57 Futura build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pshupe, Jun 18, 2017.

1. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

So I trimmed up the wedges and rough sanded the neck body join. I am happy with the way it went together. I sourced some vintage correct long bushings and tailpiece as well as drilled ground wire into the control cavity. I thought the bushings maybe too tight in the holes but they pressed in quite well with my drill press.
    pressedbushings.JPG

Tailpiece slid on perfectly.
    tailpiece.JPG

I have to source a bridge and I'll be able to get the intonation done. Ideally I want to have the PUPs, rings, bridge, and pickguard all roughly placed together before drilling any holes. This guitar is a challenge with all the pieces that have to line up together. The treble bridge stud goes through the pickguard and the thumb wheel sits above on one side. I'm sneaking up on completion of this guitar, which is great.

Cheers Peter.

mdubya likes this.
  2. replaburst59er

replaburst59er Senior Member

WOW! What a beauty she will be at completion!!! Bet she will also sound as good as she looks too. :)

3. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb

This thing is amazing, Peter. Beautiful. Are you keeping this one or just shipping it off unfinished?

4. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Thanks guys. No, this one is not mine. A forum friend sent me the awesome wood and it will be shipped off. I have another one which is a two piece Korina body which is quite a bit behind this one, for me. Unless someone offers me the right $$$. ;-) I was hoping to get a bridge from TB but he is clean out of the nickel bridges. Could've gone gold! ;-)

I'm liking this build but it is a lot of work and I can see why they changed quite a few things when they went into production with the Explorer.

Cheers Peter.