335 for a 1998 Les Paul Standard... Straight swap??

Discussion in 'Gibson Les Pauls' started by p90rules, Nov 9, 2018.

1. p90rules

p90rules Senior Member

So I've got an opportunity to do a straight swap with my 2004 cherry 335 for an Ebony 1998 LP standard. The LP is slightly more road worn than my 335 but just wondered if you'd consider this a fair swap.... I'm looking to trade for a LP and the guy who's quite local to me rates his LP very highly which I suppose he would anyway... Would appreciate your wisdom before I move on this guys .. Cheers

2. Breezin

Breezin Senior Member

Don't do it. If you want LP just buy it outright and keep the 335.
    If you give up the 335 you will regret it eventually.

Frogfur, gnappi, Telechamp and 3 others like this.
  3. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

I personally would not do it but I just scooped up my 335 last month. I will say, the 90's Les Pauls are supposedly the "good wood years". I don't personally subscribe to that theory, but it is a theory people have, so I thought I would throw it out there since you were looking for opinions.

I'm with Breezin, this sounds like something you'll end up regretting.

One more question, is yours a custom shop model or a Gibson USA offering.

timbraun likes this.
  4. Cjsinla

Cjsinla Senior Member

The 335 might be worth more than the LP. And if the LP is so good why does he want to trade it? Why not trade for a week and see if you really like the LP?

5. p90rules

p90rules Senior Member

Here's the 335.. Not sure I'd want to trade for a week . Dont know the guy well enough really.. I think he buys and sells a bit IMG_20181021_155254.jpg

6. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I wouldn't trade the 335 . More info about it would be very helpful . Like is it a CS built or Memphis .
    What I recall about Memphis built 335's from that time is that they were a hit or miss type thing . If you got a good 1 , It's better to keep it .

IIRC Memphis did a run of 335 Anni. guitars (Around that time) that are very good guitars And worth more then a USA Standard LP .... So you'd be loosing $$$ with a trade . Is it 1 of those ? They came with COA's that would let you know what you have . If you need help understanding the COA ... Post a pic of it .....

TRY the guitar (LP) before committing to anything ...
    A re-seller of guitars will say a lot of things ,. Testing is the only way to know .
    The "Good Wood years" has been "over used" Most had that "name" attacked to it were CS made .
    But to sell guitars ,some Vendors will do what Ever it takes ....
    "Good Wood" or "Not Good Wood" makes no difference , if the guitar does do it for you ....

Also , You need to check that LP completely so you know what you ae getting .
    If the seller is close to you , that should be easy to do . If you need help, post pics of everything.
    I'm sure many will Opine for you . Which can be very helpful ....

IMO , Just don't jump . There are K's of guitars out there so finding 1 ain't difficult . At all .

7. p90rules

p90rules Senior Member

Thanks for the info guys .. Tbh not sure if this is a CS 335 or not .. .. I thought it was just a 335 dot ... I'll put some more pics up and you might be able to tell me .. IMG_20181021_155434.jpg

8. p90rules

p90rules Senior Member

9. p90rules

p90rules Senior Member

10. Jeremiah

Jeremiah The Worst Premium Member

That looks like a normal production model to me, but I can't say for sure. I still wouldn't do the trade even if it was.

11. bluesguitar1972

bluesguitar1972 Senior Member

335 is worth more than an Standard LP

wilmacat16 likes this.
  12. Lightningflash

Lightningflash Senior Member

Depends, if you don't like the 335 and his LP is exactly what you think you want, then go for it.

Have your tastes changed or just looking to try something different?

335's are cool but if you're not into them or that particular one then move on to something you think you'd like better.

13. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

I don't think the values are wildly unequal, but I think a "regular" 335 is typically worth a little more than a '90s Standard, especially an opaque-finished one (particularly one with scratches and dents). If it was a +top with a transparent finish, it might be a different story.
    I'd approach it like this:
    1. Go check out the Standard and see what you think.
    2. If you like it and want to make the trade, try to get a couple hundred bucks thrown in -- you have a reasonable argument.
    3. If they absolutely won't budge, decide whether or not you "absolutely have to have it"
    4. If so, swap 'em and never look back -- a forever guitar is worth a little short-sale. If not, walk away.

rjwilson37 likes this.
  14. rjwilson37

rjwilson37 Senior Member

Selling any Gibson on Craig's List and getting around the price you want is really hard. So selling the 335 and then buying an LP that you like/want and making a small profit in the end is not very easy most of the time I have found. It can be very nerve racking with all the low balling people offering you $1000 less than you are asking and such.

Anyway, grab the LP and give a test spin when you go to make the trade. Try and make sure you plug it in and don't be to quick to make the decision, give it a good test spin. You will know if you like how it feels\plays in your hands. You will know if it is worth it to you once you get the LP in your hands.

15. p90rules

p90rules Senior Member

I've had a few 335's and les Paul's over the years, and it's been a while since I had a 335 I recently came into a bit of money and thought I'd treat myself to another 335, but finding it a bit cumbersome, so thinking LP is the way to go

16. Macronaut

Macronaut Senior Member

I have a 2014 Memphis Dot that with a Cherry Satin finish and (if I recall correctly) retailed for about $2,400 or so (gloss finishes typically cost more). For whatever reason, the ones with trapezoid inlays jump up in price considerably.

I can not imagine parting with mine as it's so sweet. If you don't absolutely love your 335 and after a hands on evaluation of the LP in question, it just may not be such a lop sided trade.

I agree with those that suggest either asking for some cash with the trade or just keep it and eventually add a nice LP to compliment your 335. I will never part with mine.
    IMG_0095 (2).JPG

Attached Files:

PierM likes this.
  17. Tobaccoburst83

Tobaccoburst83 Senior Member

This!

No one can tell you what to do but I would keep the 335.

18. Macronaut

Macronaut Senior Member

If it was a 335 Studio, it would be no brainer, unless you loved it.

19. budg

budg Senior Member

No way I would make that trade . The 335 is worth more coin than a plain jane LP Standard. The 335 would be alot harder to replace imo. The market is flooded with good Les Pauls.

Breezin and Tobaccoburst83 like this.
  20. p90rules

p90rules Senior Member

Thanks guys ... I'm pretty much decided now to keep it and sell some other gear in order to get one .. Wisdom much appreciated

Jeremiah, Breezin and Telechamp like this.