'57 Custom VOS - your thoughts - thick vs slim neck

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by 1Step4Ward, Sep 8, 2010.

1. 1Step4Ward

1Step4Ward Junior Member

Hi - i played a 2009 '57 VOS Custom - it was really an awesome guitar.

it had incredible tone - but a really thick neck - i played a number of other standards that had a slimmer '60s neck.

can i hear your thoughts on the thick vs slim neck?

thanks

2. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

You are the one that has to live with whatever you choose,not anyone else,so I suggest you get the one that suits you and not what the fan boys decide on.

3. Tim Plains

Tim Plains Senior Member

Go try a '68 Custom at Guitar Center if you like slim necks. I've never played the GC '68 but I've read here at MLP that they have slim necks. Regular '68s have fat necks. Similar guitar but with a maple cap & Gibson USA pots/caps.

4. Mike Irvin

Mike Irvin Senior Member

Wood is good! :thumb:

5. Jon Rambo

Jon Rambo Senior Member

All depends on personal taste. I prefer a fatter neck, but not too fat cause I still like to play fast.

6. PeteK

PeteK Senior Member

I've got pretty big hands so naturally I prefer thicker necks. Most of my guitars have baseball bat necks. The thin ones just tend to make my fret hand cramp up. But, to each his own. What feels right for me may not feel right for you.

7. SGMM

SGMM Senior Member

Much prefer fat necks....slim/wide/thin are wrist-crampers....ymmv!!

8. planks

planks Senior Member

+1

9. JIM'S GoldTOP

JIM'S GoldTOP Senior Member

I have bigger hands but i love my slim-taper neck on my classic. So comfortable to play on, and very fast, IMO. Your really the one that is going to have to make the descision, b/c your the one buying the guitar.

10. slither

slither Senior Member

I like the fatter necks, even though my hands are only averaged sized. I think you need to try out the guitar for a good half hour to an hour to get used to it, or not, as the case may be. A 5 minute noodle isn't really enough to make a judgement.

I hear that the 60RI Customs have slimmer necks, if it's a Custom that you are particularly looking for.

11. bluefrog

bluefrog Senior Member

Hi the tone comes from the neck too! - so for tone I wd tend for a fat neck, too.
    But it must suit to your hand and feeling.
    Play it unplugged and listen to the sound - what speaks more to you and
    does the hand like it ? This leads you sure in the right direction.

12. Phil47uk

Phil47uk Senior Member

Whatever feels comfortable..
    All this fat neck vs thick neck stuff with re superior tone is crap. It's all in the stiffness of the neck joint and individual to each guitar.
    If fat necks are superior in tone to slimmer necks then forget most of Koss's stuff with Free as Erics Bluesbreaker album and Page's stuff because they were mostly all slim neck profile Les Paul's.
    Some fat necks sound great, as do some slimmer necks.. It's just a case of finding the right one with your name on it.

13. AndyC

AndyC Senior Member

I agree with Phil (always). It doesn't affect the tone in any significant way - it affects the way the guitar feels and fits your hand. I have large hands. I prefer medium sized (R9-ish) necks. Not too fat, not Ibanez/Shredder thin. YMWV.

14. stinger

stinger Senior Member

The neck contributes to the tone but it's the piece of wood, not the size of it. Now on the 57 BB's, they come with a larger neck because that's how they came in 57. No slim version except in rare cases. My BB has a slimmer neck about the size of an R9. This is an anomily as far as I know because I have never heard of another with a slim neck like mine. The slim 60's vs the thicker 50's applied to the Gibson USA models, not the historics.

15. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

There is the '60 reissue Custom...

16. River

River Senior Member

I think almost anyone can get used to almost anything. Switching between my '92 Standard and R8 is like going between a #2 pencil and a baseball bat. It took me a while, but I now like the one I switch to better, whichever it is. :)

17. LongBeach

LongBeach Premium Member

Exactly :thumb: I can play my 68 for an hour, put it away, grab my R0, which feels like grasping a toothpick after the 68. But, I adjust, not a big deal.

I just wanted to quote you River, its all the rage!

18. stinger

stinger Senior Member

I was speaking of the 57, I forgot about these but this would be a great alternative if a slimmer neck is desired. But I've never played one. Are the necks as slim as an R0?

19. Boleskinehouse

Boleskinehouse Senior Member

Supposedly... I've never played one either but they are advertised as having the '60 profile. I'm sure they vary quite a bit.

20. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

I played an old 89 Epi with a very slim neck for years. Ran across a 99 R7 in a vintage guitar shop a few months ago. It had the big fat neck profile and I couldn't put the thing down. I visited several times and each visit I liked it more and more. I ended up buying it and love the neck. I can still pick up the Epi or the Faded Special (with slimmer profile neck) and love the feel of each one.

Don't be turned off or skeered of the thick neck. Play it for a while and you my find you just love it. :cool: