498T/490R pickups?????

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by richedie, Apr 13, 2008.

1. knucklebut

knucklebut Member

I think a whole lot of people need to learn how to use the knobs on their amps and guitars...I have had every PU mentioned here and ...all sound great if used correctly....learn how to draw the tone from yer hands....when I was young I was POOR...my amp was no amp...to POOR...I propped my headstock.up agonist the 60's paneling that was on the wall....bang sound..now that I am old..I have everything I ever wanted in equipment..point is....learn how to control yer guitar.....I used to wire old stereo blasters as git amps...take the wires off the cassette head...wire a 1/4" RCA.....their was my tone...just sayin........oh this was pre personal computers and software...that fools everybody into thinking the are recording engineers.....NEVER learning how to use real equipment.."sad really...ok so my diatribe is over.....peace...lol

2. Victory Pete

Victory Pete Member

I used to lean my headstock against a lampshade. Now I don't have to!

3. wolfpack

wolfpack Member

What's a wall ?

4. Victory Pete

Victory Pete Member

Wall of sound.

5. entresz

entresz Senior Member

The 498T is a pretty good bridge pickup, sounds good coil split since the output is fairly high.

The 490R is too muddy to work well with the 498T, however a magnet swap would improve it greatly.

6. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Well, I have a different story here.

The only pups I didn't change are the 498T & 490R of my '93 LP and the p90's on my SG.
    They just sound amazing in my particulars guitars. Not me saying that but friends that keeps asking me to borrow the LP for gig's anr recording. (yeah, call me crazy to do that!)

In the other hand, I changed the pups of my US standard Stratocaster to be able to obtain "that real" Strat sound.

So, 498T/490R???? Yes all the way for me.:dude:

But I am sure that with certain other LP they might not sound as good. That's the thing with LPs, they are all different.

7. drguitar

drguitar Junior Member

I have these in my LPS...I did the 59 wiring mod recently which fixes the treble roll off...

As for tone I like the 490/498t fine...I do think the gibson 57 classics sound more like the classic rock records I grew up with...I wouldn't mind getting them..or maybe a SD aftermarket such as the SH 55.

8. donnycraven

donnycraven Senior Member

I had 498T 490R in both my 98 Standard and my 99 Custom. I also got a set in a 2010 Studio Deluxe silver burst I had a while. I always thought they were great and wondered why Gibson stopped using them. Its cheaper to buy Seymour Duncans though and I like them as good, probably better.

9. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Senior Member

I like them - a lot.

I too had them in my SG Studio for many years, until i swapped them out with a Duncan A2P set.

I still have them, ready for another guitar :dude:

10. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

old thread....7 years ago.....

11. barking

barking Member

anyone use a 490 t? i use a dimarzio super d in the bridge position with a 490 r in the neck. good pairing. i would like to try a 490 t though. anyone got one they wanna part with ? the guitar is a 93 lp standard with an ebony fretboard.

12. Gary

Gary Senior Member

I have a Gibson LP Special with a 490R/490T set. They compliment each other nicely. It is a nice balance.

13. donnycraven

The 490r was just a 57 Classic and the 490t was the 57 Classic plus. The only thing that changed was the engraved baseplate. Oh and the "t" spacing on the bridge pickup same as the 498 and 500.

1 person likes this.
  14. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Sorry to get personal, but you have absolutly NO IDEA what you're saying here.

Please, refrain to make blank statements with no hold in reality whatsoever.

1 person likes this.
  15. donnycraven

I know exactly what I'm talking about. I have owned to many to count of these Gibson pickups and I really love taking them apart. The 57 classic does not even have rough cast magnets the burstbucker does though. If you think I'm wrong then start taking apart a few sets of 57 classics and a few 490r 490t sets and compare. The only difference is a water slide decal and a stamped logo base plates.

But since I have no hold on reality maybe you know more than me. I'm ok with that too. ;)

1 person likes this.
  16. garybaldy

garybaldy Senior Member

Ditto my 2013 SGJ

17. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I know enough to say that if it's true you took apart any the p'ups you named, your whole process of analyzing p'ups is faulty at the very root.

HTH,

2 people like this.
  18. donnycraven

Okay Thanks :slash:

I might throw in here that after attempts to make those pickups rock I threw them away and got the real deal. Duncan 59s and Jazz JB sets.

Keep Rockin Brotha.

19. skindley

skindley Premium Member

I think there are more differences than just base plates and logos. How about some published specs.

490R & 490T

[​IMG]

'57 Classic & Classic Plus

[​IMG]

20. donnycraven

Lol same pickups.