'53 conversion / Playing Jimmy as I sing Plant

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by dice.K, Aug 21, 2017.

1. dice.K

dice.K Junior Member

IMG_2030.JPG Does anybody know specifically what bridge was on her before?

Slater529 likes this.
  2. joff

joff Senior Member

What is the story with having the Custom Shop 'Beano' Les Paul re-finished and re-necked...was the neck broken?

Did you keep the original pickups in it?

3. harrie 0492

harrie 0492 Senior Member

4. dice.K

dice.K Junior Member

IMG_7998.JPG Yes, her neck broke. I was walking down the street carrying her in a hardshell case and some dope hit me by a car. He said his insurance was going to pay, so I had her re-necked.

Why didn't I just have her glue-fixed was that I was wondering all these years, or even desiring to know, how the sound would change if one of my Les Paul had her neck re-necked. I must confess, the accident made me easier.

The pickups. I am very sorry. I messed up. I was trying to split the coils, and when I was pulling out the conductor cable between those two coils, it just came off. Literally with no effort. I mean, I've done coil-splitting many times, so I was pretty sure what I was doing...but, I messed up. I'm sorry, very sorry.

I messed up both(´;ω;`)

That was before the accident happened, so anyway...

I am very sorry about what I did.
    (´;ω;`)

I installed BR-PAF on the neck side, and Whole Lotta Humbucker for the bridge side.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
    Moby Dick and RevWillie like this.
  5. joff

joff Senior Member

Ouch...sorry to hear about that accident...and being a Beano owner myself, i know that you must have been very up-set about it!

So, the new neck...did you have a similar neck profile as it had before or go thicker or thinner?

6. lord-humongous

lord-humongous Member

Great job. No criticism warranted.

7. dice.K

dice.K Junior Member

IMG_0705.JPG Wow! Joff, you're a Beano owner, too?
    That guitar grooves, doesn't it?
    (≧∇≦)

Well yes, at the time, I was so upset that I even forgot to yell at the guy! Lol
    Eventually I got her re-necked without spending a penny, she sounds more fascinating than it used to, although, I had to wait for almost a year to get her re-necked; more than half a year for the Mahogany lumber to get "vintagized", and another few months to get the actual re-neck work done.

About the new neck. It's a '59 profile. "The original profile or a thicker profile" it was really hard to decide. But one of the luthiers suggested me that if the neck was made thicker, then it's possible to get it re-shaped like the original Beano even after the re-neck is done, since Beano's neck is a '60s profile it's much thinner than a '50s. And that doesn't work the other way around. You know, re-shaping a thin neck to a thick neck is impossible, obviously, so...

I guess she's absolutely not "Beano" anymore.
    (´;▽;`)

Top:recent
    Bottom:former
    As you can see, there's a quite difference in thickness between these two. IMG_0706.JPG

8. joff

joff Senior Member

The original fretboard looks very pale?...but that is a very nice dark fretboard on the new neck.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  9. dice.K

dice.K Junior Member

IMG_7795.JPG Former one is Indian Rosewood. Current one is Brazilian Rosewood. I picked out of ten boards. They had more darker colored ones but the one I chose was a brownish one because Jimmy's No.1's fingerboard seems a little bit brownish.
    Not just colors that I examined, but I also checked the tone. They were all selected lumbers already so they all had an amazing tone. I picked out a bell-like tone one which had a great sustain.

Around 2011 to 2012, I suppose Gibson started to run out of fine lumbers. They started using Fijian Mahoganies instead of Central/South American Mahoganies for necks. They totally ran out of fine dark colored Rosewood as well. And in 2013 they started using Fijian for bodies. My Beano's original neck was Fijian Mahogany and the body C./S. American.

10. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Page is the reason i play! One of my favorite Page vids would be from "It might get loud" of him playing "Ramble on". Just watching the emotion he plays with was spine chilling.
    Im no where near your skill level yet but an hour or so i day for the last 4 years I've chipped away at it.
    My friends tell me I can sing but I definitely cant do it while I play, I either stop singing or play like crap.
    Watching you definitely inspires me to keep going.

11. joff

joff Senior Member

My original VOS Beano developed a small crack in the back of the body...i thought that Gibson Custom Shop was going to just repair it but they actually built me a new replacement Beano without telling me. The new one did not have a nice top but it got a broken headstock with Fedex...so Gibson Custom Shop built me another new replacement. This time, i got to pick the top out of six hand selected tops and i got to pick one of their last dark one-piece Indian Rosewood fretboards (this was in early 2012 when they were fitting the two-piece fretboards)...i asked for the guitar to be lightweight and well balanced...and they sure delivered with it coming in at only 8 lb 6 oz...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also have a 2004 JP #1 Aged...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    dice.K likes this.
  12. srb531

srb531 Senior Member

good job w/ that , its hard to play & sing at the same time plus throw in all the showmanship. when i listen to it closely i notice the vocals go a bit flat sometimes. but thats why we play, record & listen back, to learn from it.

13. dice.K

dice.K Junior Member

Joff, your Beano is amazing! That grain, "rift sawn grain" you call it? It looks just like Jimmy Page's No.1! And the dark colored fretboard! She's unbelievable!!
    (≧∇≦)Beautiful!
    And you also have "2004 No.1 aged"? I had a chance to play "No.1 aged" that had an early serial number, #17 or something like that, and that was the very guitar which made me re---ally into Les Paul! I very much wanted it but I couldn't afford it at the time.
    You lucky man!!

Srb531, thank you for the advice!! I'll practice more, a lot more!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  14. dice.K

dice.K Junior Member

IMG_0151.JPG My 'modified' Beano.

RevWillie likes this.
  15. joff

joff Senior Member

My VOS Beano does not have the diagonal flame of Jimmy Page's #1, but my JP #1 Aged does...

[​IMG]

dice.K likes this.
  16. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Nice guitar, good voice, great playing! :applause:

17. Xrun Morzov

Xrun Morzov Senior Member

I'll say again - great conversion! Has the neck been reset on this?
    Can you record some clips of clean sound on it? Thanks!

18. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

Very cool!
    You can play/entertain for sure . . . I got the jelly jells, lol
    But it sort of hurts looking at the guit hang that low. Doesnt seem to bother you though . . .
    :cheers2:

19. dice.K

dice.K Junior Member

I'm sorry for the late reply.

Joff, that grain is killing me! That slanted flame! Damn that's cool!

And Xrun Morzov, I've uploaded another video playing in a clean sound. Thanks for the request!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017
    Xrun Morzov, joff, jerry47 and 2 others like this.
  20. fretboarder

fretboarder Senior Member

Thats a real nice spray job on there.. as good as any 59 no doubt..