65 Strat L-Series - Serial Number?

Discussion in 'Fender' started by triple6, Apr 27, 2017.

1. triple6

triple6 Senior Member

Hi All,

Its time to not only collect nice Les Pauls and Explorers, but also I would like to own a nice 60s Strat. I am currently interested in a pre-CBS Strat with an L-Series Number (L547...). The neck is dated September 1965 and Pots from 16th week 1965. However I'm not sure if the serial is matching this data - I checked out several sources in the web that said L54 is 1964 and only L55.. is 1965. As all the electronics and neck seems to be of (later 1965) I think it should definitely have a L55 serial.

What do you guys think? Does it make sense, or could it be that the guitar has been re-assembled with neck/electronics of a later guitar?

Thanks a lot!

Crotch likes this.
  2. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

Hi there. I own a 1970 Strat that is all matching. Not Pre CBS but a great guitar (4 bolt).

One thing I have learned from/about Fender in my research is that, especially in the CBS days things were a mess with dates. Pot codes may have been from the prior year just cause they had them around. Again, my example is not pre CBS. To me it seems totally probably that the electronic dates may from the year prior. Is the price telling you its original or no? Usually that is a dead giveaway. If it is $5K less than all the others then stay away from a "collector mentality".

Hard to know what info is good info but I think this is one of the more complete Fender sites.

http://www.guitarhq.com/fender.html

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Great site, if not seriously biased. You'd think EVERY Fender made after 1964 was the worst piece of shit ever made.

He is equally harsh against the Norlin era as well.

Just keep that in mind while sifting for the facts...someone who is just learning could read this and base an opinion off of someone's negative comments or personal preferences (which are NOT facts.)

What gets me, is this is how collectors create a market..you know, gotta have some really BAD stuff to upsell the "good" stuff. 54-64 wasn't without it's faults either...

Crotch likes this.
  4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

In the first parahraph alone..it's almost sickening:

"For most collectors, pre-CBS (pre-1966) Fender vintage guitars and amps are the desirable ones. Although CBS purchased Fender (officially) on January 3rd 1965, it took some time till the guitars changed (though by mid 1964, six months before CBS bought Fender, things were already "on the way down"). By the end of 1965, the general look and feel of the Fender guitars had changed significantly. All collectors feel the quality of their instruments and amps suffered as CBS employed more "mass production" manufacturing processes to the Fender guitars. The "large peghead" (starting in late 1965) as used on the Fender Stratocaster was one example of the (bad) changes to come. The "custom contoured" bodies Fender was famous for no longer were as sculped and sleek. Newer (and less attractive) plastics were used for the pickguards. Pearl fingerboard inlays replaced the original "clay" dots. Indian rosewood replaced the beautifully figured Brazilian rosewood on the fingerboards. And by 1968, polyurathane replaced the original nitrocellulose lacquer that was used from Fender's conception. By early 1971 the party was truely over. Fender now employed the infamous "3 bolt neck" and one piece die cast bridge on the Strat, ruining it's tone and feel. Many other models suffered the same miserable fate of being over mass-produced and cheapened by corporate zealots."

Crotch likes this.
  5. Crotch

Crotch Members Only Premium Member

^^^^^Absolutely agree. I really don't ready any of the talking points on that site, just the number and logos part is all I have ever paid attention to.

The 1970's get a bad rap. I could give a shit. Although I have played a lot of mid to late 70's models that were bombs. More bad then good in what I have played. But "Pre-CBS" is a collectors mindset and they are factually more desirable. Not my issue.

I love my 1970. I always wanted a '69. But since it was associated with Hendrix in some way it was always so much more expensive, or carried more of a premium we'll say. So I found a nice 1970, 4 bolt, semi custom color for the time, in great shape. Got the big head stock and maple board I wanted and am more than happy. Would I like to have a Pre CBS someday? Sure. But like all guitars, or years for guitars, there's peaches and shit in every year.

[​IMG]

DarrellV, kevinpaul and Kris Ford like this.
  6. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Well put! I love yours too!
    That's HIS problem, not mine :D

Crotch likes this.
  7. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Agreed!

One article I read on 70's Fenders put it this way;

"There were many good guitars produced by Fender during the 70's.

It just seemed that the good ones were produced as the exception, rather than the norm."

Sounds about the same as ever, really.

How many discussions have we seen about tone turds and magical guitars within ANY time period?

Almost like it's a holy quest to narrow down the specific time these 'turds' were produced so we can weed them out from the gems!

Ain't gonna happen! That's being waay to generalistic, IMHO.

But that doesn't stop some people from trying. Especially if there is money to be made.....

My 2 cents

Crotch likes this.