57 Classic and Classic Plus opinions for hard rock?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by ledvedder, Dec 2, 2017.

1. ledvedder

ledvedder Member

What do you guys think of these pickups for hard rock? I recently bought a 2016 Les Paul traditional, which I absolutely love, feel and playing-wise. But something about the pickups in it aren't doing it for me. I play through both a Marshall DSL and a Ceriatone Chupacabra, which is basically a hot-rodded plexi. I have a Peavey Wolfgang with an EVH Wolfgang pickup and a parts Strat with an EVH Frankenstein pickup, and these both sound and feel amazing through my amps. I'm not sure what is going on with the 57 Classics in the LP. Maybe I have them too close or too far from the strings? Maybe they just aren't the pickups for me? I see tons of great reviews about them, but mostly for lower gain classic rock and clean stuff. The tone I always like to dial in is reminiscent of VHII. I was playing with my amps for a few hours tonight, and just couldn't get that dialed in when using the Les Paul.

2. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

To me, my amps, my ears, the 57's / 57+ has fewer mids, which make the highs seems a bit more pronounced. Not sure if they have more "sparkle" but they appear to sound that way (on account of reduced mids??).

Sometimes, we get sort of set into "how the amp should be set" and say the guitar has less than great tone. I've noticed with these two latest guitars, the 90's in an SG require totally different settings than my LP with 490r/490t. The P90's need a lot less treble, back off the presence control too. The 490 set needs more top end, they're too middy and muddy if I use the same settings as with the 90's. All of that predicated on my individual guitars, amp, the speakers in the amp, and my ears. Change to your ears, or any different hardware, and perception may change.

If you can't get it dialed in, try to ask yourself... is it lacking mids? Is it icepick in the ear... what ever. If it can't be corrected, at least you can use some of the tone evaluation charts to seek possible cures.

So much of what we have in guitardom is lore. Like staggered screw slot angles "sounding best". I'd rather have old growth wooden knobs... they sound best!

And now, I need to change the playing cards on my bicycle spokes. I've noticed speeds dropping when the cards get worn and lose their brrrrrrp as I ride.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  3. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I tried a set and they didn’t last long. For rawking out, IMO, they have all the appeal of warm yogurt.

Jymbopalyse likes this.
  4. Jymbopalyse

Jymbopalyse Senior Member

I think for the Hard Rock tonz you need a more aggressive pickup.

You might be able to find an overdrive peddle that works with the 57's and your Laney but that's just making the best of a situation. I did this for years not realizing that 57's are great for Rock & Roll but IMHO you need to step up the game of your pickups for Hard Rock.

5. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

Put a 300k volume pot in the bridge for the 57+. Or roll the tone down to 6.

I also like to run my 57's a little low. It gives them room to breathe. Too high and they scream too much in the high end.

6. Dick Banks

Dick Banks Senior Member

Great for blues, even harder Thorogood/Clapton type blues, and jazz. Can "get by" for rock, if your amp and pedals can compensate. Out of the question for metal.
    I love 'em, but I'm not a rocker.

7. flamesarewicked

flamesarewicked Senior Member

They do well with blues and classic rock.. heavy heavy stuff not as much. Then again, some like using the bridge position of a strat that has single coils. To each is their own. Your ears will be the judge, jury, and executioner

8. 1all's Pub

1all's Pub Senior Member

I find 57 Classics to be very middle of the road. Acceptable, but far from exceptional. Solid B/B- pickups... maybe C+ depending on the guitar. Never make it into the A range. IMO/IME.

In short, there are just soooo many better choices out there.

Late Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot to mention... IME, where 57s tend to shine the best is in semi-hollow and hollow bodies. The times when 57s have most impressed me were in these formats... which, generally don’t tend to be hard rock guitars. Not that you can’t use them for that, but generally they aren’t.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    northernguitarguy likes this.
  9. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Personally, I think the best lower output pups for RAWK, Metal and the like are T-Tops or a good clone.

10. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

Totally depends on what sort of tone you're trying to capture. There's no generic Hard Rock or Metal tone. If you like the sound you hear, then they work. The amp is much more important when it comes to that sound.

Nick

11. tjdjr1

tjdjr1 Member

I have them in 2 bridge positions of 2 les pauls and we cover from doobie bros to metallica. The pickups are versatile but do need player tweaking / gain changes to cover it all. I have run duncans and dimarzios and the lower output pups allow more versatility for me.

12. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

I also like flat pole screws on 57's. I have had different techs radius the poles screws on my 57's and it ruins the tone I like in them.

I like them for anything heavy up to and including nwobhm.

13. ledvedder

ledvedder Member

Ok, I lowered the pickups some more. They're almost flush with the pickup ring. I can kind of get everything dialed in to where I'm happy with the bridge pickup tone. Then, as soon as I flip to the neck it's mud city.

14. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Les Paul 101.....set up your tone for the neck pickup and then dial the tone on the bridge back to where its no longer shrill.

15. Gem23

Gem23 Member

Try raising the treble side of the neck pickup and maybe raise some of the polepieces a tad, the clarity comes.