5E3 Build, or so it begins.

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by chupe442, Feb 20, 2018.

1. chupe442

chupe442 Confused as ever..... Premium Member

Nice job, and great info! In the end, I have nothing to compare to so mods may pretty minimal. I was not aware that the Classictone '78 had a variable secondary as well. That may have been a game changer even with the mess of extra wires. Oh-well, I have the '21, no second guessing either way.

I will stay with the eyelet the Mojo sends as I have no issues with that. I want a clean, stock build that works right off the finish.

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Yeah, turrets aren't for everyone, but I prefer them, especially if/when I choose to mod or re-do something!
    That's Just Me/YMMV,
    Gene

3. chupe442

The small parts finally showed up. Plans this evening have coincidently been cancelled (not by me but I will find something to do).

3B6E7B95-0C96-4138-9477-ECCB48746318.jpeg

bulletproof, BlueCajun and Pappy58 like this.
  4. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Sweet... remember that patience thing we discussed.....;)

bulletproof and chupe442 like this.
  5. chupe442

HA! Funny thing about patience.. Well, no not really. There is nothing funny about patience!

I think I have been pretty good with the pace of this so far and have not been chomping at the bit much. I planned on this to take a few weeks (from ordering to finish ((incl coating the cab)). I have no expectations for this evenings process. I will be home for an hour or so before my wife gets home and I even told her we were going to go out for dinner tonight. In all, If its running tomorrow night, I would be surprised (even more so if it was running tonight! :rofl: )

In all, I have some family drama as well as the passing of a kid (31 year old next week) from cancer that I have been truly blessed with getting to know that will make this build have much needed therapy for me.

6. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Oh man...so so sorry for your loss! I do hope that you find peace and comfort getting thru all that. .. and I agree on the therapy part totally...this hobby keeps me sane as I enter the "elderly" phase! God Bless!

chupe442 and bulletproof like this.
  7. chupe442

Thanks brother!

8. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Guaranteed: You never see amp builders, or Harley riders at the shrink's office.

Immersion and dedication to a person or cause, are the catalyst for perfection. Still, I am sorry for your loss.

chupe442 likes this.
  9. chupe442

10. Leña_Costoso

Fender used the leads from one capacitor to jumper over to the next - under the board.

11. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Beautiful! Nice work! So what are those filters? They look tiny!

12. chupe442

In all, I liked this better. It was easier and still looks clean. I think the purist is still reeling over the tinted poly cabinet, so an embellishment here or there would be expected..

Pappy58 likes this.
  13. chupe442

Cute lil bastad’s ain’t they? Another thing I am not going to loose sleep over. As long as the neighbors don’t have to call the FD on me at start up and it looks clean, I will be pretty stoked.

Pappy58 likes this.
  14. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

What are they tho? Can't tell zooming in. Did they come with the mojo small parts kit? :hmm:

chupe442 likes this.
  15. chupe442

yes, its what they sent.

16. Leña_Costoso

Nah, just sayin for general edumacation. To me, and I guess for Leo, it was easier to thread lead wire through eyelets than jumper 'em. Either one works.

Clean lookin' assembly so far too. Nice job!

17. Leña_Costoso

Yah, Mojo has a page whining about how ATOM capacitors are too expensive for them to include in the kits. They ought to offer both, sez I, but I'm sure they have their reasons.

ATOM caps have gotten really pricey, compared to what they were not too long ago, so I can see it.

The caps included with Mojo kits get the job done. There are lots of "Illinois" , Murata, Nichicon, Panasonic, you name it... capacitors out there. Lots of other "rebranded" ones too, aka TAD and others. They get the job done, at the sacrifice of long life. But the life may be a decade, rather than many decades, so maybe its no big deal.

On the other hand, go tap a filter capacitor with a chopstick, when you're amp is on, and at volume. You'll hear at least some noise, and perhaps more, maybe faint ringing of sorts. ATOM's are noted for that. Big size, able to take the abuse of the heat. I wonder how much they alter the tone, for good or bad, when playing at volume, just through electro-mechanical noise artifacts? Nobody ever bitches about 'em... so I dunno.

18. chupe442

[​IMG]

Getting this thing together while talking to myself. Bob Ross moments in amp building.. :cool2::cool2:

Pappy58 likes this.
  19. chupe442

They always talk about my tiny caps but not one word about my huge orange drops. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Heddok and Pappy58 like this.
  20. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

:rofl::laugh2::laugh2::lol::rofl: