3d carved top, I need some opinion

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GooCart, Jan 13, 2009.

1. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Now I've modeled a new carved top based on some information I've got during the last couple of weeks. The overall carve design is influenced by the Green/Moore burst with the flat pup deck and the prominent transition in that area.

I don't know if the the angle ratio is correct so I would like your opinion on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Give it to me, I would appreciate your view.

gplayer, 73Custom, Texas07R8 and 10 others like this.
  2. McOmio

McOmio Junior Member

I think,highpoint of the top was around 14mm on '59bursts.

Didn't someone mentioned this here?

3. rockappalla

rockappalla Senior Member

That's absolutey killer!!! what program are you using? sorry if you've been asked before!

4. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

I use Rhino 3d for modeling and Cinema 4d for rendering.

5. rockappalla

Yeah, I made my top 14mm in the highest point, at least that's what the stewmac plans say (if it's right, but I'm starting to think that the stewmac plan is all wrong and approximate)

6. rockappalla

Sorry for my ignorance, but once you have finished the project in rhino, do you automatically get the "code" for a cnc machine? can you describe how the whole process works(maybe step by step if you have time)? i'm really interested!

Thank you!

7. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Wow, that's absolutely incredible! I thought I was looking at real wood for a minute there! Sorry, I can't help, but I'll be anxious to hear the experts' opinions on this, since I'll be starting some builds myself soon.

Frank

8. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

I've also got the stew mac plans also but I don't trust them. I've got this ratio between the pup plane and the neck plane from a trustworthy source and those angles give this total hight. I think it looks a bit high in the back but I don't know.

I'm glad you like my pics, they are quite fine to have for some quick evaluation.
    About the cnc, yes these files are ready for the cnc cutter. It's up to the engineer to produce the c-code, based on my file, for the machine and then it's just to press the button.

My goal with this is to make a replica with the correct top carve, but the rest are modeled after a '53 GT so the result will be a 53-59 conversion replica.

Earlier I've asked for some reliable carve sections but I haven't got any. This top carve info comes from another source, I think it's reliable but what do I know....

9. duff

duff Senior Member

goocart, nice modeling !
    I was working on a les paul model (3ds max/vray user) but i always have some trouble with the curve. How did u model this ? polygon moddeling ?
    If u would ever consider sharing the curve model in .obj format, it would be greatly appreciated, but i understand if u won't.

Keep it up !

10. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Rhino is nurbs based so there's no polygons. As for the modeling part, I've never modeled anything as difficult as this damned guitar. I do this for a living on a daily basis as I am a industrial designer and I'm quite experienced in 3d but this is difficult. The neck and rest of the body is basic 3d modeling but the top is quite challenging.

The file isn't public at this stage and I haven't decided if it ever will. There's been sooo many hour so far and I'm not ready with it yet.

11. duff

duff Senior Member

hehe, i completely understand, i model as a living together with graphic design, and yes, i also find this to be hard. I have tried everything to get it right. CLosest i got was drawing it with mudbox, then displacing it. I have no experience with nurbs but i'll try your method with splines. Now that i think of it, this would be a great solution. When i find some time i'll try it.

Anyways, great modeling, love to see the final result. I think the curve at the switch control could be better, but it could be the angle.

12. jack briggs

jack briggs Senior Member

Looks good, but I agree with the others. The max top thickness should be 14-16 mm.

Keep working on it!

Cheers,

13. John Catto

John Catto V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I think that looks really sharp!! Actually I think it looks especially good around the switch, it's staying straight and following the neck rather than the body curve with a steep ramp which is what it should do. Too thick at the highest point though, that's too steep a neck angle and it looks like you compensated by making the top thicker at the highest point. I think the angle should be more like 3 degrees but I haven't double checked for a bit.

14. Knarbens

Knarbens Senior Member

I don't know about the of this top, but it's pretty cool modeled! :D I made this historic Les Paul in Cinema 4D as well! I bet the top carve isn't correct and now I see a lot of things that I would do better the next time! :laugh2:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Rhubarb Red

Rhubarb Red Senior Member

So did I! It looks real!

Man, that's absolutely amazing work, truly amazing. I think it looks accurate. After all, what we're quibbling about here, if we beam ourselves back to Kalamazoo between 1958 and 1960, is the difference between the guy doing the final sand on the top carve having a hangover or not. Discrepancies do occur and, y'know, I think that's one of the many charms of the original Lesters.

But this is a fascinating work in progress - keep it up, Magnus!:applause:

16. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Thanks for all your reply. The guy that gave me the information gave me two options. 4.4 neck plane/ 2.11 pup plane and 3.5 neck plane/2.5 pup plane. I'll try the 3.5 and see how it works.
    Feels great that you noticed my struggle with the straight line, John Catto. It's your 2d drawing I've based the profile on.

17. John Catto

Just doublechecked my old neck angle drawing in the illustrator file. With the bridge at a "conservative" height the angle is exactly 4 degrees, if you liked it a little tighter to the body then maybe 3.7 or 8 degrees.

[​IMG]

(print at 150 dpi for actual size BTW)

18. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member

Thanks John. I though that the pup plane reached all the way to the end of fingerboard, but this makes it a lot easier.
    Would it be possible for you to send me the illustrator file?
    magnus@goocarts.com

19. John Catto

sure, done

20. GooCart

GooCart V.I.P. Member