59 les paul build and ??? build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by leon001, Nov 5, 2017.

1. leon001

leon001 Junior Member

Hi all, I started my 59 burst build in the early summer but had to stop due to other commitments but here is the progress so far ( back on the build now ) , I also stumbled on a lovely bit of old growth mahogany that is a nice weight ( the only problem is thick thicknes at one end is to thin for another 59 build, its about 43mm and 47 at other end ) so i'm thinking of a les paul but it will hace a slightly thinner body ? IMG_0501.JPG IMG_0502.JPG IMG_0503.JPG

Alex Dovnar likes this.
  2. leon001

leon001 Junior Member

here are some pics of thinner body IMG_0455.JPG

Attached Files:

3. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Cool. Should be a great build. Your body is less than 1/16" off spec, so I would say it is fine, just try not to sand a bunch. What kind of mahogany is it? It looks like African to me. How light is a nice weight? The ball park should be about =< 3 lbs a board ft and again you should be good. Post lots of pictures and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Cheers Peter.

4. leon001

leon001 Junior Member

The 1st with the maple is Honduran ,I’m told the thinner one is Honduran ( but I can’t confirm it ) it was a slab off an old piece of furniture , the weight is 4.3lb as it stands, just making the templates for the top carve so that’s the next step thanks

5. tabascom16

tabascom16 Junior Member

Honduran and African (khaya) are very easy to tell the difference with the end grain. Honduran mahogany has very thin and sharply defined "growth" rings. Khaya does not show this trait. It is best seen on a finished piece or smoothly sanded and wetted end grain. I never trust what someone says that you are purchasing. I have bought a lot of mahogany over the years and I will only buy it after verifying the end grain myself.

6. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Looks great, can't wait to see how it turns out.

7. leon001

leon001 Junior Member

After a further look at the thinner one it does look like african, the 1st is honduran I can see the difference after a little research, new to all this and always learning, thanks for the advice :)

8. leon001

leon001 Junior Member

Next up is the top carve, I have the Scott Wilkinson templates so just trying to decide the best way forward, i'm thinking the box jig, but cautious side of me thinking of orbital sander and sanding the steps in even though it will take a lot longer, before i do any of that though i'm going to take the top down from 22 mm to 15.88 mm, will post some pictures of how it turns out good or bad, wish me luck :Ohno:

9. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

You do not really need the box jig for the carve steps, but it is kind of handy. Here are all the templates I made to fit in the box jig.
    templates-for-boxjig.jpg

You could just make the 7 carve step templates and fasten them down to the top with screws in the pup holes or neck route. It would be very hard to sand consistently down to the correct depth. I guess you could drill holes to depth and then take it down with the sander that way. There are also a few tools that make carving easier. I think skyjerk uses something called a holey galahad. I have a similar thing I purchased from Lee Valley. They are essentially very aggressive disks for an angle grinder. Here are the holey galahd ones -
    carving_galahad.JPG

Good luck.

Cheers Peter.

10. leon001

leon001 Junior Member

Thanks Peter thats brilliant , I take it the green areas the parts that are cut out, that was the thing I was concerned about sanding think youv'e made up my mind, I was going to use this method of the square templates with just the areas cut out ( sure I seen in one of your earlier post and nicked the idea ;) )