'66 Epiphone Olympic

Discussion in 'Other Gibsons' started by bblooz, Mar 6, 2018.

1. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

I'm posting here because this is basically a K'zoo Melody Maker with a different name. I finally pulled the pickguard and confirmed the date as '66 (30th week on the pots). Thinking seriously about getting a P-90 to replace that thin sounding MM PU. What really surprised me was the huge tenon! Look at this sucker:
    upload_2018-3-5_22-4-40.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-5_22-5-4.jpeg

2. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

Bobby Mahogany likes this.
  3. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Silver Supporter

Contact lollar before you buy one. It says exclusively on their site only fits vintage melody makers.

4. chasenblues

Has this changed?

mkj.JPG

5. deadlyweasel

Apparently when I read it a couple weeks ago i was just to excited to actually read it all and just bought it for my 60 MM lol thanks for clarifying brother!

6. chasenblues

It does look like the pickguard/s Lollar shows wouldn't match the Olympic's though.

7. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

bblooz likes this.
  8. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

I think the Lolar PU will work. I'll likely have to make my own pick guard though. I have the original to use as a template, so I just have to decide what color to go with........

kasu likes this.
  9. deadlyweasel

Contact Dan at mojoaxe @Danelectro he made my guard, and all the plastics on your 59 special.

10. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

Thanks man, I am diggin' it!
    Yeah, I checked out the SD site as well. Their MM "P-90" single coil probably sounds a bit fatter than a typical PU, but the wide dispersion of the windings on a true P-90 give it a unique response and "flavor" that just can't be duplicated any other way. I have a set of Lollar P-90s new in the box and they drop right in the existing route, but don't have the mounting tabs he adds to the base plate on the MM model he makes, so the special Lollar ones look like the ticket.

BTW, since I had her apart, I did a little general cleanup, oiled the fret board, removed the tremolo, and did a wrap-over with a new set of 10-46 strings. I believe I read on this forum about using the old string-end ferrules to keep your strings from dropping too deep into the tail piece. This also has the added benefit of keeping that little tail of the wrapped string end from coming around the tail piece and chewing up the end of your hand when playing - nice! It's a little lighter and slightly more resonant now.
    upload_2018-3-7_12-46-23.jpeg
    upload_2018-3-7_12-46-39.jpeg

endial, LSAR and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  11. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Crazy hot!
    :thumb:

12. Sharky

Sharky Senior Member

those are nice little guitars, ones I wasn't even aware off. How do they play and sound? I checked G-base on them after I saw your posting and there are only a handfull, but also with two pickups. Very nice

13. bblooz

bblooz Senior Member

Two pickup models are cool, but I don't know if you can put the real P-90s in them if you want to upgrade (route for neck PU is a little small). I've see some butchery done to these in the past, and the large pick guard hides a lot of shenanigans, so caveat emptor!

Sharky likes this.
  14. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Pickups alone will not change the fundamental nature of the guitar -- thin bodied, with perhaps the world's most minimal neck/body joint ever -- but since the original PUs are so undistinguished, you have a lot of room to reshape the sound. How much mid and bottom you get out of a guitar design that is inherently trebly will depend a lot on what you choose. I would trust both Jason Lollar and the Duncan Custom Shop to deliver good advice and product, and I would enjoy having a purpose-wound PU, personally, assuming I could spend the $$$. Good luck.

Zoobiedood likes this.