2x12 versus 1x12 for humbuckers

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by mark123, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mark123

mark123 Junior Member

i have a friend who has owned a boatload of high dollar guitars and amps. he insists that no humbucker sounds right thru a 1x12 speaker amp, it has to be at least 2x12 to sound "right". have any of you folks ever heard this before, is it true?

another thing i've wondered is how a humbucker les paul sounds thru a reissue bassman and thru a super reverb.

2. Sean French

Sean French Senior Member

Not true.
    My Two-Rock 1x12 cab is my favorite.
    I also dig my TR 2x12 cab.
    It boils down to personal preference which is relative.

[​IMG][/IMG]

3. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Member

As Sean says, it's not true. It's way too subjective to make a statement like that. It may be his opinion, but it's not a fact

It is all down to what each individual feels is the sound they like, whether it be a valve head driving 2 4x12 cabs or a solid state amp with a single 10 inch speaker.

To be honest, I sound very much the same whether I am playing one of my humbucker guitars, or a P90 or single coil. I use a variety of amps including:

A Mesa F-50 combo (sometimes with a 1x12 ext cab)
    An Orange Tiny Terror with 1x12 cab
    Fender Blues Deville

Whether I use ext cabs or not, it's still roughly the same sound.

I would suggest the best is to trust your ears, not your friends words

4. FrankiePRS

FrankiePRS V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

ALWAYS sage advice.

5. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

I use a mesa F50 with a single 12" AlNiCo speaker. Humbuckers sound fine through that but even better going through a Boss '59 Bassman pedal first.

6. johnreardon

As a matter of interest. Which speaker are you using with the F-50?

What didn't you like about Black Shadow?

7. Nugget

I contacted Ted Weber regarding speakers. He suggested a lightly doped alnico 12". It's not one of his regular looking speakers. It took about 10 hours to settle in prior to which it sounded pretty average and no better than the Black Shadow. Now it sounds really sweet.

What didn't I like about the Black Shadow? Well, it may not have been all the speaker's fault. I miss the sag of a valve rectifier and the F50's is solid state. Rather than piss about with valves I thought I would tackle the speaker first. the improvement is dramatic. I still wish I had a valve rec. Maybe on my next Mesa.

8. johnreardon

I have a Celestion Gold in an ext cab, so going to try that with my F50 when I next take it out. Although, I must admit, I am very happy with the sound of the Black Shadow, so will probably leave that in the F-50 and use the Gold with my Orange TT

9. Nugget

Let me know how you get on.

10. hedzeppelin

hedzeppelin V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Your friend is incorrect.

11. Big Mike

Big Mike V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

There's no right or wrong.

I'll swear up and down it's an open back 2x12, Frankie for example will tell me I'm an idiot, and only a 4x12 is right. :D

There's no right or wrong, only what pleases your ears.

12. johnreardon

Just tried the The F-50 driving the Gold.

Only in the house, and the Gold is in an ext cab, so not a very good comparison, however it's a start.

Left all the controls on the F-50 the same and used the clean and drive channels, plus the contour. The Gold was a lot brighter than the Black Shadow, however, I'm think this is mainly down to the different cab sizes and wood.

What I did notice is clarity of notes. The Gold was significantly clearer than the Black Shadow, especially on the bass notes.

I am going to leave the Shadow in the Mesa as I mainly bought the Gold to use with my Orange. However, next time I use an ext cab with the F-50, I'll try the Gold cab instead of the Mesa widebody cab I have.

13. lp59aholicDon

lp59aholicDon V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

So many freakin variables, not every 2x12 or 1x12 or any other speaker configurations gonna work for every gig. so far 1X12 Marshall JCM I have and the " Re issue" Pro Reverb I just moved along were pretty good for most of the places I have played