56/57 Gold Top

Discussion in 'Epiphone Les Pauls' started by PickHappy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. PickHappy

PickHappy Member

Guys,

What is the difference between the above; I can only find info on the 57 from Wikipedia?

1957 Les Paul Goldtop (Limited Edition)
    Epiphone's limited edition recreation of the 1957 Les Paul Goldtop features similar specifications to its Gibson counterpart. The main difference between the current models is that Gibson's Custom '57 Goldtop features two Burstbucker pickups, while Epiphone's version has dual Alnico V humbucking pickups.[3]

2. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

56 GT has P90's and the 57 GT has the Classic 57 Humbuckers. I am not sure if there is a difference in the neck between the two.

3. Tollan

Tollan Senior Member

The 56 has a slightly thicker neck, I believe, and comes with p-90s installed, instead of humbuckers. Those are the 2 main differences I think. I've never seen/held a 57 so I'm not totally sure. Anyone else know any more?

PS. I have an upgraded 56 GT for sale at the mo with Gibson mini humbuckers instead of the p-90s :)

4. sweatyhand

sweatyhand Senior Member

I would go with 57 all the way, I have one, absolutely love it !!!!!

:applause:

5. Tollan

Tollan Senior Member

Well... I have a 56 and I absolutely love it too (very reluctantly having to sell it) so I'm not sure. Depends on your taste, style and size of hands etc.

6. PickHappy

PickHappy Member

Wanna swap me the humbuckers for p90's? :D

7. Tollan

Tollan Senior Member

hehehe... nice idea, but the gibson minibuckers retail at over £100 each (and sound a.m.a.z.i.n.g)! :hmm:

8. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I think the 57 GT will be hard to find now except maybe outside the US. I have one and it's a great guitar. Besides the Gibby 57 classic pups, it has a Switchcraft toggle and input jack and Mallory 150 caps. The neck is the thinner 60's style. The 56 GT is an excellent choice too and still available.

9. maxxi

maxxi Senior Member

id go with a 56 GT myself, if i wanted humbuckers id get a LP standard :applause:

10. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

I have the 56 GT and love the way it plays, as most people that have the 56 GT state that it plays amazingly well. I swapped out the bridge pup for a P90 mini humbucker, but the neck pup sounds amazing and I did not want to swap it out. I use the bridge for harder gain stuff and the neck for softer clean stuff, so I wanted something a little hotter for the bridge to make the guitar more versitile.

[​IMG]

11. PickHappy

PickHappy Member

Great, thanks guys

12. GitFiddle

GitFiddle Premium Member

The original Gibson Les Pauls had P90 pickups in 1956. 1957 was the first year they had humbucker pickups.

13. paruwi

paruwi Kraut-Rocker Super Mod Premium Member

14. the1jj

the1jj Senior Member

Gibson 57 classics. Mallory caps, switchcraft hardware, with push pulls. The 57 Goldtop is hard to beat.

That being said, I would love to try a 56. I bet it would sound amazing with a RS kit, and some Wolfetone Meaner's.

15. Bandit79

Bandit79 Senior Member

'56 Goldtop has P-90's. Gibsons if I'm correct. The '57 has Gibson 57 classic and classic plus humbuckers, Switchcraft Jack and Switch, Push/Pull tone pots for Series/Parallel circuits between pickups, and Mallory 150 capacitors(Metallized polyester, not PIO as some people have said in the past.)

I've found that Epi necks usually depend on which factory they came out of.

Edit. The '57 also comes with strap locks.

16. Mantis

Mantis Senior Member

they pretty much covered it, I own a 56, the p90's rock, im sure the 57 is a decent Epi, i haven't played one though. if you like a bright tone guitar with a thick neck, you'll like a 56

17. SJM

SJM Premium V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

There is so very little information about them available. Almost like it was a secret or something. Sam Ash had them here in the US and that's where I got mine. It was advertised in SA's April edition of Gear Guide. SA's description was Epiphone Les Paul 57 Gold Top and was said to have Alnico V pickups with a mahogany body and mahogany top. The surprise was what it really had. Gibson 57 Classic pups, Mallory 150 caps, switchcraft toggle and input. They were selling them for $499US. Other than the color and electronic upgrades is just an Epi LP Standard and certainly nothing like the Elitist. I know you've been a great source for info on Epi models. If you ever come across any info on this model, I would love to see it. I've never been able to find anything except what Sam Ash had posted and also Guitar VillageUK. Here's a photo of mine.
    SANY0011.jpg