3 sets or 1 set for almost the same price?

Discussion in 'Tonefreaks' started by 5F6-A, Sep 25, 2017.

1. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I really like the new D'addario NYXL strings but at £12.50 a set here in the UK, I wonder if it's not better to buy 3 sets of Rotosound strings at £4.95 a set. Both are really good makes; the D'addario last longer and they sound a little bit more present but the difference in price is staggering.

2. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I love my guitar with fresh strings. I'd rather play on cheap new strings than expensive corksniffer ones. I always buy my D'Addario's in bulk packs of ten to have plenty on hand.

Thumpalumpacus and WhiteEpiLP like this.
  3. Axis39

Axis39 Senior Member

I play Thomastik Infeld jazz Swings on most of my guitars... Here in the US, those are 25 bucks a set.

But, they tend to last me 12 months or so at a go. Economically, they work out for me. Regular round wounds tend to last me a month to six weeks on my regular gigging guitars.

4. penguinchit

penguinchit Senior Member

I used to be totally fine and happy with the $5/pack strings until a friend turned me on to NYXLs. They were a big enough difference that that's all I use now and it's worth the $7 increase in price. I do change strings less as they last longer, so that's good enough for me.

I also do the Guitar Center String Club. $20/year and each month I get $5 off a set of strings. If I figure the cost of the club into the price of the strings and take out the discount, they end up around $8.60ish per set, which is better. But then again, if I did the Ernie Balls at $5/pack, it would be $1.60 per set...

But I do stock up on them over the year. I probably change strings once every 3-4 months, so my stockpile grows.

5. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

I must say I like the NYXL.....

Pop1655 likes this.
  6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

There is nobody but you that can answer this question for yourself

Pop1655 and northernguitarguy like this.
  7. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

There are very few manufacturers that actually produce their own strings (some are, like DR. Strings and Rotosound, for example) however most are outsourced like car components and stuff, so the customer ends up with the option of being offered different prices for what is basically the same thing.
    After modelling my wife ended up still working in the fashion industry under various roles, and the situation is that you get few factories making essentially the same stuff for top brand names and lesser ones, even though one has to admit the top brands have a better quality control, making absolutely sure that child labour is not involved and that the product is up to their standard, of course: however once that stuff is produced who's to say that the manufacturer doesn't produce it in bigger quantities and release it under some of its own brands...?
    Guitar string wise I think I've pretty much tried almost everything available, from run-of-the-mill to expensive boutique stuff, and I honestly found the difference to be minimal, so for my Fenders I use Fender Super Bullet strings as they feel & sound great and I really dig the "bullet end" factor which to me is a perfect fit (pun intended!) for their guitars, while on Gibson's and the like I use Ernie Ball or Rotosound.
    Rotosound I found to be as good as the very best, they are made in house in South London so more power to them, and they also come with an extra high E string; it's not much but they didn't have to do that, in this world of rip-off's it's a much appreciated gesture also in light of the fact that their strings don't break easily, and I do abuse them!

8. Dolebludger

Dolebludger Premium Member

I am not a string expert, but I have found D'Addirio strings to feel a bit "tight" considering the gauge. So I am not a fan of them. But the only way you can pick your favorite brand and gauge is to try some out. I personally like DR Pure Blues and Ernie Ball Cobalts -- both in 9-42 gauge. But, hey, that is just me.

9. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

I see no reason to change my D'Addario XLs for anything else. They sound great from the get go, they feel just right in any of my instruments, they last long enough always sounding great, the price is affordable and you can find'em practically anywhere in the world. What's not to like?

I've been using'em for over 40 years and they've never let me down.

Thumpalumpacus and Axis39 like this.
  10. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

I've been using Rotosounds as my go-to for a few years, no complaints on my end. Ok, one complaint, they used to give you 2 high E strings per pack but they seemed to have stopped

11. Les Paulverizer

Les Paulverizer Senior Member

Bought few packs last month, they still came with 2 high E's...?

12. Pop1655

Pop1655 Premium Member

I'm no expert and I don't claim to know or be right.
    For me there's some little something about NYXL's that just seems to feel and work better for me. They last me long enough that the price doesn't really come into play for me. I'm also a complete convert to 9.5's. NYXL 9.5's just feel right to me.

13. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

:dunno: mine didn't, the last 2 sets were stainless steel, all the ones before that were nickle plated. It's been about a year since I bought a pack that had a 2nd E string

14. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

ME <--- Cheap bastard

Webstrings. Pure Nickel, 11-50 set, $3.99 and they last as long as any uncoated string.

D'Addario got me a bit pissed off when the mods on their company forum began to crap all over some Christian artists on account of their faith some years ago, but I still buy their strings for my Adamas SMT, but only because they sound the best on that guitar.