'65 SG Spl. price check need advice

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Jim Klein, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Jim Klein

Jim Klein Senior Member

what are these going for? i found a super clean one for sale for 3600.00 . no idea if that is a good buy . cherry red with the vibrato. no breaks/cracks.. one owner! been in the closet since '65! i'm seeing prices that go from 2200.00 for a player grade to 5k [gary's guitars] for a real clean one. but what do they really sell for? ..fun to find one. thanks for any info. jk

2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

That is a decent price IMO, especially if that clean.

3. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

D'OH!

Read that wrong..3600 is steep, 2200 is the number I had when I replied. :D
    Actually, if truly a closet queen like that, 2750 wouldn't be out of line, and someone would pay it.

Hell, someone would probably pay the 3600 outright.

5. Jim Klein

Jim Klein Senior Member

thanks guys, I thought it was kind of high,but i see the prices are all over the place. gary's has one for over 4k! [he always seems higher priced than most dealers,wishing it was 2006 I guess].. its always exciting to discover buried treasures. i agree that it should be under 3k. I think i'll go play hardball with them and see what happens.. must be an early '65 as it still has a wide nut. got me thinking about my sacrificial gear/trades..see how close i can get if they will come down to a reasonable number.. likely not as i think they likey over paid for it. we'll see , sometimes the magic works, sometimes not. thanks again! forum bros rule!! jk

6. charlie chitlins

And a '65 still has the bridge compensated for a wound G.
    I'm not a stickler for perfect intonation, but I had to replace the bridge on my FBIII.
    The G was WAY out there!

7. Jim Klein

Jim Klein Senior Member

well sometimes the magic doesn't work... offered them 2800.00 for it and they said they would be losing money! wow did they over pay or what. seems guitar center thinks its 2006 too. oh well, can't have them all. thanks for the help guys. jk

8. charlie chitlins

That was a fair offer for sure.

9. Jim Klein

Jim Klein Senior Member

hey guys I'm being told that because this one has the wide nut it brings a higher price.. any wisdom out there? man i like this guitar ...I'd like to have it but i sure don't need to be upside down into another vintage guitar. been over thinking this to the point of having the brain pain!!help! jk

10. bossaddict

bossaddict Premium Member

In general, '65s with the 1 11/16" nut tend to be more sought after than the ones with 1 9/16" nuts. All nickel hardware also tends to be a slightly more desirable attribute as compared to all chrome or a combination.

I don't really have a good feel for whether or not your specific pricing is good for the more desirable specs, though.

11. charlie chitlins

It depends if the wide nut makes it more desireable to you. If not, go elsewhere and pay a grand less. There's been a sweet 67 on ebay for several months at 2750. I'm surprised it's still there.

12. Jim Klein

Jim Klein Senior Member

thanks guys, I am a fan of the wide nut,just not sure if its worth the money they are asking . might go back and play it some more today..really put it thru its paces..guitars ..man they make me crazy. jk

13. SingeMonkey

SingeMonkey Senior Member

Amazing that you can get a '65 SG Special in good nick for less than some custom shop guitars. I'd buy one in a heartbeat over an historic.

14. charlie chitlins

Shhhhhhhh..... ;)