498T/490R pickups?????

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by richedie, Apr 13, 2008.

1. richedie

richedie Senior Member

Any fans of these pickups???

I have them in a 1994 LP and am wondering what you all think? For 13k they seem real hot and thick, very tight. Just wish they responded better to volume roll off.

Rich

2. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

I'm thinking a pot change would fix that for you.

I don't have any 498's, but I've got 490's in 3 different guitars, I just love them. 490r's make fantastic bridge pickups in a Strat! I've got a 490T paired with a P-90 in my Tele-gib, great combo! Lot's of guys don't like them, but I really love these pickups!

Mindfrigg likes this.
  3. FennRx

FennRx Senior Member

i have them in my SG and my LP Studio. I like them, I think they're pretty versatile- can handle more aggressive gain but still sound good clean or crunchy.

4. richedie

richedie Senior Member

I am going to have Wolfetone rewind these and I hope I don't miss something about the stock tones, LOL. I do wish they were four conductor for splitting.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U Senior Member

I have 498T and the 490R in my Double Cut standard.

I love the 498t, it's a great Rock & roll and blues PU. It can do the metal thing too.

The 490R is just too dark, muddy and undefined for me. The only experience with this pu is the one in my DC. But, I cannot really find anything I like about mine. I am going to change out the stock Volume pot and see if this makes a difference. If it doesn't, out comes the 490R. I am tired of messing with it.

I had a guitar with a Duncan 59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge. I loved this combination. I am leaning heavily towards putting a 59 or something similar in the neck of my DC standard.

I have even thought about putting a 496R in the neck to see how that works.
    I had a SG with a 500T and I liked it for hard stuff and metal but damn was it hard to control. It was one hot mother. I don't know if the 496 would be just like it or not. The 500T is a one trick pony for sure.

To sum it up, 498 yes, 490 no.

6. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

I have them in my custom and the volume roll off is actually pretty tapered I was worried after what i was hearing about gibson pots. They have a very gradual change. I bet changing post to some CTS hammer pots would help. contact BCR Greg he has the goods.

7. richedie

richedie Senior Member

Blues4, replace the 490R alnico II magnet with an Alnico V! Problem solved, also install a 500k volume pot.

decoy, I think I still have in my head what a good friend said and I think it is subconsciously affecting my judgement. He had a new LP Studio and said the 498T was a one trick pony so he installed a Dimarzio air zone and said it opened up. Personally, I find I can do a variety with the 498T, using a standard 500k CTS pot and treble retention kit.
    Often also hear the 498T is thin, but I don't find that to be the case.

I can't use the Hamer pots because I still have the plate in the guitar.

8. Blues4U

Blues4U Senior Member

Richedie,

I hate to sound completely ignorant but, where would I get an Alnico V magnet to replace the alnico II magnet?

I have never dis-assembled a humbucker. Mine still have the covers on them. I don't have a problem experimenting with my 490 because I hate it. If an Alnico V will brighten it up, I'm all for it.

9. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

Funny. I'd say just the opposite. There are many pickups out there, IMO that will outperform the 498T. It doen't do anything great IMO. It's too hot to be vintage and doesn't do modern very well either. The 490R however is a nice, warm, round, chimey, neck pickup that I could recommend for anyone looking for a versatile neck pickup with a somewhat vintage vibe.

Goes to show ya that we all need to make up our own minds...

10. BobbyK

BobbyK Senior Member

how hot are they?
    I haven't been able to find any readings on the gibson site, or any others... and I don't have a multimeter at hand.

13k sounds high to me, but I don't know too much about that stuff.

11. Scooter2112

Scooter2112 Senior Member

Sometimes it depends on how you EQ the amp.

I usually eq the amp on the bridge pickup, so when I switch to neck it's a little dark and muddy.

To get around that, I use a Boss GE-7 EQ in the loop and dial that in on the neck pickup to tighten it up. I run the GE-7 off when I'm on the bridge and on when I'm on the neck. It's kind of a band-aid approach, but it works and acts as a preset to save any fiddling around on the changeover.

12. mix

mix Member

I have them in my studio and I can't say I like them. They're versatile for sure but the neck sounds muddy and the bridge is too hot for my tastes and like others said it doesn't clean up well.

13. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I prefer to set my e.q. so that both pickups sound acceptable without a "bandaid". No doubt, to set the 498t so it is eq'd the way I would want it to sound, the neck would be dull and muddy. The 498t is a bright pickup. Much brighter than it needs to be and even eq'd correctly, I found it to lack a lot of articulation and definition.

But eq'd properly, the 490R is a sweet sounding neck pickup and IMO, the best of the two without any question.

And when I checked it, 13k was about right for the resistance of the 498.

SmokestackElRopo and astrokarmas like this.
  14. plexipaul

plexipaul Senior Member

I have the 490R in the Epi LP`s bridgepocket. Sometimes it`s so simple to find the right tone. It does a really great job there. I have it paired with a Seth Lover which makes a great combi.

15. TurboSi

TurboSi Member

I wouldn't mind some tips on setting the Eq as I have trouble with my 490R on my Studio, always sounds muddy.

I'm using a Vox ADVT30 amp, only got the amp a few weeks ago and have turned the power down to around the 9:00 oclock position on the back so maybe its not been driven hard enough??

Cheers in advance

Si :jam:

16. hbucker

hbucker Senior Member

I'm sorry, I don't have any specific advice. I just start playing with the eq and other settings until I like what I'm getting. In this case, leave it on the neck pickup and set it where it sounds good. No doubt this would be too bright for the 498t. But that's kind of the curse of this set. You can't set one the way you want it and expect the other to sound right.

Of course there is always the tone knob on your guitar. That can compensate a lot for the bright 498...

Good luck.

astrokarmas likes this.
  17. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Junior Member

I know this is an old post, but I'd thought I'd pass on some advice I've gotten about the 490R/498T PU combo.

I've got those in a '92 SG Standard, and have never been happy with them. The first thing to do is make sure you change the pots to all 500k Audio taper CTS. Mine came with CTS, but the newer Gibsons come with crappy CGE pots (the ones that say "Gibson" on them). Gibson also puts 300k Linear taper for volumes, which are going to be darker sounding than 500k, and IMO the linear taper sucks.

The next thing is adjusting the pickups. On the bridge 498, screw the polepieces down flush or lower to the pickup covers, you can radius the heights of the poles if you want, and raise the pickup to whatever height sounds best to you. On the neck 490, lower the pickup and raise the polepieces up till it matches in level with the bridge. This will make the neck pickup less muddy. It's a balancing act.

I've done the pickup adjustments, but I'm just now getting ready to change the pots. Supposedly, doing both of these things will get the optimum sound out of those pickups.

Al

18. Blues4U

Blues4U Senior Member

zombiwoof,

I have messed around with the neck pu (490r) on my dc standard of late and I have found some light at the end of the tunnel. I have found exactly what you and hbucker have described. if you dial either of the pu's in to a particular setting, the other either sounds too bright or too dark.

My double cut standard on has 1 volume and 1 tone control. I am seriously considering adding a tone control to this guitar to help with the problem many others as well as myself have described.

This will be a tedious mod because the dc doesn't have a standard control cavity route. It is substantially smaller than a standard Les Paul. It is going to be pretty tight in there if I ad another tone pot.

I adjusted the pole pieces on both pu's to where they sound best. I have eq'd the amp and pedals to where the 490 sounds good and this does make the 498 very bright. I have been rolling the tone back on the 498 and I am liking the 2 pu's a little better together now.

I think having the additional tone pot will be a great solution if I can make it fit.

I'll let you all know how that goes. I won't be tackling that mod for a few months as I am pretty busy and I have a strat in pieces right now.

I am going to completely gut the guitar regardless. It needs new 500k pots and I am going to shit can the liniar taper pot for sure.

19. SoylentGreenIsPeople

SoylentGreenIsPeople Senior Member

Had them in a couple of LP Studios. Not really a fan of either. The 490R is passable, but the 498Ts were too weak and muddy for my heavy metal needs.

20. 77custom

77custom Senior Member

Has anybody tried to swap the A2 from the 490 to the 498 and the A5 from the 498 to the 490? Wouldn't the A5 brighten up the 490, A2 warm the 498?

Just a thought.