4CM (4 cable method) question

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by Rhust, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I know the 4CM method is TYPICALLY used for running effects only...

but can something like the Helix "turn off" output that is going to the front of the amp, and bypass the preamp "on the fly"?

that may not make sense...
    let me give you an example..

assume 4CM is being used, and cab IR is turned off in both scenarios
    patch 1 uses the amp front end, and has no amps in the patch of the model... only effects are in use
    patch 2 turns off the "send" from the amp, and the output going to the front of the guitar amp, and JUST uses the effects return on the guitar amp to create power to the guitar cab...

can these be switched back and forth? sort of a hybrid system... or am I dreaming?

AmpedUp likes this.
  2. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Senior Member

Sure! Easily done.

The Helix's versatile Signal Chain Routing allows you to configure the available FX Send and Return blocks as you need them. The Helix Floor has Four (4). The Helix LT has Two (2)

The Helix has Eight (8) Snapshots per Preset. Each Snapshot can Activate or Bypass or change the Parameter Values of any of the Blocks defined in the Preset. This is all instantaneously switchable via the Helix's footswitch controllers. And, a single footswitch can be assigned to control multiple parameters (8 IIRC). Thus, by pressing one footswitch you could disable the IR Block, Bypass an FX Send and an FX Return, and change the parameter values of several additional Blocks in Helix's Signal Chain.

AmpedUp and Rhust like this.
  3. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

holy crap that is cool. forgive me, I'm slow... when I thought about that last night I thought "surely that won't work, I've always heard you could either use effects only in the 4CM, or re wire it to go into the effects return (to bypass the amp's pre-amp)

I have an LT coming. and I'm super stoked.

AmpedUp likes this.
  4. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

So cool, also Rhust, for example, you can even use your tube amps preamp section in 4CM (bypassing the Helix preamps) and send it through the cab sims of the Helix and record that on either the DI / 1/4" out through your mixer or a Scarlett 2I4 for example, or through USB from the Helix into your computers DAW! So many connection abilities!!! Not sure about the Helix LT if it has the built in sound card or not for pushing sound out of USB? The full Helix does as well as the HD500X.

5. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

the helix LT does push sound from the USB
    FWIW, my 6505mh does that, and has DI out too :D

at church I go cab-less... DI out to mixer for FOH and monitors.

I've said many times though, my 6505's clean channel just sucks. the amp was mean to be played on the crunch channel, with the gain on about '8'.. instant metallica/thrash. the lead channel is also stellar, insanely loud, and sludge/doom (in my opinion) the clean shares the gain knob with the crunch channel, so when you set the clean on 7-8 for your crunch channel, you are deep into classic rock territory... if you even crack the gain to 2 on the clean channel, you are getting some decent break up... more than you could call "clean"... plus, the way the amp is set up... if you swap the V1 tube you can get a cleaner sound... but it castrates the other 2 channels... so frustrating

so anyway, this revelation lets me use the tube crunch channel if I want to, and then turn it off for glorious cleans, or something completely different

now, here's the thing... there is a 5150 amp in the helix. if that crunch is equal or better, then I'll move the 6505mh down the line... I already ordered a powered PA speaker that will be here friday.

AmpedUp likes this.
  6. AmpedUp

AmpedUp Senior Member

That's great. I see where your mindset is taking you now. You jumped in quick with the PA speaker too!

Rhust likes this.
  7. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

I returned the studio monitors before I even opened them... they had the wrong inputs so I just decided to do it "right"

AmpedUp likes this.