50's tribute, Standard or traditional

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by gambogi123, Jul 4, 2012.

1. gambogi123

gambogi123 Junior Member

Hello, it's my firs post here, hope Im not being an ass with this so subjective post.
    I live in brazil, and taxes here make it impossible to buy a Gibson for me, so I have a oportunity of a friend going to USA and bringing me a Les Paul next month, so I can not test the guitars side by side to decide myself.

Is the studio 50's tribute really good as they are saying? I played one in my local store and loved it! but its hard to tell when you play only for 30-50 minutes, with a not-that-loud amp. Im a strat man, and didnt got unconfortable with the 50's neck, but in a live situation, when i change from my strat to the Paul, will it be a problem? Would be better to get another guitar with 60's profile?

I can also get or the Traditional, or the Standard, that, depending on the colours, I found them at 1.800 dollars.

My question is, the 1000 aditional dollars on the standard or Traditional really worth it over the 50's tribute? I have no intention of becoming a professional musician, but have been playing often, on medium sized gigs at the best pubs and nightclubs of my city, so Im looking for a gear improvement, that is really reliable and can stand some rough time.

I have no idea of when I will get another chance of someone bringing me from USA, so it will be my main guitar for a long time.

Thank you!

2. bufbills

bufbills Senior Member

Sounds like you liked the tribute. The additional $1000 will get you a nice finish and binding. I say play some more. As many as you can until you find the one that you dont want to put down. The tributes are a great value, and could easily do what youre asking of a guitar.

3. Shawn Lutz

Shawn Lutz Senior Member

Standard for new switching/push/pull pots or Traditional Plus if you want a 50's neck whichever one you prefer.

I personally think a LP without binding looks naked. I do like some of the Studios that have the maple cap edge unfinished so it looks like natural binding, those are sweet but would be sweeter with a bound neck ;)

3 people like this.
  4. Del Rei

Del Rei Member

Cara, sou do Brasil também.
    Tenho uma Traditional 1960 Zebra, aquele modelo exclusivo da Sam Ash.

Posso te dizer que é um guitarrão, sem a menor dúvida.
    Na verdade, quando fui comprar, eu nem conhecia este modelo. Fui pensando em comprar a Tribute 50's com humbucker, mas não tinha a cor que eu queria. Dei uma tocada rápida na cor disponível, mas acabei não levando. Isso foi na Guitar Center.

No outro dia fui na Sam Ash e vi essa Traditional Zebra. Cara, pode ter sido questão de regulagem, e tal... Mas eu achei a Traditional bem mais confortável pra tocar do que a Tribute.

Eu achei que valeu cada centavo que paguei.

Abraços.

5. gambogi123

gambogi123 Junior Member

Thank you for the comment!

Its relevant to say, it was the first time I really got a gibson Les Paul on my lap to play with intention to buy. Never did the same with a Standard, and I have not Standards on the store here. About playability, the standard has a better neck?
    The binding is only cosmetic, or It helps against bumps on the borders of the guitar?

thanks!

6. gambogi123

gambogi123 Junior Member

7. gambogi123

gambogi123 Junior Member

Opa! Bom ver brasileiro por aqui! Quanto custou esse modelo da Traditional na Sam ash? Você acha que os 1000 dolares a mais valem? Pelo que eu vi, essa 1960 só tem na cor preta?
    Outra pergunta, na parte logistica, você trouxe essa guitarra com você pro Brasil? Se sim ,como foi passar pela alfandega? Teve que declarar, etc?
    Valeu!

8. bufbills

bufbills Senior Member

I agree about binding on the neck. That would be a nice look on a studio.:thumb: The 70s tribs would look great like that.

9. framos

framos Senior Member

Olá!!!

I have both guitars (actually sold my 50's trib a couple of weeks ago). I just have one thing to say: go for the Trad. Não tem nem comparação meu camarada!!.

Cheers!

10. LesterNtele

LesterNtele Senior Member

I vote traditional. The 50's Tribut is fine. In a Les Paul shootout, it was about a draw tone-wise with the Traditional.
    I had one, but at some point, you want the feel of the real deal in your hands. The chunk of mahoghany and thick maple cap with a nice finish....only the real thing would do. I sold mine after 1 month for the Trad.
    You can buy from Sam Ash or MF direct over the phone. They have Traditional models for just under $1600. I got mine 12 months same as cash. It showed up set up perfectly with no flaws. Sounds like a dream and plays likke butter.
    So good I bought another one. I got the coil tappable P90 LP. I think the tone surpasses the Classic 57 model overall. Once again...$1600 12 months same as cash.

If money is a real issue and/or you will be gigging with it and are worried about theft or road rash go for the Tribute. Its a great deal.

11. dvir

dvir Senior Member

i am a little bit biased, i have a trad, i like it more then my previous studio in wine red, i think that if you really like the look of a les paul with binding pay the extra money, i don't quiet sure that i love my trad more then the studio because its more comfy, but in my head i always wanted that real "standard" which was missing. i do really love those 50s necks very much, i tried a R7, R8 and 2008 standard and the trad really is a good choice.

12. CapeRR

CapeRR Senior Member

Some people would spend double the money to get binding, coil tapping, a few "bells and whistles" etc.....I'm not one of them. The 50s Tribute would suit me fine and they are the real deal so don't worry about that.

13. Lipinhu

Lipinhu Senior Member

I had a studio Faded Cherry, very similar characteristics. I though it was a striped down version of the standards or tratidionals. I bought a Trad Pro... Theres a world between them, you can't compare, and those who are saying the opposite, they're selling what they have. The tributes are good value for money guitars, but when you play a trad your fingertips will tell you to open up your wallet.

I'm getting another Trad next week, hopefully.

1 person likes this.
  14. dvir

dvir Senior Member

no there's a lot of people saying that the studio is very good while they also have a trad, just like me.

15. Lipinhu

Lipinhu Senior Member

Have you read and understood what I wrote? Have I said they were bad geetars
    ? hum?

Once again, my first Les Paul was a Cherry Red Studio Faded, a year later a Trad Pro. Sold the studio...

If I have to suggest something here, it's the trad. Simple!

16. CapeRR

CapeRR Senior Member

You mad bro?

17. Lipinhu

Lipinhu Senior Member

F*ck no!:thumb:

Sorry if it seemed like, but actually no, i'm not.:fingersx:

18. CapeRR

CapeRR Senior Member

Hah cool :dude:

19. gsocarvalho

gsocarvalho Junior Member

Como qualquer instrumento, TOQUE. Se sentir confortável, é o que te serve. Em qualquer caso, você terá uma excelente guitarra!
    Saudações do RJ.

Like any musical instrument, PLAY IT. If you feel confortable, that's the one. Anyway, you'll purchase an excellent guitar!
    Greetings from Rio de Janeiro.

20. Ouchz

Ouchz Senior Member

I'm assuming that you are refering to the 50's tribute humbucker model.

I am also trying to decide which Gibby/MIJ to be my first Les Paul. I've went down to the store and try about all the Gibsons I could find.

Tribute:
    Generally, more consistent, I've tried 3 different colours. First, it is very light due to the chambered body and is very resonant. Second, the 50s rounded neck feels the best to me even though my hands are not big. There are minor cosmetic issue, for example nut not being cut properly (ony 1 guitar I tried suffered from this). Colour bleed onto the edge of the nut and fretboard. Also it is considerably brighter in sound. Has one of the most beautiful clean sounds, almost strat like. Great blues tone with light to mid overdrive. However, it may lack bottom end, lower mids and growl. Not ideal if you're playing rock and heavier stuff.

Standard:
    I've tried 3 different standard models. Two of the 2008 models and the latest 2012 model. Firstly, they are heavier than the tribute. Secondly, the neck feels alittle weird to me probably due to the assymetrical profile.

The 2008 was quite disappointing as it was chambered and not as resonant as the tribute. The neutrik jack is also inconvenient. Sound wise, it sounded ok. Fretboard was pretty dry.

The 2012 model has an insane top. Very lovely :wow:. Sounded quite balance, feels solid. Not as resonant as the tribute. Sounds more raw. Tone wise is slightly more focus than the tribute. However, the high gain tones are abit trebly. Somehow it lacks the lower mids and growl that I was looking for. The neck didn't work for me though.

Traditional:
    I managed to try a traditional 1960 model *sam-ash exclusive*. It has a slimmer neck and it is the heaviest of the lot. Sound wise, very balance and round. However, the cleans are not as bright and nice. Has better bottom end but may lack the lower mids.

Overall:
    For the money, I am seriously tempted to get the tribute 50's. The neck feels just right for me and the body is comparably lighter. However, it may not be a good choice for heavy music.:D