50's wiring with volume on 10?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by SlyStrat, Mar 2, 2018.

1. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Senior Member

Is there a difference in tone between modern and 50's wiring with volume on 10? Tone on 10 and rolled back?

2. charlie chitlins

charlie chitlins Senior Member

With volume on 10 and tone on 10, 50s wiring and modern sound the same.
    Same if you roll the tone off.
    I'm pretty sure the only difference occurs when you roll off the volume.
    Another thing I have noticed is, sometimes the taper of the pot seems to change from moving the tone cap from one lug to another.
    I don't know enough to explain why, but I've experienced it.

dc007 likes this.
  3. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

What he said. Also, if you're an "everything on 10 all the time" player, your caps aren't doing much of anything.

rockinlespaul and dc007 like this.
  4. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

Also IME 50's isn't going to be a big help if you are not a fan of the middle position.

In modern wiring I found that rolling either volume to near off kills the sound from both pickups. I use this position a lot.

50's wiring moves the pickup hot lead to the other leg of the volume pot and prevents this from happening.

All on 10, no difference as stated by all above.

Just tones, the same, no huge difference.

frozenotter likes this.
  5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ 50's wiring still has the interactive volumes. Its only the attachment of the tone circuit that changes (and makes the difference).
    Independent volume wiring is what you are talking about.

6. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

You're confusing "50's wiring" with "independent volumes wiring." What you're talking about is swapping the pickup and switch leads on the lugs. 50's wiring is swapping the cap legs to different volume pot lugs. Different results, entirely.

7. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

If so, it's minimal. ...but the moment you take the volume down even a hair, that completely changes. You start getting some interaction and the way the tone knob responds changes.

8. DarrellV

DarrellV About as sharp as a bowlin' ball! -NPM Silver Supporter Premium Member

Yeah, I left that out. I did swap the cap leads too so they followed the hot lead. Thanks for clarifying. This is new territory for me.

bulletproof likes this.
  9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ if the caps followed the pickup lead to the middle lug you have modern independent. 50's independant the cap lead is on the other outer lug.

DarrellV and bulletproof like this.
  10. alnico59

alnico59 Senior Member

IDK, to me 50's wiring with the tone on 10 always sounds brighter than modern wiring. It's something in the treble, almost like a high presence that I hear which makes it sort of sterile sounding. On all my guitars I have to turn the tone on the bridge down to at least 8 before I can hear any noticeable change. But in reality I prefer it down around 6-4.

As far as the volume knob being on 10, yeah I don't hear a difference between 50's and modern there.

11. bulletproof

bulletproof aka tarddoggy Premium Member V.I.P. Member

+1

12. Classicplayer

Classicplayer Senior Member

I have modern wiring in my 2000 Les Paul. After reading the various comments on the subject of modern vs. 50's, I'll keep to the modern. I know that with 50's style I'd have a wider variation in tone and volumes, but I like having the ability to reach a sweet spot very quickly without having to sort of “search” for it. I also kind of like the interplay when using modern; between the volume and tone controls.

Classicplayer

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018