50's Wood? This is How a Good Les Paul Supposed to Sound Like

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by d1m1, Nov 6, 2017.

1. StevieB

StevieB Junior Member

Guitarman12 .... I saw a British TV programme years ago where David Kossoff talked about Paul and his drug problem. David Kossoff stated that on Paul's grave was the epitaph "All Right Now" and also said that he was buried with his Les Paul.... must admit my thought was "dig it up!"

d1m1 likes this.
  2. boola1

boola1 Member

If it has no sustain when unplugged, it wont have much when plugged in.

If you want a guitar that truly sings (without needing tonnes of gain), you need a resonant, sustaining guitar.

d1m1 likes this.
  3. PierM

PierM Premium Member

Ahahah you are right. I'll run away as well... :laugh2::laugh2:

judson likes this.
  4. Sunburstman

Sunburstman Senior Member

it looks like a hard maple top on that LP, which is why it sounds very bright and loud. I could be wrong, just my opinion!

5. asapmaz

asapmaz Senior Member

The gentleman in the video is now the former owner of the Kossoff burst. He sold it about a month ago.

RAG7890 likes this.
  6. mono

mono Senior Member

I find it fascinating that this is really a talking point. If anyone could identify a burst from any other guitar in a blindfolded unplugged test I would eat my hat.

kiko, BBD and PierM like this.
  7. xeizo

xeizo Senior Member

I agree that thing sounded rusty, lots of band noise too, not the buttery ringing as it should be. But as said, these are electric guitars so has no correspondence to how it sounds plugged, my acoustically loudest Les Paul is a Epi Plustop Pro that rings like a bell unplugged, but still the Goldtop sounds superior in every way when plugged.
    My loudest solid body is the Classic 50s Tele, it's almost like a acoustic guitar unplugged, very loud. But the coolest to play unplugged is the Gretsch Streamliner(335-style) which sounds like a 57 Les Paul through a clean Marshall stack unplugged, rather fun, but as said those qualitites goes mostly unnoticed when plugged. Electric is a different animal :)

BBD, mono and PierM like this.
  8. BBD

BBD Senior Member

This gets so muddled up. If the guitar sounds loud and resonant unplugged, it's losing energy from its strings to the body too quickly (hence the loud acoustic resonance of the body vibrating). Remember it's energy in the vibrating string that drives the voltage in the pickup that makes the amplified sound loud and sustaining. So, you can have a loud acoustic resonance or you can have a loud, sustaining amplified tone, but not from the same guitar.

xeizo and mono like this.
  9. boola1

boola1 Member

This is wrong. The strings and body are a system. If the body resonates with the strings, it will increase sustain on the strings. If the body acts as a damper, it will kill sustain in the strings.

Bobby Mahogany and Kitsune like this.
  10. BBD

BBD Senior Member

No it isn't :)

The flow of energy is from string to body, not body to string. So the vibration of the body does not magically 'feed back' energy into the string. Energy flows in a system like the guitar are a one-way thing. Otherwise we are drifting into perpetual motion machine territory, and that's never a good idea.

Think about what you've said.

The body can only resonate if it is an efficient conduit of energy from the string to the atmosphere. That's what resonance *is*.

If the body were a 'damper' (ie non-resonant) then energy would leave the string less efficiently and the string would vibrate for longer, increasing the loudness and sustain of the amplified signal.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    xeizo likes this.
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

............well, I know my Wife loves ‘60’s Wood. ;) :naughty: :D

:cheers2:

12. boola1

boola1 Member

Sorry but I think you're out of your depth. Now I remember why I left these forums. Bye!

Kitsune likes this.
  13. mono

mono Senior Member

Conservation of energy

BBD likes this.
  14. kiko

kiko Senior Member

Nicely said sir! :applause:

I have played some "acoustically" resonant solid bodies but sounds like $h!t plugged in.

xeizo and BBD like this.
  15. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Either you demonstrate why, or it's just hot air. Bye.

xeizo likes this.
  16. BBD

BBD Senior Member

As you would expect, since they are losing energy too rapidly from the strings for a loud and sustaining amplified sound.

17. sws1

sws1 V.I.P. Member

If you want the best sustaining guitar, make it out of concrete and steel. Then you won't lose any string energy to resonance.

lpcustom69, Lousyatit and RevWillie like this.
  18. BBD

BBD Senior Member

But at 22lb, it would re-define ye Norlin Era Boat Anchor :)

19. boola1

boola1 Member

I don't want to be insulting but you don't seem to understand physics very well and I have neither the patience or time to get into an argument that I can't win because of the ignorance of the other party(s). Sorry to be insulting but I can't think of any other way to put it.

Not only that but you are ignoring what many famous guitarists, the best musicians in the world repeatedly say about choosing a good instrument - See the Gary Moore video above. I know you wont listen to anything I say but maybe you would them.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  20. BBD

BBD Senior Member

Unless and until you describe the errors in what I have said, you are simply making a noise. I don't wish to be insulting either, but I don't have patience with people who claim superior topic knowledge but refuse to engage in a discussion of the specifics. I tend to assume that they are bluffing their arses off.