54-55 Les Paul Jr Single Cut Build Questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by shickma0, Jun 27, 2017.

1. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

Hi all! This is my first post on this forum so pardon any issues it may have. So here is a little background. Id like to build a Les Paul Jr, specifically a 1954-55 spec model. I'm a big fan of punk rock (yea I know so is like every other stereotypical high school student) and really like the tone of P-90s. I currently have a 1955 reissue Les Paul custom that I've done work on (all of the electronic bits and bobs, fret level,crowning etc, and setup) so I have a decent idea of how to do that. I have also been working with circuits and the like so I'm competent regarding the electronic side and I've done many woodworking projects before so I'm all set there. I decided that for a first build I'd rather use a kit over a scratch-build and settled on precision guitar kits as I hear they have excellent quality products. So now for the actual questions.

1. What are some tips for first time kit builders? Especially a very young person such as myself who has fairly limited resources. Id like too keep this build under 6-700$ as that is about as much as I can make in a summer. (The kit itself is around 339.00)

2. What pickups would some of you recommend? I've got an OnlyMusic blues p90 and a Seymour Duncan antiquity in my guitars at the moment so im sure there are hundreds of others that are good pickups.

3. Is there anybody on the forums near the Indiana area or close enough to ship an entire set neck guitar to that does sunburst paint jobs (I have no spray equipment that I would feel comfortable using to not mess up a guitar with) and if so what would a rough cost estimate be for a paint job similar to the photos attached (I tried to be as detailed as possible with them)

And finally if this post is in the wrong area sorry about that. Thanks for taking the time to read this and have a good rest of your day.

-S

thumbnail_IMG_3659.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3660.jpg thumbnail_IMG_3667.jpg IMAG0063 (1).jpg

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

shickma0,
    First, let me welcome you to this great forum! Second, allow me to say how refreshing it is to have a younger person, such as yourself, show a genuine and realistic interest in doing his own guitar work and getting into building them and arranging/understanding how to pay for it. You are even being fairly realistic about a budget. This shows me that there are at least a few adults/parents in this world still doing their job! :dude: The down side is that having someone else put the finish on your build (with any kind of reasonable quality) will likely blow your budget right out of the water! For a first build, with a kit, it's certainly no sin to use rattle cans and many regular repeat builders swear by this method! Besides being a regular here, asking questions of some of "the best of the best" you should also become a member over at the Reranch forum:

http://reranch.com/reranch/index.php

and pick the brains of some well experienced finishers and go to the Reranch tutorial page:

http://www.reranch.com/basics.htm

and read all their prep and finishing tutorials, maybe even a few times and even read the ones that you may not think pertain to your situation, as there are many kernels of finishing wisdom scattered throughout and you may get inspired in ways that surprise you. :naughty: Also, their Reranch products are generally regarded as some of the best rattle can finishes available.

Oh, and be forewarned, this guitar building thing is a SERIOUS addiction that is harder to kick than most drugs out there!:wow:

Again, Welcome & Enjoy The Ride!
    Gene

3. shickma0

shickma0 Junior Member

Thanks for such a quick reply. Ive looked at reranch before and have definitely considered going with their product. If I did, I more than likely would just spray solid black and use a tortoise pickguard because having used rattlecans before, they're a real pain sometimes, so Id keep it simple Id say. And haha its probably worse than GAS from what ive heard. Thanks for the kind words as well.
    -S