4th generation noiseless pickups

Discussion in 'Fender' started by MichaelAndrew3435, Jun 30, 2017.

1. MichaelAndrew3435

MichaelAndrew3435 Premium Member

I see that they're on the Fender Elite series Stratocaster and Telecaster. Anyone have any experience with them, or the Elite models? How do they compare with older noiseless pickups?

2. Crotch

Crotch Delete My Account Entirely Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

I've played a handful of elites. I can't tell the difference on them at all. Supposedly they are more "vintage" sounding and less sterile sounding which is a complaint on the 3's. I don't have a problem with any sterile sounds out of the N3's I have played. Still a stacked pickup design.

MichaelAndrew3435 and DarrellV like this.
  3. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

I have a pair on my Deluxe Roadhouse, also have another Deluxe Roadhouse with CS Texas Specials. N$s are dead on noiseless. Are they QUITE as open as the TS? No, but, I play the strat with the N4s most of the time over the other. That should tell you something.

MichaelAndrew3435 likes this.
  4. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Disclaimer:
    No doubt you have played more of them through better stuff than I will ever own, so it is very possible that its just me. :doh:

I've also taken into account that Fender must have done the research and QC on this design before they put it out there...

So.... YMMV

I found this to be true with the N3's I had in my American Deluxe. Just changed them out for 57/63's (no reason, they were available cheaper than new).

The difference in sound is very noticeable to me. I like the vintage style chime of the in between settings, some don't.

It has the S-1 switching in it as well. I had it put in years ago trying to get some soul out of those N3's.
    Not a raging success. So I gave that guitar to a friend to play a while back. Hated the sound of it.

Now the S-1 makes that guitar come alive!
    Very rich and fluid sounding on some of the S-1 settings. Out of phase settings are very noticeable to the point they are almost unusable for what I do. YMMV.

Point is you can HEAR a difference in ALL switch positions now. That was not the case before.
    And the tones are very sweet and usable. IMHO.

Crotch likes this.
  5. Crotch

I don't doubt what you're saying at all man. I must have gotten lucky with the deluxe I had and my buddies deluxe (2010-ish I think) I never had the sterile sound problem. I love the S-1. My buddy hated his.

6. DarrellV

DarrellV Likes > Posts Silver Supporter Premium Member

Yup, just goes to show!

Mine is a late 90,s I think.... Not sure. So they may have improved the design along the way too.
    I had the S-1 put in because I had the money and like a palette of tones so why not.

IIRC at the time the guys there told me it wasn't really designed for the Noiseless pickups, but they figured it couldn't be all that different so we tried it anyway.

But it really is THAT different now! Even buzzes a little in some positions (no longer noiseless..)

Just wanted you to know that far be it from me to dispute the Crotch on things Fender related! :cheers2:

Crotch likes this.
  7. Crotch

Nah, I'm no expert. Trust me. I'd still take my Lace Holy Grails over any single coil Strat Pickup any day of the week. I really can't say enough about them.