vs '57, so I'd imagine the neck profile is different. I really like the 60's slim necks.

Anyhow, I know the 2007 is out there. I just need to be patient, and wait for someone to be ready to give it up.

5. Thunder Dump

FYI, the '68 reissues (with the exception of the Guitar Center versions) have some of the fattest necks of any Les Pauls out there.

6. hector

hector Senior Member

Really? I just assumed that '68 Reissue meant a 60's neck.

7. Thunder Dump

Nope. The 60s 'SlimTaper' or skinny necks were really on the R0s only. Obviously there are USA models that have had them over the years, but for Historics the R0 is really the only one. I'm a slim neck player myself and *almost* pulled the trigger on a '68 Tri-Burst last year until I actually played it. Neck was a telephone pole, so I passed. After doing more research I found out that the '68s seem to have the biggest necks period (even bigger than the R8s). Obviously each one is unique but that's the general rule. GC had a run of '68s done in tri-burst and natural that had SlimTaper necks, but to my knowledge they were the only ones.

8. hector

hector Senior Member

Good to know. My dream guitar is becoming a nightmare.

9. roodyrocker

roodyrocker Senior Member

It's true, other than the GC ones the 68 RI's have big necks. They happen to be my favorites btw. On the 57 vs 68 with regards to color, you will notice a difference because the 57's have no maple top. The mahogany sort of shows through. I have a 57 (B7) in Antique Pelham Blue as well as a 68 RI in Pelham Blue. The ones that look more green like you're after are Aged Pelham Blue. A couple months back there were two of those 2007 models on EBay. One was for sale here as well.
    All of them are gorgeous btw. You just have to decide if you can play the big necks on 68 a d 57 RI's.

Rudy

10. Sick String

Sick String Junior Member

Hector, I have the exact guitar your looking for. I've thought about selling it because i haven't played it much since my daughter was born 2 yrs. ago. It's in excellent condition, only a few minor scratches on the pick guard. Let's see if I remember how to post pics and you can message me if interested.

Gtarzan81 and FredRbi like this.
  11. Holy Schnikes

Holy Schnikes Member

I also have the 2007 68RI in Antique Pelham and I LOVE THAT GUITAR! Picked mine up from the GC Clearance Center in Kansas City for a great price. That newer '57 model is more of a Aged Pelham stain, you can clearly see the wood grain underneath the finish. The '07 is straight Pelham, metallic sparkle and all, then covered with a yellowed lacquer topcoat to give an aged look. It doesn't truly resemble a genuine vintage Pelham finish tho. Whereas those look more Iverness Green to me, the Antique Pelham is more metallic olive in nature. Looks bada$$!

The neck is definitely thick but not uncomfortable imo, feels very nice to me, similar to the Fat Neck ES 339. The body is chambered as opposed to "weight relieved/swiss cheese'd" and the neck joint uses the preferred long tenon. Came loaded with '57 Classics, since swapped 'em with a set of BKP Abraxas HBs plus push/push coil tap options. I've also changed the bridge and tailpiece and swapped some customized Keystone tuner buttons in place of the stock Kidney Beans.

Amazing guitar, plays incredibly well, basically sets itself up and has ridiculous stability. Easily the best LP I've owned. There weren't too many made honestly and I saw 'em pop up used on occasion for the first few year after production but I NEVER see 'em now days. I'd jump if you're after one and it happens to pop up like that post above mine. ^

Here's mine btw, most recent pic I have of it....

[​IMG]

guitarjoem, AlonsoMosley, bum and 2 others like this.
  12. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

If Hector isn't into the fat neck... feel free to contact me!

13. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

14. FredRbi

FredRbi Junior Member

Hi,
    How did it end? Did Hector got his 68 RI? I am in the same Process of finding one...

15. fretout

fretout Senior Member

Wow, this is an old thread! I own a '68RI in Pelham Blue that is NOT chambered (all solid), and is NOT aged, so the color isn't aged...yet. I've never seen another guitar like it, and I've never ran across anyone else that has one similar, but my '68RI is from 2005.

I called Gibson and they were of little help identifying this guitar.

If anyone has a '68RI in Pelham Blue that is unaged, post them up!

16. fretout

fretout Senior Member

17. FredRbi

FredRbi Junior Member

You have pictures?

18. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

Yeah it's pretty much the same neck as a R7 which is about as fat as they come. Some say the 68ri has a neck profile all its own but I own both and the necks feel the same to me

19. fretout

fretout Senior Member

Sure do! But unfortunately, all my good pics are in my photobucket account, so all I have are a bunch of random pics, which don't represent the color as accurately, due to the incandescent bulbs and no flash...

IMG_8643.PNG IMG_8644.JPG IMG_8646.JPG IMG_8647.JPG

Gtarzan81, FredRbi and endial like this.
  20. FredRbi

FredRbi Junior Member

WoW! Very nice!
    Would you consider selling it?