4 Channel High Gain Head

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by HCRoadie, Sep 8, 2017.

Which 4 channel head

1. Blackstar's Series One 1046L6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Marshal JVM 410

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Egnater Tourmaster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Sage advice all, ditto.

2. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

Thank you all for the great advise and tips. It seems that Marshall is getting the majority of the votes. I played the JVM and liked the flexibility of it, and it seemed that with a bit of tweaking I can get "my sounds" out of it. On the negative side, it felt "cheaply" made by Marshall standards. The pots did not have a great feel, and it took big moves on them to get significant changes in sound. With high gain, about 70% on the hottest channel, it started getting fizzy. The MIDS seemed as if the center frequency was at an odd spot. But I can use the EQ on the NOVA to get around that. It was also very noisy.
    As for my choice to move away from pedals; I want to use the NOVA to switch amp channels AND effects with one stomp. Example: Starting on clean with Delay, Plate verb, chorus, heavy compression, and a unique EQ----then switch to heavy crunch with verb, mild compression, a hint of octave down, and a different EQ. The NOVA can do this very well. I know that I can "kind of" do this if I used and FX looper and a bunch of MIDI pedals, but that gets too cumbersome. Also, very few dirt pedals speak to me.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017