4 Channel High Gain Head

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by HCRoadie, Sep 8, 2017.

Which 4 channel head

1. Blackstar's Series One 1046L6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Marshal JVM 410

10 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Egnater Tourmaster

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

I am looking at getting a new amp. My needs, outside of sounding good and work properly, are that it have four channels (clean, a bit of dirt, heavy rock, and metal). I am looking at the Marshall JVM 410, Egnater Tourmaster, and Blackstar's Series One 1046L6. I have played through all three and all have their "voice" and I could most likely get along with any of them. The Blackstar is the most limited in the sense that it shares EQ's with a pair of channels. Any of you fine folks have any opinions and/or experiences with any of these? Any other suggestions? I play all manner of stuff, Police to U2, Sabbath to Ramones, Iron Maiden to Volbeat. Granted I play none of them well. Thanks in advance for y'all's help.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  2. deadringer

deadringer Senior Member

I'd go with the Marshall JVM 410. It's a Swiss army knife amp, in that it can do a lot of different styles. Not to mention separate EQs for each channel and multiple gain stages in each channel. With MIDI IN & THRU to boot! FX loop and reverb as well.

Plus they are pretty affordable used if you're going that route. I've owned both the head and combo version. :thumb:

I no longer have either now though since I got a Kemper power head. :eek:

I'd also check out a Mesa JP-2C, I own one of those as well and love that thing.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    cybermgk likes this.
  3. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Not my call but I don't see the point of anything past 2 - 3 Channels.

Good luck.

:cheers2:

4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I would go Marshall or Egnater, in that order. Another option, a bit more expensive, but better built than either the Marshall or Egnater would be the Mesa Road King. Completed ebay auctions show the Series I RK going as low as $1035 and as high as $1700.....

Rhust likes this.
  5. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

As I mentioned, I am looking to get 4 different levels of gain/dirt. I did not mention that I am doing away with my pedals. But thank you for your reply

6. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

I did look at used RodKings, they seemed a bit out of my price range, and I have not seen one in person to try out. Thanks for the suggetion

7. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

Thanks for the post and the support of the JVM. The JP-2C is real $$$$$$

8. kherman

kherman Senior Member

9. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

Check out the Panama Inferno 100.

10. jimmer_5

jimmer_5 Senior Member

Honestly, I think you'd do very well with a Mesa Mark V. It's only three channels, but it's super versatile. There are so many usable tones, even if you are just flipping switches. It will cover a huge range of genres easily and give you great footswitchable options.

Rhust likes this.
  11. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

I forgot about these guys. I REALLY need to investigate this guy. Thanks for the tip

NeubyWanKaneuby likes this.
  12. NeubyWanKaneuby

NeubyWanKaneuby Senior Member

I have one, and I like it. It does a lot, and has way more gain than you could probably ever use.

13. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

mesa, and H&K above REALLY need to be considered. they are some of the most versatile TUBE amps available.

honestly, the MarkV:35 or the grandmeister 40 were both on my short list before I went the modelling route... I chose 64 amps over 4 channels.

this was exactly me:
    my 6505mh could get me 3 out of 4, but no clean channel to speak of. you can add a pedal like a boost to turn a clean channel into a little dirty, but nothing you can do can clean up a dirty channel enough...

the other thing, is consider focusing on 2, maybe 3 channels that you can only get with an amp, and then sprinkle on pedals like seasoning a top end steak...

that idea led me to the other amp on my short list... a friedman. it would do clean and dirty, and pedals like OD, boost and EQ could make it do the rest.

but if you really want to buy it for life, and really want the best amp channels... kemper, helix, AxeFX... maybe in that order.

cybermgk likes this.
  14. HCRoadie

HCRoadie Senior Member

The H&K 40 deluxe seems to be spot on. I'd have to hear the FX though. I am currently using a t.c. electronic NOVA system for all my time based FX and EQ and Harmonizer. And t.c. does a killer job. But man that Deluxe 40 sounds good on the u-toobs

El Pablo likes this.
  15. El Pablo

El Pablo Senior Member

I'd take the H&K over all other listings. It's a Swiss army knife with solid base tones.

16. Big John

Big John tastes like chicken V.I.P. Member

From your list Roadie, go with the Marshall. But off list, Diezel Hagen/VH4, Egnater TOL, Rocktron Vendetta, Engl Savage 120.

17. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

keep the nova, but it doesn't hurt to have another option in your pocket... the H&K is serious business.

18. freebyrd 69

freebyrd 69 Premium Member

Go with whichever amp sounds the best for the majority of the sound you need. I have spent 10's of thousands on amp heads and cabs, and I can tell you that you will find amps that do ONE thing spectacularly, and the rest not so much.

Why would you do away with a pedal board needing the variety of sounds you need? Just curious. My current rig is a Friedman BE though a 2x12 Friedman cab, or 4x12, depending on the size of the venue we play.

I minimize pedals too....pretty much a tuner, a Boss DD7, a Wah, and the channel switcher for the amp. We don't play but 3 songs or so where I need a "Clean" tone, and the clean is more than acceptable (though not spectacular) on my amp. The dirt channel is out of this world, and I have a "lead boost" with a separate volume control, so essentially, it's a 3 channel amp.

I think you would do much better with an amp that does an acceptable clean-really nice dirt, and just add ONE pedal to get your metal sound. YMMV.

Kris Ford and Rhust like this.
  19. pedecamp

pedecamp Senior Member

Marshall - the only one I've played from your list and like it very much. I've considered getting a JVM myself some day.

20. Rhust

Rhust Senior Member

wise words ^

if you don't find an amp with all the channel options that really checks all the boxes... go with one that has 2 good channels, independent EQs, and can do clean and light-medium gain on those 2 channels... then push the channels this way or that, with pedals, depending on what's needed... plus, I've found, that no matter how good the channels are, I still want pedals... I love to hit the crunch channel on my 6505 with a glove OD(OCD type pedal) or hit the lead channel with a tube screamer... not so much to add gain in either case, but it just opens up the sound in a way I can't describe

that said, I think the mesa or H&K can do the 2 channel plus pedals too... but opening your options to 2 independent channels+ pedals gives you a lot more options.