50's Wiring with Push/Pull Coil Split

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by sirep, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Honestly, I would just wire up as in the latest pic I drew up, for middle position hum canceling when in split mode with the bridge slug active. It would require the following change:

the neck series link = Black/Green
    neck hot = Red
    neck neg = white

[​IMG]

One step at a time is the best way to learn ;) start with the standard and tweak from there if you feel the need

2. sirep

sirep Junior Member

Sounds good to me :)

As far as braided wire...could I twist the ground and the hot going from the output jack to the toggle switch and shrink tube them for cleanliness if I have stranded wire? Would this suffice?

3. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

You would need to twist a negative wire around the hot to get any shielding around the hot wire, perhaps you could use the Switch ground wire part of the way, but yes for a tidy set up it wont hurt to twist the hot wires together, just will not provide any protection unless a ground wire is present in the twist, braided wire is pretty cheap, i'd be tempted to grab 4 foot and get it done properly, but for kicks and practice try the single wires until the braided arrives, also you will get a good idea of what single coil mode your wanting, when you have your heart set on what you want, do it all in braided wire :)

4. sirep

sirep Junior Member

To make one more mod to the diagram - if I had both the ground and the hot from the output jack twisted all the way to the toggle switch, then a ground from the switch to a pot (two wires coming from the toggle switch ground - one to a pot and one to the jack) could that work? Maybe it would be easier not to cheap out and just buy the braided wire :hmm:

5. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

It would ;) Some of what I wrote back there was upside down, so I edited the posts, the diagram is spot on though, even my brain gets tied at times and sleep is minimal right now, last 2 nights I saw the sun rise LOL Too much cordial and new pedals to play with :)

6. sirep

sirep Junior Member

:) I appreciate everyone's help! Looks like I may be ordering some braid wire soon :thumb:

1 person likes this.
  7. sirep

sirep Junior Member

Mookakian - I noticed on your diagram the bridge push/pull switch is wired on the opposite side compared to the neck's push/pull. Does it make a difference to which side they are wired? I saw in the original Seymour Duncan diagram they are both wired on the same side (bottom side if you hold the guitar like you are playing it).

I was reading a little more into the pickup's design and had this question regarding the neck vs bridge pups - are the wire leads the same between the two pups? Will the slug coil leads always be red and green regardless if it's the neck or bridge pickup?

EDIT: I saw in your picture of the pickup dismantled that the adjustable coil is wired with red and green leads. Just to make it even more confusing :)

On that note, I saw on the neck pickup the adjustable (screw) coil is south, and the slug is north. On the bridge it is the same, except the slug coil (north) is on top. So holding the guitar with the headstock pointed upwards it has a South/North-North/South configuration. Wouldn't that mean I would need the slug coil in the bridge to be active when split effectively creating a humbucker, albeit one that is spaced apart?

If I do set it up to have the adjustable coil on the neck pup active when split, and the slug coil active on the bridge pup when split, will it change the phasing of the pups? Will everything be in phase in the middle toggle switch position?

It makes me wonder why the Seymour Duncan diagram wouldn't split the coils to be hum-canceling in the first place. When looking at the diagram Mookakian drew up there are minor differences between the two. They way the toggle switch is wired, the 50's mod, and the bridge tone pot switch being wired on the other side is all I noticed.

I'm still a little unclear as what the best approach is. The way Mookakian has it seems pretty close to the Seymour Duncan diagram which others said needed to be changed. Maybe I'm just thick-headed :)

Anyways, thanks again to Mookakian, David, and John!

Sorry to bombard with questions here (and write a novel)! Just trying to make mud a little clearer!!

8. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Questions are A ok, it does not matter what side you put the series link on the switching pot, whatever you think is easiest to wire.

DPDT On/On... means there are 2x rows of poles and each vertical row is able to switch from the bottom/middle lugs to the top/middle lugs, so you can use the left row of lugs or the right row of lugs, it will not matter.

Here is an article on switches that will help understand:

Part 1
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/guitar-wiring-explored-switches-part-1/

Part 2
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/tips-and-tricks/guitar-wiring-explored-switches-part-2/

Here is a very informative link to an article by SDuncan explaining the whole pickup coil deal very well, FYI on a neck pickup the North coil is the Slug Coil and the Black/White are the Start/Finish of the Neck Slug (North) coil, I like to spit to Bridge slug and Neck screw, which means Bridge Series wire is Red/White (black +/Green -) & Neck Series wire is Black/Green (Red +/White -)...this gives the sweet bridge single coil mode and hum canceling in the middle:

Guitar Wiring Explored – Humbucker Internals | Seymour Duncan Blog

http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/pickup-polarity-and-phase-made-simple/

Enjoy, great reading here ;)

9. sirep

sirep Junior Member

Funny, I was just reading those articles from Seymour Duncan when I got the notification of your reply :thumb:

So, in your diagram that I modded a view posts back (swapping red for black and white for green), that will have a hum canceling split and use the slug coil in the bridge pup?

I have some reading to do...:D

10. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

I edited the post above to explain the Slug Bridge/Screw Neck coil split situation, which is my fav when splitting coils ;) I also messed up and said the Neck Screw is the north coil on a neck bucker, it is the SLUG that is the north coil, got tongue twisted but I fixed it up so all info in the above post is correct ( I should proof read before I click save :/ ;)

Also a diagram for the modified coil split (Bridge Slug/Neck Screw with hum canceling) on Page 2 of this thread, call me a prick but I wanted you to know what was happening before I threw up the easy way out, so in future you will have a firm grip on what your doing ;)

11. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

Here is a Modified diagram o the standard method...this gives Bridge Slug/Neck Screw and will give hum canceling plus 50's style tone control

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

sirep likes this.
  12. sirep

sirep Junior Member

I won't call you a prick for trying to teach me something :) I really appreciate people taking their time and putting up with someone else's ignorance! :D

Really cool of you guys to provide the information and diagrams and suggestions. And yes, the easy way did help! :thumb:

13. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

For some reason I get satisfaction knowing you have the power to control any coil split situation, and I think you have a good understanding now, keep creating vibrations and you can return the effort with a little track some day ;) Who knows, maybe the next big sound will come from you!

Peace and good luck!

14. alsoty

alsoty Member

I've wired my LPJ on 2014, I followed this post to wire, it works and amazing!!

Now I need to change pots and upgrade caps, I forgot how to rewire, then I find this post just like what I found on 2014.

sirep likes this.
  15. sirep

sirep Junior Member

Glad this helped you out!