2019 Custom Shop Reissue Changes Sneak Peek!

Discussion in 'Historics & Reissues' started by dleake, Dec 12, 2018.

1. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

Kava maybe??

:cheers2:

bulletproof and mudface like this.
  2. GearHo

GearHo Senior Member

That's not grass...no manscaping on the islands, it's a rule.

Jer, bulletproof and mudface like this.
  3. swampblues

swampblues Senior Member

I always loved hearing the story of Ren Wall talking about neck sizes and script placement on 50's LP's. Story says elderly ladies who worked for Gibson in the 50's never, ever measured where the script went and no one sanding necks ever used to measure each LP neck to make sure they were identical so in his words "How the Hell can you make a guitar identical that was never identical LOL

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    RAG7890, DanD, GearHo and 5 others like this.
  4. wildhawk1

wildhawk1 Senior Member

It should be a new Les Paul inlay instead of silk screen on guitars of their price point.

swampblues likes this.
  5. UEF

UEF Senior Member

Indeed - but of the ones I've seen there seemed to be a general effort to get the silkscreen 'in the middle', as if a line were drawn upwards from the top of the truss rod cover. Whereas Historics seem to have it slightly to the right.

6. BSeneca

BSeneca Senior Member

I get what you are saying, but I think that could backfire bigtime. If your guitar fades to an unpleasant color they will have to address that through warranty. Not a reissue, but I bought a 85 Custom new. It was pewter, not silver burst but all pewter. Looked tits new. Through years of bars and cigarette smoke the clear coat dulled and gave it a hideous green hue. Now it wasn't something that I called Gibson on. I later traded on a Firebird, but if a customer, especially a non-playing customer more of a collector wants cherry sunburst and it fades to Ice Tea which he hates. It will be a problem I think

jktxs, LP-Viking, kingsxman and 2 others like this.
  7. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Never been that Drunk or that ..... So it's really the Mind of the person who puts a grass skirt on that might need to be concerned about ....:facepalm::wow:

The problem above is an EASY issue to solve ..CHOICE ., Order a M2M ??? Give the choice of what type finish/you want that states if it fades into a color you don't like , that's what you bought and is not under warranty for the color it fades (if does at all) Into .

I'd bet Many would buy that
    ... :beer:

Jer, mudface and DanD like this.
  8. Christian Eidsmoe

Christian Eidsmoe Junior Member

Amen toymaker, so much anger and drama over nothing. Les Pauls have changed every year and will continue to. I actually think that's part of the fun! BTW that "gold color" looks very similar to my 2005 Classic 1960 "reissue".

9. gravedanger

gravedanger Senior Member

I love the discourse in this thread!

One comment...if y'all think the new CEO will be focused on silk screen placement and dye composition y'all have another thing coming.

We all know logo placement is top priority when you're dealing with bankruptcy.

Carry on!

LP-Viking, kingsxman and RAG7890 like this.
  10. kingsxman

kingsxman Senior Member

THIS. In addition to this, if they went back to an original nitro formula and guitars finishes started checking...they'd have people sending them back for warranty replacements. We forget that we are the minority as far as the people that buy historic Les Pauls. The vast majority of people are people who just want a good playing and sounding Les Paul and want to be able to say they have a historic. They're not as anal about the little things like we are. They'd be pissed if their finish faded and cracked....

As has been said for a long time, we'll never see everything addressed all at once. Gibson is probably doing the right thing from a marketing 101 standpoint of rolling out a few changes each year. As long as the product doesnt get worse in quality....they will keep people coming back for upgrades. Otherwise...they would just buy one the year that they got it all right and be done. Honestly, if I was running Gibson I'd probably do the same thing. It keeps guys like us on the forums.

And yes, the 2013's and then the true historics are some of the finest instruments Gibson ever came out with. There are obviously good ones that came before that but I dont know that the consistency of "goodness" was there as much as it is after 2013.

11. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer The Three G's Premium Member

I have one of the 2015 TH.

The headstock is stunning.

[​IMG]

12. 519tbarr

519tbarr Senior Member

It's not that I hate the "Custombuckers" - there is a certain part of them that sounds relatively vintage-esq. I find them slightly brittle the way they track distortion. I own 2 reissues and the similarities are there in both guitars.
    Personally my favourite Gibson pickups are the Tribute 59's which are weak but my gosh they sound good when you roll the tone caps down around 9-8 & 1/2 - seems to be the sweetspot.
    I think Gibson does itself a major dis-service in the lack of advertising/marketing/youtube videos and detailed descriptions on their pickup line (pickups and accessories) as a whole.
    It will be interesting to see what they do with the 2019 Custom Shop lineup none the less. But pricing is going to be key - if they over price it's going to continue to erode their market share.

Jer and Duane_the_tub like this.
  13. mudface

mudface Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent Double Platinum Supporter Premium Member

Gibson does not warranty the finish on their guitars....They never have.
    This is pic of the actual warranty and this portion describes what isn’t covered. Number 10 covers the finish.
    E06DB56C-3595-480D-8B47-5E391F3E89C8.jpeg
    DA025B2C-5990-4E52-B8D1-2FED43E86CF9.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  14. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

Hmmm...

Another year model coming soon.

Merry Xmas to all!

15. Jewel the Sapphire

Jewel the Sapphire Senior Member

Is the nut a different material and shape aswell?

Attached Files:

16. goodvibes

goodvibes Premium Member

17. Crotch

Crotch Support MLP Veterans & Vendors Platinum Supporter Premium Member

A whole lot of nothing, either positive or negative for me here

18. Alex Dovnar

Alex Dovnar Senior Member

This is more like the truth. But still does not reach.

19. 519tbarr

519tbarr Senior Member

It's a nothing-burger! Kind of silly on Gibson's part to release a head-stock image and hope people get excited by changing the placement of the Les Paul logo & colour of the Gibson inlay.

20. BDW60

BDW60 Senior Member

I dunno why they wouldn’t expect it. We have been getting excited over silly minutea for years.