57 Goldtop build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by shooter1371, Oct 19, 2017.

1. shooter1371

shooter1371 Senior Member

Goldtop build.jpg This is my latest build, or at least the beginning process of it. I started with a Honduran mahogany body and neck. The neck has headstock wings and 3/4 inch thick maple top. I shaved the top thickness down quite a bit for a more manageable carve. The top is unique in that it it a one piece and not two pieces joined. I don't mind it being a one piece because of the fact that the maple is eastern hard maple as opposed to a softer maple, so the stability is 100%. Please excuse the mess in the pic, my wife likes to use my work space for her painting projects, the joys of being married. I bought Bare Knuckle Riff Raff pickups for this project from an MLP member. One of my previous builds had BK PG blues and I loved those pickups. I generally source parts and hardware from Stew Mac, I have found that their dual action truss rods stabilize the neck and will produce a very playable action. Probably Grover tuners and 50's wiring with bumble bee caps. I haven't decided if I should relic the finish or not. I think gold tops look stellar with a slightly distressed finish, so I'll wait to decide on it. My band mate has already laid claim to it once I'm finished, so maybe I'll let him decide if it will be distressed or not. The good part is that this is my 5th or 6th scratch build and I've learned quite a bit, and the guitars now are far better than my first ones. MLP is a great resource for tips and techniques and I wouldn't have come this far without the knowledge and expertise out there.

yamariv, Tone_Chaser and RAG7890 like this.
  2. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

looking great, shooter. i like the one piece look. would make a nice transparent top. as far as your wifes mess....dude, you need to get a grip on things. show her the door. tell her what time the bus runs. man up-------oops gotta go, the wifes coming back in.........

cain61 and lowatter like this.
  3. shooter1371

Well, I already have the gold paint sitting around so I have to use it. My buddy also wants me to do a Norlin era tobacco burst for him. We are both cops, so he doesn't have a lot of cash. I was thinking of doing a higher quality ebay kit for him in tobacco burst. He tinkers around with those flat top junior ebay kits a little. I found that the scratch builds with good woods sound much better than the Asian kits, but its just my opinion.

Skyjerk likes this.
  4. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

One of my sons is a cop. I've asked him if he wants me to build him one for free, but he prefers playing an acoustic guitar. He's just not interested in electrics. I dont build acoustics (so far)

You should do a scratch build for your buddy. Have him buy the wood and the parts, and you make him help you build it.
    He learns something, you only have to work on it when he comes over. Can be fun, just keep the beer out of the shop ;)

shooter1371 and mux164 like this.
  5. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

That one piece top would make for an excellent tobacco burst. Possibly think about switching gears and/or order of your builds?
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

6. rockgod212

rockgod212 Senior Member

no doubt, that top looks too cool to cover it up. nice tea burst.

7. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

Yeah, and that little streak would give some awesome "character" to the piece!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

8. shooter1371

You can't see it too well in the pic, but there are some nice mineral streaking throughout. You guys are making it hard to decide.

9. fatdaddypreacher

fatdaddypreacher V.I.P. Member

that's our job

cain61 and bhmcintosh like this.
  10. shooter1371

image.jpg I shot the paint last night. I just barely put a 12" radius on the fretboard and it needs to be bound.

11. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

Looking good.
    What bridge will you be installing? The post holes look massive, like for a metric / Epi style. :confused:

stonedmoses likes this.