'61 LP (SG) Jr inbound; ETA 13:00 HRS, 3|11|16

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Compulsor, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Compulsor

Compulsor Senior Member

Made a run to Chicago Music Exchange last Sunday.

Scored some sweetness: a completely original '66 Jazzmaster, and a SF Princeton (spkr).

Those took awhile, and they were closed/ closing, so only managed a brief glimpse into Gibson Heaven; but long enough for this "Lil' Devil" to set the hook.

Because while I didn't throw it on the pile that day, I call at open the next to inquire.

The little truck should be bringing 'er home to papa by week's end: can't wait.

Pics below, and a couple lines of praise from the staff specifically about this guy; a bit uncommon for them- usually a 'just the facts ma'am' approach:

"With its typically wider nut width on its tapered neck, it plays smoothly, with a bit more heft behind it than most later SG Juniors. The pickup on this one is exceptional as well. This is one that stands out from most of our Juniors."

Attached Files:

7 people like this.
  2. El Kabong

El Kabong Senior Member

Looking forward to the NGD... :cheers:

3. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Oh yeah, you're gonna have fun with that one!:naughty:
    Sounds AMAZING thru a boosted Marshall!

4. Compulsor

Compulsor Senior Member

Ok, so I've spent some time with this little beastie, and it's a bit of a love hate.

1st, the love: c'mon- it's the tone! Cranked Marshall as mentioned above: check. But cranked anything, esp any of my little valve amps: BF Champ, SF Princeton, Silvertone 1472, you get it.
    It just wails, and sweet sweet controllable feedback and overtones as long as you feel like holding it.

2nd, the hate(strong dislike maybe)-
    a) tuning nightmare. Like not able to make it through one song kinda thing. I think it's the janky little butterbean tuners more so than the bridge, maybe both, who knows.

b) The finish on the neck. The lacquer is checked and distressed in a cool way all over, but the back of the neck is kind of bubbly, and grungy feeling- and that's where I'm stuck.
    I'd like to lightly sand it down, but seeing as how it's pretty much all original, I can't bring myself to put sandpaper to wood on it, but it really does impact playing, so I guess I need to decide if it's a lifetimer, or if I'm going to move it on.
    Stinks because it sounds so great.

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Been there man, know exactly what you mean.

6. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

Sorry about the neck. That's one of the first parts of a guitar that I check. See if Virtuoso polish will help. Should this not work, sell the guitar or try to return it to CME.

7. AlvisX

AlvisX Senior Member

98% of the time it's usually not the tuners
    Anytime you get involved with wraparound guitars ,especially the old ones, you gotta consider upgrading the bridge to something that works......remember, they were made with a wound G in mind

The Mojoaxe 50's bridge really does the trick while preserving the aesthetic vibe of the original part......and Im not one to fall for all the BS guitar products they come up with these days ...

Those 60's Juniors tend to have a hotter p-90 than the 50's . My '63 actually smokes my '56 in that regard

1 person likes this.