'60 & earlier 3/4 Junior Conversion

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by Doxastic, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Doxastic

Doxastic Senior Member

Anyone know of somebody who does a conversion on Juniors? I want to get a 3/4 Junior and do a conversion but I don't know of anyone who does this.

1 person likes this.
  2. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I'm very curious as to what kind of conversion you have in mind...care to enlighten us?

Frank

3. jkes01

jkes01 Senior Member

3/4 to full scale?

4. pinefd

I wouldn't think so. 3/4 Juniors aren't too common; whereas, full scale Juniors are. I'm thinking he's probably looking for someone to install one or two humbuckers in place of the P-90, but I could be wrong.

Frank

5. Doxastic

Doxastic Senior Member

Yup! Just like: JamCity Guitars - Gallery

This guy looks like he does an amazing job, so good he's backed up for years. So I was hoping there might be someone else out there experienced in turning Juniors into Bursts.

Then I'd have myself a 3/4 burst!

The other option I'm considering is taking a 3/4 Jr and putting its neck on a new Les Paul. That way I'd have the 3/4 neck on a burst. But I'm not sure the tenon will work. My guess is they are very different.

6. pinefd

So, it seems like you have your heart set on a 3/4 size 'burst. Would you consider a non-Gibson guitar? Edwards used to make a 3/4 size LP style guitar that was actually quite decent. It's hard to find any of those Edwards around anymore, but now ESP is making one that appears to be identical to the old Edwards guitars. If interested, go to Ebay and do a search on: esp grass roots mini

Best of luck!

Frank

7. Doxastic

Doxastic Senior Member

Thanks! But the 20.5" scale is a little small. The 3/4 Jr has a 22 3/4, which is perfect.

I'm also consider having something custom made. Maybe I can get a good Luthier to just build me what I want.

8. steadyriot

steadyriot Senior Member

Go the custom route, ruining a good old guitar to get basicly a new guitar is pointless.

9. Doxastic

Doxastic Senior Member

10. pinefd

I think it's going to be very difficult for you to find a cheap one in bad shape, and it's going to be difficult to find someone who will do the kind of conversion you seek for reasonable $. I agree with steadyriot that having one custom built may be the way to go...but even that likely won't be cheap.

Frank

11. Doxastic

Doxastic Senior Member

Yeah. It won't be cheap. But I want a good guitar.

I figure, why spend 5k on a Les Paul that doesn't quite fit me right; when I could spend 8-9k on a 50s LP that fits me perfectly?

But I might go the custom route.

Right now I'm sort of leaning toward getting a '59 or '60 3/4 and putting the neck on new RI, then parting out the guitar. That way somebody can put a neck they like on that body and play the guitar. Most people keep these around as a novelty, but don't actually play them. This way at least the guitar gets played (and really, two people get use out of it).

But idk.... Jam City has a really long waiting list. So there's PLENTY of time to keep my eye out for a beat up '56 or '57.