50's Wood? This is How a Good Les Paul Supposed to Sound Like

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by d1m1, Nov 6, 2017.

1. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

Sounds this thing unplugged amazing or is it just me? Resonant, loud, woody; kinda like hollow body / acoustic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    Mouse, rogue3, BadMojo and 5 others like this.
  2. PierM

PierM Premium Member

This more sounding like rusted strings....:iough:

THDNUT and sk8rat like this.
  3. Tomsmenace

Tomsmenace Senior Member

50's wood....

that sounds dirty.

4. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

then start to use rusted strings as well, maybe your guitars will sound good to :D

Gem23, DW4LesPaul and judson like this.
  5. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

I think that's just his picking style. He does that hard pluck thing that makes it sound like an old banjo.

Bobby Mahogany, cooljuk, kiko and 2 others like this.
  6. Left Paw

Left Paw Senior Member

Old wood sounds better than that. His style is 'plinky' to my ears.

winexprt likes this.
  7. asapmaz

asapmaz Senior Member

That looks to be Tom Wittrock's 1958 Moon-burst being played in a hotel room during the Arlington show weekend.
    And, yes, that's some good tone there.

DW4LesPaul, d1m1 and judson like this.
  8. rockstar232007

rockstar232007 Senior Member

I've heard better. I was at a guitar show a few years ago, and saw two '59s being played, acoustically. Even from 10ft away, you'd have sworn they were plugged in - super loud, and resonant.

A lot of "dead" notes, and more than a few "choked" notes on the one in the vid. Frets probably haven't been touched in years?

Sixstring63 likes this.
  9. judson

judson Senior Member

it is important to me to have it feel and sound good unplugged...here is someone else who mentioned it withing the first 2 minutes...a great listen as always , i could watch this for hours...take the time to watch this if you never have, classic fire alarm blues

10. Nippon

Nippon Insert Kanji here... Premium Member

50's wood or fairy dust.

11. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

:laugh2: I agree. sounds soggy.

12. wildstage98

wildstage98 Senior Member

13. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

yep it has also to do with his picking style but take a standard, traditional or even most historics and pick like that. you´ll get a silent dull and short tone. this one is really loud, resonant and has sustain. just like almost all 50´s lp´s i had in my hands. you can hear it better when the cam comes on face with the guitar.

14. mono

mono Senior Member

I really can't understand the obsession with the idea of an electric guitar sounding good or bad, unplugged

These things are designed to be electronically amplified... I really only care what it sounds like in that state. New strings, good action and strum/picking technique will all contribute to the sound unplugged much more than 'good wood's

And for god's sake this is audio recorded ambiently and compressed for YouTube and played over tinny computer speakers!

kiko, SLOPO, derek1977 and 3 others like this.
  15. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

the electronics (pups, harness etc) are the heart of an electric guitar. the wood is the soul of it. you can hear the wood through the strings and therefore throught the electronics. simple as that. thats why e.g. an es335 sounds like a semiacoustic and a les paul like a solid body. they both have same electronics so theoretically the supposed to sound same. as gary moore said on the posted vid. a guitar sounds the same plugged in and unplugged (if the pups are good/transparent). the job of the electronics is to transmit the tone of the wood w/o coloring it.

16. PierM

PierM Premium Member

In this case that soul is rusted.

The Refugee likes this.
  17. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

hum makes sense. the wood is rusted.. maybe your ears are rusted? :D just kidding. its your opinion and thats good, but ok you wrote it already twice. thanks

Gem23 and DW4LesPaul like this.
  18. judson

judson Senior Member

i have played a few that sound great unplugged and sort of dead plugged in due to a pickup or electronics not to my liking

or sound like crap plugged in or not, then after a string change and a good setup to my liking they sound great amplified or not...

i dont know if there is an obsession, but it doesnt hurt if it sounds good unplugged to start and feels good to you.....

i learned to stay away from 3 topics here at MLP;
    a) tone wood
    b) string gauge
    c) and the most recent, pedals...:rofl:

:dunno:

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Thermionik, derek1977 and d1m1 like this.
  19. vintageguitarz

vintageguitarz Member

Wood and construction is EVERYTHING to how a guitar sounds Electronically. It's something Les Paul and Leo Fender studied and understood, inherited from the fine acoustic makers of Guitars, violins, cellos, basses and so on. Sure you can tell a lot about the wood and construction with it unplugged, though that ISN'T how it is intended to be played for optimum performance because the hardware and electronics (the PuPs, quality of the pots and caps/resistors then also become part of the equation.) His playing without being plugged in sounds crappy, mainly cause he's a crappy guitarist with terrible technique. Do like Slash, plug it in, crank the amp to 11 and that will hide all the crappy technique and style. The guitar though, is probably excellent. :p

d1m1, boola1 and Guitarman12 like this.
  20. Guitarman12

Guitarman12 Junior Member

Pickups you can change as you can caps and wiring. You can bet your house that guitar will sound the boss plugged in. I have been fortunate enough to have heard several bursts played un amplified (thanks to Bernie) and the good ones sound like this guitar. The guy in the video... isn't that the guy who owns the Kossoff Les Paul?

d1m1 and boola1 like this.