335 Electronics Installation (a.k.a. How to take years off your life)

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by hillbilly, Apr 8, 2009.

1. b3john

b3john Senior Member

What are the size differences between the f-holes in a 339 vs. a 335...

2. Mookakian

Mookakian Senior Member

ha, tubing on the pots...genious :) bye bye floss :thumb:

3. G Man

G Man Senior Member

Just finished my first semi-hollow re-wire on my new to me 1994 Ibanez AS80. All new electronics, CTS pots, Switchcraft switch and jack, Gibson Classic 57/57+ set for pickups. Thank god for the internet, or I can't even imagine having tackled this job. Like building a ship in a bottle. Slow and steady with the right tools, (aquarium tubing,) and she came out great. Big improvement in the tone department, and so much more control with the better pots.

Also, big shout out to hillbilly for this thread and his video showing how it all works. Couldn't have done it without you. No entry through the bridge pickup on this one, had to squeeze through the f-hole, and with big old PIO caps, it was somewhat of a feet.

Tech tip: Some mellow jazz cranking in the background helped slow me down enough to get it right the first time.

b3john likes this.
  4. fuzz

fuzz Member

"Dude, come check this out, this guy on the Internet made his guitar into a bong!"
    "Whoa, quad pot shafts!"

Spent an entire day last year rewiring a 335--wish I would known about this then. I guess I can now reconsider my "NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN!" decision :)

gypsyseven likes this.
  5. hillbilly

hillbilly V.I.P. Member

A few years ago, we had an old 335 come in for a set of new electronics. The pots were enclosed in 'cans' inside the guitar, stock. We had to cuts the cans open with a Dremel tool through the F-hole (ever play the game 'Operation'?)... :Ohno: ...and remove the electronics through the F-hole...

6. fuzz

fuzz Member

That's how they took out my wisdom teeth!

7. copperheadroad

copperheadroad Senior Member

Heres another video
    & enlarging the holes on a import
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsHQKtU3zk8&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL5D9652B58C65D883[/ame]

8. floatch

floatch Senior Member

I'm about to cry. I just completed mine and have no sound. Just a buzz when I touch either pickup with my hand, no sound other than that.
    I used kite string to install everything, wasn't so bad, but the whole time thought about how good it would be to never have to do again.
    I hate the idea of taking it all out and doing it over. Any ideas what might be wrong based on my symptoms, guys?

9. jimbob137

jimbob137 Senior Member

Great Thread. Any pointers with regard to vintage wiring scematics for a semi hollow?

Im trying to rewire my 137 classic, but besides pots and caps I have no clue the difference between vintage and modern wiring for a guitar like this.

Any help would be much appretiated.

10. hillbilly

hillbilly V.I.P. Member

One thing I always do is attach the pickups to the harness and test it OUTSIDE the guitar before I even begin installation. :cool:

To answer your question, it sounds like you have something hooked up backwards...make sure your pickups' hot/'+' is going to the leg of the pot, and the pickup's ground going to the back of the pot. Make sure your switch is wired correctly, too...

Check your signal flow: pickups--->Volume pot 'in' (lower leg)--->Volume pot 'out' (middle leg)--->Switch 'in'--->Switch 'out' to jack.

You can >contact me< if you have any other questions... :cheers:

11. hillbilly

hillbilly V.I.P. Member

'Vintage' & 'Modern', to me, are just words to describe 'warmer' and 'brighter'...I like 50's/'Vintage' wiring with PIO caps.

12. jordans0nly

jordans0nly Senior Member

I just got an Ibanez AS73 this week and at some point, i'd love to upgrade the pups and harness, but, since i have NO skill wiring at all, I can't imagine how much it's going to cost me to have someone to do this for me, lol..

Oh boy..

13. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers Junior Member

Amazing job you did on the 335 Billy. I'm in the same position now, but with a 135, who apparently went out and had a swim... In muriatic acid, thus needing a complete wiring overhaul. (There are more issues, like a maestro vibrola *facepalm*, mounted 5mm off-axis *double facepalm*, secured with glue to the top *triple facepalm*)

I have a question about the black tubing/heat shrink around the wires to the pots. Is that of any particular use (groundloops?), or just for aesthetics (and it can be neglected)?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(The F-holes are too small for the CTS pots to come through (especially because the groundwires are mounted on the side of the pot, giving me an extra 3mm of sheer joy whilst trying to pull them out of a cavity half the size of a soapbar P90 :eek: )

14. freddarl82

freddarl82 Senior Member

Wow! Those are some nasty looking pots!

I'm not Billy, but the black tubing (or heatshrink) is used as an insulator to prevent the outer shield (ground) from touching any "hot" leads on the pots (which could inadvertently happen as the electronics are pulled through to their respective holes). In theory, it should not be necessary in a perfect world, but it's cheap insurance given the effort that is normally required to finish a hollowbody rewire...

1 person likes this.
  15. Mr.Fingers

Mr.Fingers Junior Member

Yeah, they are in a pretty bad shape... Delicious static crackle and hiss when you tried to turn them :D

The headstock also had it's share!

[​IMG]

Thanks for the explanation on the tubing. I don't have any tubing here at home, but I will recycle some from the old wiring to secure the most crucial points.

16. deadlyweasel

deadlyweasel Premium Member

dude... that is friggin genius! killer thread!

17. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

Thanks so much for this! I followed the process last night and it went very smooth!

18. josep_cla

josep_cla Senior Member

Wow! Two vintage caps per pickup!
    Always wanted to do that to any of my guitars!!

BTW, you killed my GAS for a 335 :D

19. hillbilly

hillbilly V.I.P. Member

Sorry it took so long for me to respond to the thread....I'm a busy man.... :cool:

The heat-shrink is there so parts won't ground-out against each other by accident. You never know how things are going to 'move' on the install, or with years on the road, moving, bumping, playing, packing....etc....all it takes is one part that shouldn't touch another part, and then ..>DEAD SHORT<...no signal....

The braided wire is also routed/soldered around the OUTSIDE of the pots for a cleaner installation, as one of my pet-peeves is to see wiring through the F-hole.... :hmm:

1 person likes this.
  20. chautygorcy

chautygorcy Junior Member