3 pickup and Free-way Switch - help me troubleshoot

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by nagha, Jan 6, 2014.

1. nagha

nagha Senior Member

Greetings -

Last year, I bought an Epi Black Beauty 3 with the idea of modding it. I picked up GFS VEH bridge/neck and GFS Mean P90 neck. I wanted to be able to use the P90 in series with the humbuckers. After extensive research, I decided I would go with the Free-way 6 way switch. I wrote to the company and Alasdair kindly provided the following schematic (see below).

Briefly, the following scenarios are available:

1 - Neck
    2 - Neck/Bridge (parallel)
    3 - Bridge

4 - Neck SC + P90
    5 - P90
    6 - Bridge SC + P90

There are 3 vol pots and 1 master tone pot with a push/pull. Pulling the tone knob should put the P90 in series (rather than parallel).

My problem is that I have wired it as per the diagram. I just can't seem to make it work. I don't know if it's my wiring (probable) or the schematic. I was hoping that throwing more brains at the problem would identify a possible schematic problem.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. VintageGuitarGuy

VintageGuitarGuy Senior Member

What original epi components are you using?

3. nagha

nagha Senior Member

None.

All the pots are new. The capacitor is new. The wiring is new.

The only Epi parts are the hardware.

4. nagha

nagha Senior Member

So here are the measured outputs. I completely redid the soldering tonight. There's some buzz that I need to eliminate. The measurements confirm what I would expect from each pickup. I ran the numbers in excel to make sure that the resistances would be what one would expect from serial/parallel equations.

The output is thinner and weaker than I expect when I put the P90 in serial mode. I don't know what to make of that. I was expecting a slighlty louder and bigger sound when putting the pickup in serial wiring with the humbucker. :hmm:

Again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. tonedragon

tonedragon Senior Member

I have a SG 3 that had a six way rotary switch. Could not change from bridge to neck on the fly while playing live without ease. Finally decided on a regular three way switch. Three master volumes and a master tone control. All pickups are louder and fuller sounding. Good luck on your quest for tone.:lol:

6. nagha

nagha Senior Member

I sorted out the issues. I was having phase issues with the P90 so I reversed the wiring. I also cleaned out some of the soldering. I will post some samples when I get time. It's awesome. These are the combinations I'm able to achieve:

Neck HB
    Neck + Bridge HB (parallel)
    Bridge HB

Neck HB + P90 serial
    Neck + Bridge HB (parallel) with P90 serial
    Bridge HB + P90 serial

Neck SC + P90 parallel
    P90 solo
    Bridge SC + P90 parallel

Neck SC + P90 serial
    P90 solo
    Bridge SC + P90 serial

Obviously, when I turn P90 volume down to zero, I can get neck and bridge SC by themselves. It's pretty awesome and I am having lots of fun exploring all the new tone options. I highly recommend it for anyone with a 3 pickup Les Paul/SG to try. I think the P90 adds a whole different dimension that a 3rd HB doesn't bring to the table.

The Free-way 6 way switch (part 0055-g on Stewmac) is very sturdy and the documentation is very clear. The support they provide is top notch. And for the functionality it provides, it's worth every penny.

7. sebass

sebass Junior Member

Are you still using this 6 way switch 2 years later. Did you end up playing with different pups as well?