5E3 Deluxe Build...Initiated

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by Pappy58, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Ok, here are my measurements...not awful. Thoughts?

Quick Update: Upon some research of tech forums, it seems the 110vac readings are well within spec. 115 on the Edge, 120 and 125 too hot. However it seems that is not uncommon in 5E3 world and doesn't appear to be causing any issues. Most seem to think that most 6V6GT's are conservative in their spec and up to the task. But I got to say at 125vac it's pushing 14.5watts per tube. :hmm: . But it sounds pretty good so I'm going to run it like this for a while. I currently have new TungSol Russian tubes. I have some NOS 6v6 and 5y3 I'll roll in at some point and see what changes they may bring! :cheers:

Screen Shot 2018-03-08 at 5.44.18 PM.png

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  2. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

The old RCA 6V6's took lots more abuse than "most" today. Chinese 6V6s take very little abuse in fact. Running 400v plate is not bad actually. The Princeton Reverb drove them harder, with 415v plate voltage.

Look for the cherry red plates in a dark room. You "might" consider a larger value cathode resistor, but.... as we know, its damned hard to get adequate duty cycle at higher volume, unless you cook things a bit at lower volume and idle, when going for push pull and cathode bias.

Another concern is the OT. Just food for thought.

Then again, what's a few milliamps among friends?

Pappy58 likes this.
  3. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Everything seems to be fine...no red plates..no excessive heat... I changed to the new P12R Reissue and it raised the volume....and it's loud! :eek2: So the math says I'm @~14watts per tube....and it's loud. :naughty: Switching in the NFB cuts the gain down about 1/3 and cleans it up so it seems like a useable mod. I'm going to try a 12AY7 in v1 next. :beer:

ps: I sent mojo the question about the PT spec and resulting measurements. We will if and how they reply. :hmm:

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    bulletproof likes this.
  4. Leña_Costoso

Fixed bias Deluxe Reverb, running 35ma at idle does about the same dissipation (at idle)

I personally wouldn't look back. Interesting to hear your tone report, regarding running the amp from 110v to 125v

Pappy58 likes this.
  5. Leña_Costoso

Interesting too is TAD shows 387v on the B+, with 230v in (which would be 115v in assuming a decent dual primary transformer).

I think you're right on target

Pappy58 likes this.
  6. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Senior Member

I prefer the 12ay7 but that was with the Jensen MOD speaker and things got way too loose with the MOD and the 12ax7, I couldn’t turn it up past 2 without tons of flubiness. I haven’t tried a 12ax7 since I put in the Weber 12a125 speaker.

Pappy58 likes this.
  7. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Taking it to rehearsal tonight with a 12AY7 in pocket. Time for the first real workout! :jam:

bulletproof, Cjsinla and Sournote like this.
  8. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

So going from 110-125vac produces slightly more gain as the knob is turned, but I can't recognize any real difference in tone. As we have discussed in the past the speaker change had more effect on that than the input voltage. :thumbs:

Mojo has yet to reply to my question. :squint:

9. Leña_Costoso

Thanks Pappy! How was the (amps) performance at rehearsal? If like mine, it would be an "I sucked, but the amp was great!" sort of moment.:p

I dunno, folks go all gaga over a number published damn near anecdotally on an illustration that was drawn 60+ years ago, and try to chase the rabbit down the hole in search of Wonderland..... only to discover (or maybe not discover) that the hole had a sign above it that said "Garbage Chute".

Wait... that was rather cruel. But lookit... you vary the voltage by 14 percent, and notice a slight change in gain, or slight change in volume. Well yah!

And no real difference in tone.

And then you get the guys who say.... "yah, but... (famous guitar player) uses a Variac on stage, and his tone is to die for... and in (widespread magazine) he said he runs lower voltage to match (some time period), so its got to be the real deal!"

Angelo Meli (look him up, Neptune Quartet... other stuff) always used to say tone is in the hands. That's stuck with me 40 years or so since we were last playing together.

He's got the tele and the cap.

Pappy58 likes this.
  10. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Precisely! More than one bandmate was annoyed! :squint: ..but I went through cycles, [stock, +verb, NFB, NFB+Fulltone, all of the above.)

So stock plus a little Verb w/ NFB off is the base setting I ended up with. Then I dialed in the fulltone to give me the Marshall when needed. I don't expect I'll use the NFB in live environments, but in the bedroom it's fantastic.

Today I rolled in some NOS tubes. GE 5Y3, Philco 12AY7 and GE 6V6s. These (Mostly the 12AY7 I suspect) took the edge of a little, sounds little more compressed.

I'm convinced now the voltage is pretty much inconsequential, other than it may effect tube life. Still like to know what Mojo was thinking with theirs tho.

:cheers2:

11. Leña_Costoso

Maybe it was "available" and they got a deal on 'em!

12. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

Seems to be a driving factor these days..

13. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Just gotta say I'm really loving this thing....and the NFB setting combined with the CB's is giving some awesome living room tones! Woot!

IMG_0634.jpg

14. chupe442

Excellent! :drool: What does the brass nameplate on the amp say? I have a couple of small cuts on my fingers that are keeping me from much other than strumming an acoustic... Hoping this weekend I can get back to bonding with mine as well!

Pappy58 likes this.
  15. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

The nameplate says "Pappy58" in Script .... got one on the 5E7 too. :thumbs: get some new skin on those cuts and play! :jam:

16. chupe442

Made this up the other day for mine. It’s crude but I really like it..

17. chupe442

CD770B56-7EFA-45CC-A86D-2B92AA584A1E.jpeg

Pappy58 likes this.
  18. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

19. chupe442

The argument of creativity falls on the cheap bastard in me... I have 2 boys. 24 and 18. Neither work on cars or tend to want to get their hands dirty. Car breaks down, I try to encourage them by helping them work on it. The older boy gets frustrated and says "I just don't have the car-geek gene in me that you do Dad". I laugh and say "its not a gene, its an economical decision and pure hatred for walking... " With this name tag. I attempted to NOT have to spend 20-30.00 I can spend on other things.. The jury is still out on mine. Once its on, there is no changing it.. :cheers:

Pappy58 likes this.
  20. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

I think it will look way too cool for school! Please post a pic of it on the amp! :thumb:

chupe442 likes this.