$50 1979 Ibanez Artist

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by HEADKNOCKER, Jun 9, 2017.

1. HEADKNOCKER

HEADKNOCKER Senior Member

Well guys yesterday my youngest son walked in with a brown guitar case after being out at the peddler's mall/salvation army & would you believe he had a J79 marked all black Ibanez Artist double cut..
    The guitar has been painted black with spray paint just about all over = Pickups, fretboard, hardware etc., The guitar sounds OK but there is paint all over it?? It's been destringed & left on my bench downstairs for a teardown & complete sanding.. I will get around to getting the wiring out start trying to get all that black spray paint off.. I'll get a few pics of it & the case later on today..
    I do believe that my son came across a diamond in the rough & of course also a huge PITA for me..
    Now to get some acetone to soak the hardware in = bridge, tuners etc.
    I'm not exactly sure which model it is? It has dot inlays, no binding but is a Double cut Ibanez Artist..
    I figure the case is worth $50 & could even hold a Les Paul too..
    It looks kinda like this 79 AR-50 with black knobs..
    [​IMG]
    Need to look into exactly how to date this model & get a feel for what I'm in for..

Gary/Hk

Pictures are up now on page 2 of the thread..
    I posted them yesterday morning & it doesn't seem anyone has even seen them BUT yesterday was Father's Day.. Enjoy & ROCK ON!! Smooth Jazz here---->> Yeah!!
    Gary/Headknocker

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  2. endial

endial Senior Member

Cool!
    If the fretboard has spraypaint on it, I'd be more inclined to use a razor blade to scrape it off rather than sand. Check a couple youtubes for scraping fretboards.

HEADKNOCKER and Brians Evil Twin like this.
  3. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Yeah, scrape the board and steel wool the frets.

The spray paint might be able to be removed without stripping the original finish, but it will depend on what kind of paint it was, how thick, etc.

Best to test in an inconspicuous spot...

HEADKNOCKER, kevinpaul and SteveGangi like this.
  4. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

I what your son found was an AR-50 that been camouflaged, then you got a REALLY good guitar in the rough.

I found an 1980 Ibanez Artist AR-50 a couple of years ago in a pawnshop for $325 in very good condition with the original Super 70 pickups.

I would think even if the guitar is still in a little rough shape after you get it all cleaned up, you still have a guitar that could be worth $250- $400.

Congrats on the score.

Here's a pic of my '80 Ibanez Artist AR-50:

[​IMG]

5. HEADKNOCKER

Yeah I already started scraping the fretboard some = What a MESS!!

6. lemmy loud

lemmy loud Senior Member

I always wondered why these Ibanez's werent more popular. In this configuration, this is a
    totally badass guitar!! I think a few 80's people played them, but they never really took off.
    Cant imagine why not . . . I had a "lawsuit" LP copy from Ibanez, and sorry, hate to be the
    debby downer, but it was not all people say it is now. I also had a Custom at the same time,
    and the Ibanez was nowhere near the Gibson in any catagory 'cept maybe(?) finish.
    This one(above) seems more like the real thing for LP players.

HEADKNOCKER likes this.
  7. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

I'd try mineral spirits before sanding the paint on the rest of it. Probably poly under it, so almost anything you use to strip won't hurt the original finish. Figure out what you have before you get rough with it.
    Could be any of many models from that time.
    Best of luck!

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Senior Member

Those old ARs are badass. Congrats on the score, and put up some pics of your progress!

HEADKNOCKER and endial like this.
  9. Hidden_Income

Hidden_Income Premium Member

The Super 70 pick-ups alone are some solid change. In fact, it is sort of funny - the AR100 at that time came with the very hot V-2 pick-ups, the down model, AR-50, came with the Super 70s, which are very sought after and popular.

HEADKNOCKER and kevinpaul like this.
  10. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Senior Member

I didn't know that.

The Super 70's are some amazing sounding pickups.

I'm very impressed with how well the stack up with some of the best HB's in my guitar collection.

HEADKNOCKER and kevinpaul like this.
  11. VanR

VanR Senior Member

My AR200 Made In Korea. Not sure what year,
    [​IMG]

HEADKNOCKER likes this.
  12. HEADKNOCKER

Still working at getting some of that enamel off the Ibanez, It does melt off with acetone & elbow grease = I removed the tuners & truss rod cover & started getting that gooey paint off the headstock..
    I might go pick up some mineral spirits to soak the tuners, bridge, tailpiece in..
    I 've got about half the fretboard scraped which with patience & a fresh razor that been scraped across my vise face = sharp bur scraper.. Need to find my digi camera to get some pics up..
    I'll note that our Ibanez doesn't have an inlay on the headstock face & the picture above has Gibsony style bridge parts etc. I would ASSuME that the first two numbers of the serial would be the year & the letter before tells which factory the guitar came from.. Ours starts with J79*****

Thumpalumpacus and endial like this.
  13. guidothepimmp

guidothepimmp Senior Member

sounds like an awesome project

score. would love to see some pics

HEADKNOCKER likes this.
  14. endial

endial Senior Member

Go find that dang camera!

And let the acetone sit on the paint for a couple seconds. Give it some time to do the work (or bust out the heat gun) before you wipe it away.

-Did I mention the camera?

Thumpalumpacus, HEADKNOCKER and Who like this.
  15. Guitaraxe

Guitaraxe Senior Member

Score!

HEADKNOCKER likes this.
  16. Brians Evil Twin

Brians Evil Twin Poophoria Sōtō Zen V.I.P. Member

Vintage Ibanez Artist thread! Here be my one!

[​IMG]

(AR-700)

17. Hidden_Income

Hidden_Income Premium Member

I believe the fist letter in the serial number = month of manufacture. Your "J" would be October. (i.e., an "A" = January)

In some cases they did not have the inlay on head stock, even though it is not common, it has never been shown to be an option or something special.

here is the catalog and spec sheet for the AR50 and AR100:
    [​IMG]

Malikon and HEADKNOCKER like this.
  18. HEADKNOCKER

It's coming along.. me & my son now have the fretboard about 95% clean via scraping with a razor..
    Still not sure what to do about those super 70s pickups that have been spray painted??
    The pickup rings are just a mess & coated with lots of paint & might clean up? Or replace with some gibson style ones & just drill two new adjustment screws in each?
    I bought a gallon of mineral spirits yesterday but haven't gotten around to the guitar just yet today..
    Still can't put my hands on my digi camera?? Unsure who/when it got used last..
    More to come as this guitar will live again & will outlast me..
    Gary/Hk

Thumpalumpacus and kevinpaul like this.
  19. kevinpaul

kevinpaul Premium Member

They are really great guitars, your son has a really good eye. I wanted one a few years ago and had a hard time of it. My friend loan me his and he borrowed and kept an antique parlor guitar. I returned the Ibanez. I should have just kept it, It's not really stealing cause a double robbery voids out any crimes. The four years I had it were great, those guitars are perfect for any situation. Now I want to borrow it back with evil intentions.

HEADKNOCKER and DarrellV like this.
  20. rabidhamster

rabidhamster Senior Member

If the case is original it alone is worth nearly double that. That guitar is about a 77 give or take a few years. Check in the cavity to see what wood it is, probably ash

HEADKNOCKER likes this.