4/26 Kauer / Rhoney Guitars open house! (Sacramento, CA)

Discussion in 'MLP Meets' started by dougk, Feb 4, 2014.

1. dougk

dougk Senior Member

That's right, it's already been a year!

Squeeze Inn truck is back. TWO Kegs this time, music, raffle prizes, food, guitarsterbation... food and did I mention beer?

Yep. It's on.

April 26th, more details on our website and facebook coming up. For those of you who haven't been, this is our annual open house. While it is at my shop, it's not a Kauer / Rhoney customer only thing, everyone is welcome. Last year we had 200+ people, great music, food and beer all day. Family, dogs and kids are welcome!

Time: 11am - 6pm (though it usually winds down later)

Where:
    9864 Dino Dr #6
    Elk Grove, CA 95624

Raffle prizes?
    [​IMG]
    This guy for starters. We usually have great stuff from our friends and supporters, Mono, Roadhouse, Wolfetone, Stringdog and more. Paul and I usually make a couple special things for it.

Food: Food this year again is going to be provided by the Squeeze Inn Truck. Bring cash or credit, lunch is usually around 10-12 bucks per person from the truck. It's worth every cent, last year there was a two hour period where everyone was too full to talk or play music LOL.

If you'd like to bring something sweet to share, we certainly won't oppose. We'll have kegs from Rubicon Brewery again this year.

What else to bring? I always encourage people to bring an interesting guitar, amp, pedal ect. It's like a psuedo guitar show, doesn't have to be a Kauer/Rhoney. It's an excuse for a bunch of us (200+ last year) to get together and collectively nerd out about guitars. Just don't bring a blues JR or a Twin Reverb.

The Jam: Goes all day, run mostly by our friend and cohort Dave (bluesmandave) and it's always a blast. Again, you don't have to play a Kauer/Rhoney. Bass players and drummers ESPECIALLY WELCOME. Want to jam on a Kauer/Rhoney? We'll have plenty there to play on. Like always, I'll have all the PA equipment, drumset and bass amp provided. you can bring your own amp or borrow any of mine (fuchs ods, 3 satellites, 66 pro reverb, 66 bassman, 65 bandmaster, greer tbolt30 and whatever else I might acquire between now and then).

If you want to play as a band, we're ok with that under the following conditions:
    1. Plan on 2-3 songs.
    2. You don't get an hour to sound check, tear down our gear and put yours up. Really, if you can't get up there and be making music in 15 minutes or so, it's not worth it.
    3. your drummer, bass player ect may get "volunteered" to help with the jam.
    4. Kauer/Rhoney customer bands will get a little extra special treatment.

-doug

2 people like this.
  2. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

Every year I say I will be there!

Every year I end up gigging...
    But I will be there for at least a little bit :D

3. dougk

dougk Senior Member

Accommodations: If you are coming from out of town and require overnight accommodations, there are two hotels not more than 10 minutes from the shop AND right next to a bunch of food (in-n-out included). Here:

Hilton Garden Inn

and

Holiday Inn Express

Those are the two most convenient accommodations.

4. dougk

dougk Senior Member

Bump. Reminder on a drizzly day here. Going to be so nice in late April, already looking forward to it!

Raffle update: Word is there will also be a Rhoney Oceana JR in the raffle.

5. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

A little preview!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fjzSbS9VyQ]BB, RR, Kauer, hangout - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  6. Martinfrias

Martinfrias Senior Member

Man i would love to go, is a shame i live 6000 miles away, im sure it will be an amazing event crowded with cool people and great guitars, best of luck!

7. dougk

dougk Senior Member

You know we'd love to have you! Not sure it's worth the 6000 mile trip though :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  8. dougk

dougk Senior Member

Getting close!

I built 4 special guitars just for the open house that will be for sale too ;)

Also I still have a couple of NAMM guitars left to check out and ofcourse there are always a smattering of personal and local Kauer's that show up ;)

2 people like this.
  9. Wraptail

Wraptail MLP Vendor

I hope to make it.... might even drag a drummer along with me. :)

10. dougk

dougk Senior Member

That would be fantastic! Believe me, we always need drummers at these things.

Hey anyone who shows up before 11am gets a free raffle ticket. How about that!

1 person likes this.
  11. dougk

dougk Senior Member

So got word that Good Day Sacramento is coming out to do a couple live spots at 9 and 10 am! Since we don't technically start till 11 I'm going to give a free raffle ticket to anyone who shows up before 11 (especially willing to help, look merry, play guitar whatever). Last year the raffle guitar was won on a single ticket!

Also, talking to Jamie from Earthquaker Devices and they may send the monster board up so you can play every EDQ pedal under the sun!

1 person likes this.
  12. dougk

dougk Senior Member

Teaser of 4 very special guitars we built for this years open house (for purchase!). All three flat top Starliners are one time builds only, you can't actually order one with these same options in the future. Very fun to do. Some of these are a still a little to fresh out of the booth for assembly but I couldn't help mocking them up.

[​IMG]
    L-R: Starliner Semi Hollow- TVJones T-Armonds and a Bigsby B5, 2x Starliner Express Gloss top/satin back and a "Starry Night" Starliner Express with pearloid binding/headstock. That one is a 2014 Sunset Limited!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starry Night is my favorite, this is only the second time I've done this finish and I just adore it.

Anyways, looking forward to seeing you all! These will be available for sale at the open house, or on our website after.

2 people like this.
  13. Stealthtastic

Stealthtastic Senior Member

Had a chance to check out Doug's work @ NAMM, very well built instruments and my buddy max LOVES his 7 string. Whoever nabs one won't be disappointed

14. mgenet

mgenet Earth = Cheese Burger Premium Member

Its been ages since I've been to Sac.

Are you near Old Sac?

15. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

Old Sac, east on 50, South on 99, Left at Grant Line...

16. monkeyboy

monkeyboy Senior Member

I definately wont be able to make it this year, but maybe I can convince the band to do a short west coast tour next year that gives us a morning in your area that day. That would be sweet.

17. dougk

dougk Senior Member

Thanks for the kind words and coming by at NAMM!!

About 15-20 minutes south.

Yep pretty much exactly!

Last weekend in April pretty much every year. Would be cool if you made it out next year!

-d

18. dougk

dougk Senior Member

Just a heads up- this event is RAIN OR SHINE!

Weather looks 50/50 right now but we have 6k sqft of space so no problem accommodating everyone inside.

19. dougk

dougk Senior Member

Doh! Here's rehosted and a few highlights

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Full gallery: guitarbque_2014 Photo Gallery by Douglas Kauer at pbase.com

We had about 200 people again this year. Was very busy outside and inside the shop with 2 demo areas and the band area going full tilt all day. Super enjoyable including looking a local who brought a 53(!!!) Tele that his dad bought new. Was super bitchin!

1 person likes this.