`50's P90 Magnet for PAFS?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by peach64, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Just FYI, I dug out ALL my vintage magnet bucker mag collection last nite and all my notes on every PAF I've dissected/restored/adored ;-) Took a photo and then decided not to give anymore clues at the advice on a PM here on the MLP ;-) But, not EVERY PAF had fat magnets, maybe 30%, even early TTops had some, and Tim Shaw when he "copied" PAF magnets made them the fat dimension, but short length. And there were skinny magnets too, how come no one mentions that? ;-) look and make sure you SEE ;-) digital calipers and micrometers are essential gear. Left brain techniques, right brain puts it all together, whole brain thinking ;-)

I'm going to be doing a blind audio test on YouTube this weekend. I noticed on one YouTube comment some guy who never bothered reading the text in the video he was hating on, said none of the clips sounded like PAF's at all, including the real PAF's ;-) I recently sent some audio comparison clips to a customer friend who said he heard the differences I pointed out, but then the next day he couldn't hear any differences, and if he wasn't reading the video text he couldn't tell which was which. Therein lies the problem of "this pickup is a vintage $2000 antique" and this one is a "clone." Right away your mind makes a judgement even before you heard the thing. Blind audio comparisons take some of that mush out of the equation. It won't be posted here, go find my YouTube channel, subscribe and they'll tell you when its posted.

2. VonPrikler

VonPrikler Senior Member

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I thought it was right on point.

Now I am in no way a PAF magnet expert, but here are photos of two magnets I can assure you came from an early 1958 P90. I tried to take as accurate measurements as possible. I just thought it might be a good reference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.