62 sg - Are those real PAFs?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Seattley, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Seattley

Seattley Junior Member

hi,
    Hopefully someone could help me here:
    I have an offer on this nice 62 sg, but I cant tell if the PAFs are original.
    Thanks!

D6D185AA-1DA0-4417-BC0C-C9CE3C8E7B56.png F0B86F2C-A94A-41F3-9C61-A79C5DB1B39E.png E7951030-6C64-44AD-802E-E52C6E493AE1.png

2. tigger

tigger Senior Member

They look good from those pics but it would be great to have better pictures, also from the top.

3. Jumping@shadows

Jumping@shadows V.I.P. Member

I get a funky vibe off these- the pickups have definitely been out as there’s missing black insulation tube on the leads as they enter the cavity, and those solder joints have been redone..

4. Seattley

Seattley Junior Member

The seller insists that they 100% original and that the joints have never been done
    Ill try to get another pics

5. Seattley

Seattley Junior Member

4A5AB50A-5A92-4F03-A5EC-4F0FB80C4955.jpeg Another pic of the cavity-
    Looks 100% untouched.
    It seems that the black tubes, that are missing are not really missing, as every other 62 sg cavity photos that I found online are looking the same with no black tubes.

6. Danelectro

Danelectro V.I.P. Member

Here’s my ‘62

[​IMG]

7. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

The Yellow wires in the first pic look all melted and plasticy and way different than those in the second picture. I think somebody is trying to pull a fast one.

8. tigger

tigger Senior Member

No, look at any particular feature and the second image has it too. It's simply been taken with more light in the first photo blowing out the yellow wires.

9. capnjim

capnjim Senior Member

I know, they look "melted" in a few spots. Its not something I would buy without seeing it in person, thats for sure.

10. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Pictures are never decisive. The wires are clearly not the same color in the pix, and we blame the pix. OK... but if you take that approach, rationalizing away observed differences, then there will never be a confident assessment based on pictures. Ditto for the pickups. Everything looks intact, in the pictures, but even I could do a resolder job that photographed OK. Someone expert needs to see it in the flesh. And finally, unless the current owner bought it new, his statement that it has never been touched is simply a leap of faith, not a finding of fact. I'll bet it's all OK, but that's just it... it's a bet, not a firm determination. Good luck.

11. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

If this is a real 1962 SG Standard, they aren't exactly giving those away. They are pretty pricey! I wouldn't pay that kind of money without having an expert look at it. Depending on when in 1962 it was built, it is my understanding that the Pups -- even if original -- might not be PAFs. That is, if it were built in late 1962. Other questions include whether there has been a repaired neck break (and how well done the repair was) as these guitars are notorious for neck breaks. Also there is the question of originality of tuners, as the plastic keys on most guitars of this year and model have had the keys rot and the tuners replaced, so you want the tuners to be of the original design. And does this guitar have the original trem? Early 62s would have the side pull while later models could have a Maestro. Way too many questions to buy in reliance on advice here from just a few pics.