57 Futura build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pshupe, Jun 18, 2017.

1. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

So I trimmed up the wedges and rough sanded the neck body join. I am happy with the way it went together. I sourced some vintage correct long bushings and tailpiece as well as drilled ground wire into the control cavity. I thought the bushings maybe too tight in the holes but they pressed in quite well with my drill press.
    pressedbushings.JPG

Tailpiece slid on perfectly.
    tailpiece.JPG

I have to source a bridge and I'll be able to get the intonation done. Ideally I want to have the PUPs, rings, bridge, and pickguard all roughly placed together before drilling any holes. This guitar is a challenge with all the pieces that have to line up together. The treble bridge stud goes through the pickguard and the thumb wheel sits above on one side. I'm sneaking up on completion of this guitar, which is great.

Cheers Peter.

n32, lakeburst and mdubya like this.
  2. replaburst59er

replaburst59er Senior Member

WOW! What a beauty she will be at completion!!! Bet she will also sound as good as she looks too. :)

3. Skyjerk

Skyjerk Meatbomb Silver Supporter

This thing is amazing, Peter. Beautiful. Are you keeping this one or just shipping it off unfinished?

4. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Thanks guys. No, this one is not mine. A forum friend sent me the awesome wood and it will be shipped off. I have another one which is a two piece Korina body which is quite a bit behind this one, for me. Unless someone offers me the right $$$. ;-) I was hoping to get a bridge from TB but he is clean out of the nickel bridges. Could've gone gold! ;-)

I'm liking this build but it is a lot of work and I can see why they changed quite a few things when they went into production with the Explorer.

Cheers Peter.

5. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Finally got my parts in. USPS and Canada Post don't make the perfect team but it ended up being quite inexpensive, if not speedy. I got some stuff from Dan and MojoAxe. Amazing stuff at a great price and impeccably shipped. 5 stars on that purchase.

So now it's time to pick pickguard colour. I have a couple of options. Single ply black, 4 ply W-B-W-B, or 4 ply B-W-B-W. Any comments? I like the 4 ply with the white on top myself, but it will be up to the man who's guitar this is!!

Here is a mock up with black - forgive the dark grey PG but I just printed black on a piece of paper.
    black_PG.JPG

and White - 4 ply -
    white_PG.JPG

Once this is selected I can cut the PG and align with bridge, PUPs, and drill for all holes.

Cheers Peter.

6. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

This is looking great, Peter. If it were mine, I'd prefer the WBWB. :)

pshupe likes this.
  7. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Me too!

Cheers Peter.

8. replaburst59er

replaburst59er Senior Member

3rd that motion! :)

9. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

So we are going with 4 ply WBWB. I want this to fit extremely well so I'll lay it all out in my CAD program. Here's where I am now.

[​IMG]

I want the switch to be pretty much centered in the switch cavity. The edges are going to be beveled so I want to layout where the screws are going to sit so I don't get too close to the edge when I counter sink into the 4 ply PG material. Hopefully this should work out perfectly. The back control cover will be made of the same stuff and the screws are located so that it could be reversed, depending on your mood! ;-)

Cheers Peter.

10. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

CNC'd the pick guard and control cover out of some awesome 4 ply Mojoaxe vintage material. I'm hoping to maximize this sheet. I was going to try and do the bevel on my CNC with a V-bit but thought it may be more trouble than it's worth. I stuck the PG material onto some 1/4" mdf and will use that as a template for a 45 degree bevel bit in the router table.

Here it is in the CNC machine -
    PG_CNC.jpg
    bevel on the router table -
    PG_bevel.jpg

I just used a countersink in my drill for the pick guard screws. I was going to try the drill press with a depth stop but it was easier just to do it with the rechargeable hand held.

Mock up -
    PG_mockup.jpg

So now I can line up everything and set the bridge location, pups, and pickguard. Then onto Fret level & dress and this will be pretty much wrapped up.

Cheers Peter.

mdubya, lakeburst, WhiteEpiLP and 3 others like this.
  11. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

I made up another pickguard. This time without the screw in between the pups. This time I just stuck the template I created on the CNC machine to the PG material and cut and routed on the router table. Old school! ;-)

I cut out close to the edge of the template with the band saw and then did the beveled edges because I didn't want to change bits.
    IMG_4539.JPG
    Then used the flush trim bit to do the square areas. Problem with this bit is it's a 3/8" diameter and my radius is 1/8", so what to do what to do. Get out my tiny 3/16" diameter bit and get right into the corners of course. Here is the tiny amana bit beside that 3/8" template bit. Look at the size of the bearing on this thing.
    IMG_4541.JPG

Worked really really nice. Over to the drill press to drill the holes
    IMG_4542.JPG
    and then hand drill with countersink bit, freehanding it.
    IMG_4543.JPG
    and a quick mock up with the other korina futura body
    IMG_4544.JPG

That's it for tonight.

Cheers Peter.

12. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

A fine-looking ax, sir!

13. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

So I managed to get some time on this guitar again. I leveled, dressed, and polished up the frets as well as set the bridge and mounted all the hardware and intonated etc. This design sure is challenging. There's lots of back and forth between lining up pups, pup rings, pole pieces, and pickguard. The bridge sits on top of the pickguard so the pickguard gets drilled after the bridge is set. Then everything else has to get lined up. It worked out quite well but it will look a lot better after the protective film is peeled off the pickguard. I'm sending this guitar off prior to finish so I wanted to keep the pickguards etc all pristine until final assembly. Here are some pictures of this build finally wrapped up. Next up will be packaging it up and shipping to it's new owner. Thanks for watching. It was quite a ride. ;-)

Finished04.JPG Finished05.JPG
    Finished01.JPG Finished02.JPG
    Finished06.JPG

I was surprised that the strings weren't fowling as much as I had anticipated. The D & G strings do not fowl at all so it's really just the A & B strings that slightly touch the E tuner posts, actually just the wound E strings on the posts.

On to some of my other projects that were on the back burner.

Cheers Peter.

14. Pesh

Pesh Senior Member

THESE BUILDS ARE AWESOME! Wish I had a CNC! :D

pshupe likes this.
  15. SlingBlader

SlingBlader Premium Member

Simply awesome, Peter. I love it!

16. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Thanks guys. CNC is not magic. Frankly sometimes it is more work. Where it comes in handy is repeatability. I have built about 10 guitars and different necks etc and none have been exactly the same. My background is in drafting and 3d modeling so it's a logical design choice but I could just as easily create mdf templates and been just as quick and accurate.

Cheers Peter.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    cain61 and archey like this.
  17. cain61

cain61 Senior Member

CNC or not, it's still a fine ax. I would suspect programming the CNC is an exacting science in itself.

18. redking

redking Senior Member

Killer Peter!!!!