3d carved top, I need some opinion

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GooCart, Jan 13, 2009.

1. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Welcome to the forum, Nanchy!

To me, it looks like there's a slight dip in the top, between the bridge and neck pickups (although it might be an optical illusion), istead of it being flat or increasing in height slightly from the neck to bridge pickup. Also, the height of the maple in the horn and waist areas appear to be too high as compared to the lower bout.

Frank

Edit: DOH! How could I have missed it the first time around? One obvious flaw is that the horn is on the wrong fricken side of the body! :lol:

2. V!N

V!N Senior Member

Good eye, Frank ! But it's not an optical illusion, it just looks like one. :)

3. mterry

mterry Junior Member

sorry wrong thread...

4. 73Custom

73Custom Senior Member

very interesting thread :hmm:

thanks for the hard work and dedication Magnus and Tom :applause:

5. Quintin

Quintin Junior Member

Great thread. Are there any profile measurements like the Catto neck pup profile anywhere for the carve if you don't have the luxury of CNC and 3d?

To all those who contributed, great information and plenty to consider!

6. openbrain

openbrain Junior Member

Hello Magnus,

Great work !

To build my own Les Paul, I am currently looking for an accurate Les Paul 3D model or CAD plan...

Is there a way to get them from you ? I went to Bartlett Woodworking, but did not find anything apart from a (great) SG model...

I am especially interested in this LP carved top...

Thank you in advance for your help !

Greetings from Belgium

Stéphane Lieben

7. pshupe

pshupe Senior Member

Tom sells the tops and a really good set of plans. Did you not see those on his site?

Regards Peter.

8. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Peter, I believe Stephane is looking for the actual CAD file.

Stephane, I know this has come up before, and I don't believe Magnus is willing (understandably) to hand over a file that he spent hundreds of hours developing and tweaking...especially since he worked with Tom on this, and Tom has built a business (partially) using this. As much as we like to share information around here, I don't think "our" generosity extends quite that far. There may be others out there willing to share what they have, though, but I don't know how accurate it will be.

Best of luck!

Frank

2 people like this.
  9. openbrain

openbrain Junior Member

Hello Peter and Frank. Thank you for your answers.

Actually, Frank is right : I am looking for the CAD plan of the carved top. I already purchased the paper version of the Les Paul plans on Tom's website. But it misses information about the carved top. As I foreseen to build my guitar from an aluminum block, the parts which are purchasable on the website are useless for me.

I read another thread of 2010 where Magnus said that he planned to sell the Les Paul CAD plans on Tom's website, but there are'nt there...

To clarify, I would like to purchase them, but I do not know where to get in touch with Magnus.

Kind regards from Belgium,

Stéphane Lieben

10. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Hi Stéphane,
    I'm sorry but that file isn't for sale. Just like Frank wrote, the file is being used for Tom's carved top.
    But good luck with the build. Solid aluminum, that's really cool!

11. openbrain

openbrain Junior Member

Hi Magnus,

Thank you to have clarified!

I'll post pictures of my project as soon as I get something.

Kind Regards,

Stéphane Lieben, Belgium

2 people like this.
  12. markyfipple

markyfipple Junior Member

I know i'm late ,but just gone through this entire thread and got lost in all the excellence!:shock:
    Can i ask ,my neck on 1st ever build is 4.2 degrees so the neck plane will be 4.2.....what will the degree be from the end of fret to the bridge?...I'm sure i've seen on John catto's info that its 4.2 then 1.8??
    Lastly do the absolute.2's .3's have to be exact as i can measure 4 degrees and 2 ect,but have no device for measure smaller,is it really needed?..
    Many thanks is possible

13. nuance97

nuance97 Premium Member

The numerical measurement isn't that important. Just route a flat plane that begins at the end of the fingerboard and ends at approximately the stopbar and you'll be in business.

14. Baron burst is back

Baron burst is back Member

I'll try to add a digital burst here if admin will allow me to upload a 350 k image??:fingersx:

Before anyone says your this is your first post-I'm member Baron Burst a long time member but cannot access my account!!
    Thus i'm not a junior member!

15. Baron burst is back

Baron burst is back Member

16. Polco

Polco Junior Member

Hello,
    I need advice.
    I'm on solidworks designer and I have a CNC.
    I would like to make a Les Paul but I can not find the basic plans to draw the carve.
    Can you tell me where I can find the exact quotes to carve it? The rest of the guitar is drawn but I'm completely stuck because of it.
    Thank you for your reply and congratulations on your achievements.
    Sorry for my bad english

17. cmjohnson

cmjohnson Senior Member

I realize I'm probably going to be the odd man out here for saying this, but I recommend that people should not be so hung up over making a guitar that's such an EXACT replica of a great old guitar. Every original '59 Standard was hand made to a large extent and every one of them has its own individual personality and the top carves vary, even the body dimensions vary by as much as half an inch, neck angles vary, and in general this desire for authenticity just does not matter.

Build a good guitar you like, don't try to perfectly copy another one. Who really cares if your top carve is a bit different? I'd rather see you exercise your own creativity rather than just attempt to do what's already been done before.

You don't NEED plans to do the carve! You don't even need templates or arching guides. Use your hands, and your eyes, and your judgement. It's the ONLY way I've EVER carved a top.
    And I'm not very gentle about my carving techniques, either. I use a chainsaw disc on a 4" angle grinder for the rough carve, then switch to a 60 grit sanding disc on that angle grinder, then
    I switch over to variable speed random orbital sanders with various grits from 80 to 600 to do all the rest of the top carving. It takes me less than two hours to fully carve a top this way.

Use your eyes and your hands and your judgement to get the right carve. And when you're getting close, turn out all the lights in your workshop but ONE incandescent lightbulb and use shadows to help see your carves.
    Example of shadowing to see the carve shapes:

[​IMG]

Some of the bodies you see here are original PRS bodies carved by PRS, and some are MY carves done as I described. Can you tell which is which?
    Yep, these are done as I described. By hand and eye. No templates, no patterns, no guides but my own senses. Carved with a chainsaw disc,
    sanding discs, and random orbital sanders. Who needs a violin maker's finger plane? I sure don't!

To me, copying is what you do to build your skills. It's practice against a known reference. Once you are good at making copies, you move on and make original designs and put your own ideas into them. That's what a luthier should do. He should not limit himself to making copies. That is a waste of your hard earned skills and talents.

Be an innovator and creator, once you have learned the skills that copying WILL teach you. I'm NOT against copying, but once you've learned that skill, it's time
    to move on to original creations.

Yeah, I've made some LP-ish guitars. Here are the pics of the two I made. I made no attempt whatsoever to conform to any "vintage specs", I just set out to make them as well as I knew how to make them at the time. Both are from 2002. The blue one just got refinished after being repaired as its owner (my nephew) dropped it and broke
    most of the control cavity away from the body, from the back. (It's nearly all hollow, with a separate carved mahogany top.)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.