68 Fender Princeton, Deluxe, Twin- reissue

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by hogrydr, Aug 27, 2013.

1. hogrydr

hogrydr Member

2. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member

3 people like this.
  3. Frogfur

Frogfur Senior Member

Geez..if they discontinued their reissue line of amps They'd not only lose big bucks that we pay them, but many would not be able to enjoy what we enjoyed in the past. The beautiful sound of a good Fender amp. The originals are some of the best ever made.
    Just my opinion.

4. Soul Tramp

Soul Tramp Speaker Snob V.I.P. Member

Frog, please re-read my post with your glasses on! :laugh2: :laugh2:

3 people like this.
  5. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

6. Marshall & Moonshine

Actually, Fender is doing pretty well with their product decisions, I think. The BJr's are pretty popular as low-wattage amps/pedal platform, the HR's are great amps for upstarts in bands, since they're cheap, sound good enough and are loud enough for anything , and the Mustangs are (I imagine) a God-send to college kids, as well as young parents (though I don't have one....). I know squat about the Supersonic stuff or the quirky pawn shop stuff, but even they have their fans. Honestly, I'm pretty pleasantly surprised that they're calling another round of retired soldiers back to duty. The 65's are wildly succesful. I actually thought/hoped the tweeds would be next, but with EC's lineup out right now, they probably have to wait a bit.

1 person likes this.
  7. mmd

mmd Senior Member

man, I wish fender would reissue a bandmaster or bassman head!!! either '65 or '68. some of us don't use combos!!!!

2 people like this.
  8. hogrydr

hogrydr Member

Fender, like so many other companies are watching forums like this and learning what the public is wanting, Ford; retro Mustang, Chevrolet; retro Camaro, ets, hell Harley Davidson as has gone the the biker rallies and watched what the next gereration is doing and wanting. stripped down bobbers.
    There will never be a substution for my original 69Super Rb, 70Twin, 74 Pro rvb, its their way of tapping in to the younger generation that wants what Grand pa or dad had with out dropping 3k for a real 68 Deluxe.
    Hell, these may be some killer amps, leave the real goodies at home.

3 people like this.
  9. Marshall & Moonshine

For so many styles, the old stuff just works better. The cool factor could be part of it, but anyone who's been in a room with any of these old amps knows what a treat it is on the ears.
    As for cars, I think it's funny how everyone tells us that we have to drive more efficient vehicles, but in every tv commercial (made by people whose job it is to know with certainty what consumers want/love), classic pony cars are everywhere, even in drug ads.
    That's what we want. We want old stuff, because they ARE the good old days. If these amps deliver, they'll be as popular (with the same share of nay-sayers and tweakers) as the '65 lineup, I would think, especially since the majority of guitar players wouldn't even think to open up their amp, unless they join a forum somewhere. Hopefully nobody told them about PCB vs PTP, so they get some joy from their new amp. :D
    I'm tempted to preemptively start the first thread:
    "What's the best replacement speaker for my '68 DRRI???"
    :laugh2:

10. mmd

mmd Senior Member

jbl

11. David Corrales

David Corrales Senior Member

Damn... I'm lusting for a DRRI and now this comes up!

12. BoxyBrown22

BoxyBrown22 Senior Member

That Deluxe interests me, according to the seller's description it says:
    " [both] channels boast reverb and tremolo" as well as " the “custom” channel has a modified Bassman tone stack that gives modern players greater tonal flexibility with pedals" and the speaker is a "Celestion G12V-70"

So it isn't a standard reissue, but a new take using the silverface cosmetics and platform. Very interesting, I'd love to try one, better yet I'd love to own one! Fender keeps hitting things RIGHT OUT OF THE PARK on their products, and this sounds like another home run in my book.

1 person likes this.
  13. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

I think it's a great thing... I love my '68 Super Reverb and have been wanting either a DRRI or PRRI and I'd totally go for one of these IF they were handwired.

14. Duane24

Duane24 Senior Member

So they're 65 ri's with cosmetic changes....ground breaking fender...bravo

15. David Corrales

David Corrales Senior Member

They have some circuit and speaker mods, not only the faceplate.

16. Duane24

Duane24 Senior Member

Oh, well then I retract my previous sarcastic statement, my bad ya'll

17. dotnetguy

dotnetguy Member

1 person likes this.
  18. mcphaul

mcphaul Senior Member

19. moonweasel

moonweasel Senior Member

So interesting.... you guys are refreshing.

On the other forum, I was more or less the only person sticking up for the POTENTIAL these new amps have, as no one has played them yet. So, who knows? They might be great.

The VAST majority assumed they would be crap or looked like crap as a knee jerk reaction. (as they are not Blackface).

I OWN a '66 Vibrolux Reverb and I STILL think these could be very cool. Astonishing that people can be negative about something that they haven't tried before based on preconceived notions.... Oh wait, that's humanity in a nutshell. :) :) :)

20. moonweasel

moonweasel Senior Member

Ok, except you hahahah, just yanking your chain :)

That said, respectfully, I do not understand your point of view. One can't HEAR the circuit method. I could understand if you meant that the PCB Fender stuff doesn't use as good quality caps etc, that's feasible. But, the actual method itself is transparent. I have heard some say HW's more "pure" (whatever that means) of a circuit than PCB, which is totally untrue. The computer's we are all using do millions of calculations a second and "talk" to it's peripherals through a PCB with no problems.

Yes, there is ease of maintenance with the old models, but frankly, I've gigged both styles of amps and had small, but constant things that needed to be done on my HW amps. Never a thing with HARD gigged solid state stuff.