5K Tele neck pickup....

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by 5F6-A, Sep 24, 2017.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I have found an advert for a Chinese made alnico 5 tele neck pickup (north polarity) wound to only 5k. Would it be safe to assume that it wound with AWG 42 wire? Such low DCR reading suggests so...

BTW I find many examples of current production of Chinese pickups to be more than adequate. Honestly, some of them are not at all worse than the stuff coming out of the Duncan, Fender or Gibson factories.

2. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Probably 7000-something turns of some wire in the range of AWG 42 but maybe not. Could also be something like 5000 turns of some variety of AWG 43. Just another example of how DCR alone doesn't say much about a pickup.

5F6-A likes this.
  3. Antigua

Antigua Senior Member

Can you link to the pickup? I've seen a lot of underwound pickups from China, especially from a brand called KAISH. Some feature AlNiCo pole pieces, but they're often underwound by domestic standards, usually have plastic bobins, brass covers, and non standard dimenstions.

If you want a good deal and as assurance of high quality, check out BYO http://www.byoguitar.com/Guitar_Kits/Electronics--Pickups-and-Pedals/BYOGuitar-Pickups.aspx

garybaldy likes this.
  4. grayd8

grayd8 Senior Member

Probably a regular wind with their aluminum/cooper alloy.

5. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Don't forget about the lead. Seems like it's the secret sauce in everything they make. :eek2:

grayd8 likes this.